Matt Targett

villan-scott

On 20/05/2020 at 13:46, villa4europe said:

that's what I mean, if we go down the likes of digne aren't here next season

that's the underrated part of Suso's job, we cant have the player turnover between leagues, it killed us last time

It will continue at this rate, while we buy players, who simply don't work out for us.

7 hours ago, useless said:

Saw some posts the other day reminiscing over Amavi, it did make me wonder if he was really that much better than Targett, both good attackers but not so good defensively, not sure if there's much difference between the two. Also had similar thoughts about Veretout and Luiz.

seen Amavi get skinned too may times, especially after his injury.

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Targett been good both games back I think.

Yeah he's been one of out least bad players. At least defensively.

But the amount of space he allows on the flank is less than ideal, it's like we were playing with 4 CB's

He only allows space because he gets pulled in, its down to jack to cover that space, too. Which in itself is the problem. jack should be further up the field and not doing the donkey work at the back. 

13 minutes ago, peterw said:

He only allows space because he gets pulled in, its down to jack to cover that space, too. Which in itself is the problem. jack should be further up the field and not doing the donkey work at the back. 

To me it seems the issue we have is we play 4-3-3 and the 3 in the middle are so narrow the 2 wider attackers end up covering the full backs as if its a traditional 4-4-2 .

Chelsea always had space wide as we had 3 Cm's all narrow to stop Chelsea playing through the middle of us then if we did get the ball the 2 wider attackers were then so deep the only outball was an isolated Davis.

Targett himself was ok he got some decent tackles in but he didn't get forward as he normally does and his link up with Jack was no where to be seen.

Its also the problem have having Konsa at right back. He will provide nothing going forward so the onus is on Targett to try and get forward and Chelsea did try and target that space. That said both goals come from Konsa's side.

• Like 1

konsa was picked against Sheff U to counter their height at set-pieces, I presume against Chelsea it was simply to allow us to sit in. given that we will more then lokely have more space v Newcastle I'd expect Guilbert or Elmo to start.

31 minutes ago, peterw said:

konsa was picked against Sheff U to counter their height at set-pieces, I presume against Chelsea it was simply to allow us to sit in. given that we will more then lokely have more space v Newcastle I'd expect Guilbert or Elmo to start.

Konsa isn’t the best in the air though

On 23/06/2020 at 23:31, Tomaszk said:

Targett been good both games back I think.

And again today. He links up well with Jack and is one of the only guys out there likely to create anything. 

Id like to see us letting Targett provide more of the width and push more players inside to play off Davis or Samatta. 

Our actual wingers are **** terrible

• Like 1

I like Targett, he's a good technical player and has linked up great with Jack plenty of times, but the lower end of the Premier League is about his ceiling I'd say given his general lack of physicality. I'm already scared for him potentially having to come up against Traore at the weekend.

Without wanting to be too much of a doom-monger I do think in the event of us going down we'd more than likely hang onto him and he'd be brilliant in the Championship (which is amazingly a lot more than can be said for some of our other signings). 

38 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I like Targett, he's a good technical player and has linked up great with Jack plenty of times, but the lower end of the Premier League is about his ceiling I'd say given his general lack of physicality. I'm already scared for him potentially having to come up against Traore at the weekend.

Without wanting to be too much of a doom-monger I do think in the event of us going down we'd more than likely hang onto him and he'd be brilliant in the Championship (which is amazingly a lot more than can be said for some of our other signings). 

I think he is really looking forward to it.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Saint Maximin had him on toast. Midtable version of Bale vs Maicon out there. He's a good player though.

Not really - Maximin had a 20 minute spell where he was unplayable. other than that I think Targett, and Luiz, marshalled him well.

• Like 3

He's another player, along with Luiz, who seems to have grown more comfortable in his role during lockdown, even if not to the same extent.

I'm afraid that Adama might just prove to be too much for him though, it's gonna be tough... 

13 hours ago, Indigo said:

Terrible defender who gets beaten by any decent winger. Okay going forward but that isn't what he is paid for. Another terrible signing.

Regards

VLD

• Like 2

Been our worst player since the restart which could very easily mean the worst player in the league. He is so bad defensively but he doesn't even make up for it by working hard. Against Chelsea once he was beaten by the halfway line he was about 20 yards behind play and jogging slowly back if he plays against wolves we will lose by 3 or 4. 

I say play Taylor left back he can at least mark a man and put a strong tackle in. And as much as he is shit going forward at least he recycles the ball unlike targett who has shay himself everytime he has had it and just given it away. If we really need to have mings be the overlapping player and have Taylor sit back and help us recycle the ball. It would be much more effective than what we are currently seeing. 

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Been our worst player since the restart which could very easily mean the worst player in the league.

Surprised to see this, impressed me. He seems to be winning loads of 50/50 headers as well. Keep it up Matt.

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I say play Taylor left back he can at least mark a man and put a strong tackle in. 

Oh dear. Oh dear dear dear. Oh no. Oh goodness me, no.

NO.

NO!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Â