Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

We could always have paid a little more for a more experienced one.

Lucas Digne cost Everton 18m. Only 26, played for many big clubs already and France and in Everton's difficult season one of their better players from what I've seen.

I do think he'd be fine in the championship if it comes to that given you don't have to be great defensively in that league and his overlapping runs would cause plenty of problems.

I don't think we were quite in the position to get those type of players last summer. Early days in our owners project. Could be wrong of course.

Also think that with Smith being pretty much an unknown name for most players he might not have the pull that more established managers might have.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's fine he'll do ok in the Championship. That doesn't go well with me. That's not what we're trying to build.

No but that's the game we have to play

But a team that should stay up but at least stay together should we go down 

If we got relegated and had another 10+ player turnover then suso has failed 

• 1 month later...

I quite like Targett. He's decent technically and calm on the ball. He really isn't suited to sitting back and being bombarded all match though. Also seems to be bright red and dripping sweat after 10 minutes of a game. 

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

The fact he’s so far down the forum makes me think he’s probably done fine. Nothing spectacular but no obvious cock ups. Arguably one of the few “success” stories. 

Was pulled out of position so easily yesterday.

He's average. Looks o.k going forward and can link up with Grealish but poor seeing how many crosses Chelsea were getting in from the right and it eventually lead to the goal.

Will probably be fine in the championship though as he was in the Fulham team that beat us.

play him at centre half....spends most of his time there.

Positional sense is shocking.....id love to play right wing against him.

I was hoping when he signed he would do well but like most of the signings....rare moments of goodness.

Happy to have him as a squad player, not good enough to be a regular starter in the system we (try) to play.

We paid over the top for him, guess we got desperate since so much had to be done in such a short time.

Will be a really solid Championship LB if we go down, but you don't pay £13m or whatever for a LB to shine in the Championship. For that kind of money at least I expect more.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

play him at centre half....spends most of his time there.

Positional sense is shocking.....id love to play right wing against him.

I was hoping when he signed he would do well but like most of the signings....rare moments of goodness.

How many times do you see crossfield balls to their right winger in acres and acres of space. He has time to bring the ball down and polish his boots before deciding what to do next. I don' think Targett is helped by having Grealish in front of him but that doesn't excuse his god awful sense of positioning. Can he not just stay at left back and mark his man?

Rant over. He'll be fine in the championship. And so he should be for £14m. Another massively underwhelming signing. 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

How many times do you see crossfield balls to their right winger in acres and acres of space. He has time to bring the ball down and polish his boots before deciding what to do next. I don' think Targett is helped by having Grealish in front of him but that doesn't excuse his god awful sense of positioning. Can he not just stay at left back and mark his man?

Rant over. He'll be fine in the championship. And so he should be for £14m. Another massively underwhelming signing. 

This isn't a sign of bad positioning. If he was marking the winger all game it would be. The defence moves left or right depending where the play is and they try to minimise space between them. It's a fundamental of football. The alternative is to leave enormous gaps between your back four for players to run into and exploit.

I'm genuinely confused by this comment.

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

This isn't a sign of bad positioning. If he was marking the winger all game it would be. The defence moves left or right depending where the play is and they try to minimise space between them. It's a fundamental of football. The alternative is to leave enormous gaps between your back four for players to run into and exploit.

There is no way Targett is positioning himself correctly, regardless of whether the defence is drifting. I've never seen so many players have so much time to control the ball and attack as I do when Targett is playing for us. 

Saw some posts the other day reminiscing over Amavi, it did make me wonder if he was really that much better than Targett, both good attackers but not so good defensively, not sure if there's much difference between the two. Also had similar thoughts about Veretout and Luiz.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Saw some posts the other day reminiscing over Amavi, it did make me wonder if he was really that much better than Targett, both good attackers but not so good defensively, not sure if there's much difference between the two. Also had similar thoughts about Veretout and Luiz.

Targett better on the ball than Amavi, Amavi has better physical attributes.

Veretout you could always tell was a good player.

Yes I think both Amavi and Veretout are good players, but think Targett and Luiz have simlar potential. We signed some players last summer that could go on to have very good careers, we just needed more experience to go alongside them, similar to what happened the last time we went down, albeit we did sign some experience then, it just happened to be Richards and Lescott.

13 minutes ago, useless said:

Amavi is regular in europa league/cl standard team. He started europa league final two years back. Would be amazed if Targett ever got to that standard e.g. we go down, Leicester sell Chilwell and they want to sign him as a replacement.

6 hours ago, Rolta said:

With my coaching hat of 20 years.

Yes the defence does move across depending on where the ball is. Usually when the ball is on the right or left wings

However Targett gets done for space when the ball is in the middle of the park, hence the put of the position and space the winger gets every game.

• Like 2

Â