Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

Just now, Tom13 said:

Yeah. I think you're right tbh. I did like him, and even thought criticism of him was harsh, but i think it may have been right. I think his early reputation proceeds (right word?) him a fair bit. How often do you see him dominate a forward? Hardly ever. His passing is always safe, he's prone to an error. He hasn't filled me with confidence for a long time.

He played his part in the run in when we had the great escape and he was very good for most of 20/21 and was probably worth an England call up.

Last 18 months though he just looks a very average premier league CB and indeed more backup quality now than week in week out starter.

Some of his passes are horrific. One v Leicester he hit straight at one of their midfielders who played it through and then Iheanacho missed the one on one and today Odegaard really should've scored so he could've easily cost us more goals than Mings but for poor finishing by opposition.

Mings-Konsa simply is too error prone these days to be a defensive partnership that can get us close to european qualification so it needs to be broken up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

He played his part in the run in when we had the great escape and he was very good for most of 20/21 and was probably worth an England call up.

Last 18 months though he just looks a very average premier league CB and indeed more backup quality now than week in week out starter.

Some of his passes are horrific. One v Leicester he hit straight at one of their midfielders who played it through and then Iheanacho missed the one on one and today Odegaard really should've scored so he could've easily cost us more goals than Mings but for poor finishing by opposition.

Mings-Konsa simply is too error prone these days to be a defensive partnership that can get us close to european qualification so it needs to be broken up.

He arrived with a lot of promise but he’s stagnated for a good while now. He shouldn’t be an automatic starter, but I hope that with quality competition it pushes him onwards. Not seen the progression you’d hope. Yes, Mings makes mistakes but he brings so much more to his game but with Ezri? He’s more of a passenger and just isn’t the level you’d expect given the level of league experience he now has. 

• Like 1

Was driving me nuts second half as I was sat in North Stand right behind him. He just kept faffing with the ball trying to square it to Emi all the time. Knew it would backfire before too long. All he had to do was take a touch and fire it up field. May not be pretty but just get rid out of the box. He did some good stuff too but generally needs to give his head a wobble.

• Haha 1

Glad I'm not the only one seeing this.

Konsa has become a bit of a problem for us when playing out of the back. He's not comfortable enough on the ball and tends to panic when he plays the pass. He slows the game down with his indecisions, and it means that we struggle to beat the press. When playing out from the back it should be quick switching between the centre backs until an option opens up and you beat the first line.

Defensively Konsa is sound, which makes it a shame. Under Gerrard he did everything that was being asked of him, unfortunately for him under Emery he just can't do what we need him to do. Carlos will no doubt replace him when he's back fit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Glad I'm not the only one seeing this.

Konsa has become a bit of a problem for us when playing out of the back. He's not comfortable enough on the ball and tends to panic when he plays the pass. He slows the game down with his indecisions, and it means that we struggle to beat the press. When playing out from the back it should be quick switching between the centre backs until an option opens up and you beat the first line.

Defensively Konsa is sound, which makes it a shame. Under Gerrard he did everything that was being asked of him, unfortunately for him under Emery he just can't do what we need him to do. Carlos will no doubt replace him when he's back fit.

I think in a defensive system he would be fine and follows instructions but on the ball he wont be a top 10 Premier League player

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see him shine as an Emery RB.

No chance. His distribution is too poor and he can't run the line. He's totally the wrong type of player to play out wide unless you're in total defensive mode or aren't reliant on FB width. 

• Like 1

I'm quite surprised to see a lot of criticism about Konsa.  I think he's the more suited centre back (than Mings) for what Emery wants to achieve.  He keeps passing short and simple.

The error to let Nketiah through was obviously a big one but, by and large, I think he's been decent recently and is doing what Emery wants.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm quite surprised to see a lot of criticism about Konsa.  I think he's the more suited centre back (than Mings) for what Emery wants to achieve.  He keeps passing short and simple.

The error to let Nketiah through was obviously a big one but, by and large, I think he's been decent recently and is doing what Emery wants.

I think it’s vastly the opposite. The CB needs to be able to make passes between the lines to our center mids and strikers and hit switches, especially Konsa to Moreno. 

If we’re building out from the back, it’s crucial that center backs can make good passes between the lines and switches out wide.

Konsa, by stats and by the eye test, can not pass under any pressure and in between the lines. Nor can I ever recall him trying to hit a cross field ball. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

Â