Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

15 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Great goal by Barnes but having watched it several times, got to wonder why konsa pulled out of blocking the shot ?

Think he was fearing he was gonna try and square it.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Much maligned has been solidly brilliant doing his job under Emery

I wouldn't say much maligned and the criticisms of his on-the-ball technical game and risk aversion with passing were fair. He's another player who has worked at it and is getting better - it was clearly a new thing for him and he's stepped up well. 

I think Konsa as much as anyone epitomises the turnaround since Emery came in. Along with a few other players currently back to their best/performing well a lot of fans would have happily let him go a few months ago.

Carlos is going to have a battle on his hands getting into this side, not just for the remainder of this season but beyond and I think that says it all about how well Konsa and Mings are performing. 

Fair play to Ezri though. He quietly goes about things and goes under the radar but he has been excellent this last few months. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He quietly goes about things and goes under the radar

That's a sign of how good he is as a central defender for me, he snuffs things out before it's a problem, or he's already where he needs to be to deal with something without having to bust a gut to get there for a spectacular last ditch tackle. He's a top quality player and against Leicester he was easy our best defender when we were under the kosh, started the move for the first goal and very often his touch and technique were key to us keeping the ball and getting out from the back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, romavillan said:

That's a sign of how good he is as a central defender for me, he snuffs things out before it's a problem, or he's already where he needs to be to deal with something without having to bust a gut to get there for a spectacular last ditch tackle. He's a top quality player and against Leicester he was easy our best defender when we were under the kosh, started the move for the first goal and very often his touch and technique were key to us keeping the ball and getting out from the back.

I think that's a little disrespectful to Mings, as I think they were equally good and important in the game. Successful CBs are almost always part of a partnership, and Konsa and Mings have different functions and complementing strengths, which they've worked on over the course of years playing together. 

5 minutes ago, pete101 said:

I'd be very surprised if he dose not start at right back this weekend, can't see how we can expect Ashley young to play 3 games in one week 

If Young has to rest then it has to be Chambers at RB. No way you break up a successful CB pairing of Mings/Konsa. 

28 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

If Young has to rest then it has to be Chambers at RB. No way you break up a successful CB pairing of Mings/Konsa. 

Chambers is slower than erosion, if the left winger is fast then he will be beyond useless at RB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Could we not play Digne at RB for this one?

I can think of plenty of right footers who've played LB over the years, but can't think of a single left footer who's played RB. I know there's less left footers around but still. To answer your question though - Digne could probably do a job there if he's not expected to contribute much offensively.

Edited by Tom13

Appreciation bump for his good form and surprisingly improved distribution. He set up that first goal against Leicester with a good weighted pass in between the lines and found Luiz and McGinn with several passes against Forest

Admittedly, this has been against a run of teams that have not wanted to press us - Bournemouth, Leicester, then Forest. Let’s see what happens when teams try to press our CB’s now. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 3

Solid centre back, & still young, improved so much under Emery & been pivotal in not rushing Carlos back into the fold with his good form, deserves a new contract in my eyes, sure someone in another post said he got a improved contract couple years ago which I missed if true.

Doesn't get a lot of plaudits and - I'll admit - I thought he was done about 12 months ago.

He was excellent today, both in and out of possession. His partnership with Mings and Martinez is superb.

• Like 4

Really **** good. Covered really well for Mings but assured throughout in and out of possession. Really nailing that pass after triggering the midfield press. Found JJ and Watkins several times behind their midfield. 

Also want to highlight his great tracking of Isak and then Joelinton when he got forward. Always been a slight weakness to his game (tracking in behind like Solanke getting a free run) but he knew when to follow and when to pull the line today. Excellent performance. 

I feel like Konsa/Mings have been our centre backs forever!

No way Carlos comes in for Konsa at the moment. You can’t drop a player playing as well as he is. 

Long may it continue. Absolutely daft that he hasn’t got an England cap.

Â