Matt Targett

villan-scott

I think he’s an excellent player, he offers us an outlet when we’re attacking, when he links up with Grealish, it’s amazing to watch. The only time I’ve seen him be dominated defensively was by Adama Traore at Molineux against Wolves, all he had to do was stand off him a couple of yards but he just kept diving in. Apart from that match, he’s been defensively sound all season for me, well worth the reported £11m fee

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

For the money we spent he's very average.

This is it.

He'll look good when we're good. When Grealish is flying and gifting him the ball on a plate.

Does very little when our backs are to the wall. £11-14m is £6-9m too much.

• Like 4

He is a good attacker but not a good defender. Full backs can get away with it sometimes but sadly not in our system. Needs a Snoddy or an Ashley Young type helping him out

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Interesting to note comments from interview yesterday, he says players will need good 5-6wks to get fitness back. 

Easily, they have been off longer than in pre-season and will have no warmup games to build fitness 

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Easily, they have been off longer than in pre-season and will have no warmup games to build fitness 

There will be an argument that they haven't been on holiday and should have kept some sort of fitness level rather than letting it all go and I actually agree with that

I'd be disappointed if our players came back completely unfit

That said several of them have posted their home gym set up on social media 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

This is it.

He'll look good when we're good. When Grealish is flying and gifting him the ball on a plate.

Does very little when our backs are to the wall. £11-14m is £6-9m too much.

That's the problem with judging players by their transfer fee when the transfer fees have been inflated beyond all sense 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

Interesting to note comments from interview yesterday, he says players will need good 5-6wks to get fitness back. 

I think he might have been repeating what he's heard elsewhere. He's a young lad, who will soon be as fit as anyone else, but probably didn't want to come out with that sort of reply on camera. I like his attitude, he's still got things to improve on, but I'm confident he knows that and will be working on it.

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

Some will take longer than others. Survival of the fittest

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Some will take longer than others. Survival of the fittest

Or survival of those who can be bothered to get fit....

We have to look at the likes of the Palace game and think we should be a level ahead of them, their done and being dragged back with nothing to play for 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Or survival of those who can be bothered to get fit....

We have to look at the likes of the Palace game and think we should be a level ahead of them, their done and being dragged back with nothing to play for 

Wish we had more of those so called "winnable games" as we don't beat the bigger teams.

Newcastle and Palace certainly must win games

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

That's the problem with judging players by their transfer fee when the transfer fees have been inflated beyond all sense 

It's a problem IMO we were so willing to splash out on average players just because the market is crazy. You don't have to partake in silly prices on the average players. Pay silly prices for good players.

Targett was the most obvious annoying one as we had evidence of him playing in PL and looking like he wasn't ready to be a certified 38 start a season man.

Suso killed us before the season started.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

It's a problem IMO we were so willing to splash out on average players just because the market is crazy. You don't have to partake in silly prices on the average players. Pay silly prices for good players.

Targett was the most obvious annoying one as we had evidence of him playing in PL and looking like he wasn't ready to be a certified 38 start a season man.

Pretty sure Targett was a Smith signing.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Pretty sure Targett was a Smith signing.

Was a Suso one according to all the reports which surprised me as you'd have thought he'd have been able to find a decent one in Spain or France.

To me Amavi is better left back than Targett so you'd think we'd have managed to find decent one for under 10m.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Was a Suso one according to all the reports which surprised me as you'd have thought he'd have been able to find a decent one in Spain or France.

To me Amavi is better left back than Targett so you'd think we'd have managed to find decent one for under 10m.

That would surprise me as Targett fits the bills of a Smith type of fullback

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That would surprise me as Targett fits the bills of a Smith type of fullback

I’m pretty sure Jack wanted Targett at the club I think they played together at youth level and was probably asked who he was most comfortable with behind him,

20 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

disagree on suso

if we go down targett stays and looks great in the championship next season, if we stay up then targett looks adequate but ultimately can be improved upon which is what makes his price tag disappointing

we buy some 21 year old star for less than £10m (who I genuinely don't know who that is, don't think there are many fullbacks left or right kicking about right now, don't think he's English that's for sure) who has a great season but we go down then all we've done is signed another amavi, he's gone next season, probably at a loss

I think suso's potential future proofing of us is really underrated, targett ticks that box, he'll be a championship player with us should the worst happen

• Like 1

We could always have paid a little more for a more experienced one.

Lucas Digne cost Everton 18m. Only 26, played for many big clubs already and France and in Everton's difficult season one of their better players from what I've seen.

I do think he'd be fine in the championship if it comes to that given you don't have to be great defensively in that league and his overlapping runs would cause plenty of problems.

Â