Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

45 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Its unlikely, unless the way he plays changes completely, that he's going to score bucket loads for us. He drops deep and makes space, brings others into the game, he's not a goalscorer. We're kinda banking on him chipping in a few and helping the rest of the side score. 

You can't write him off entirely after 2 games, that's absurd, but it's clear he's not gelled into the side yet and we aren't making use of him and vice versa yet. Unfortunately that takes time. If we never get to click with him, we're ****. 

I think that's what we are alluding to.

16 hours ago, jim said:

I know it’s only 2 games but I watched him closely today and he looks like a dud.

I didn't watch him particularly carefully and he didn't look like a dud. Saw plenty of promise.  Needs time. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

With El-Ghazi playing poorly and Trezeguet taking time to acclimatise, not to mention the fact that he's come from the Belgian league and needs to adapt too, he's not done badly at all. Had absolutely **** all service so far. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lexicon said:

With El-Ghazi playing poorly and Trezeguet taking time to acclimatise, not to mention the fact that he's come from the Belgian league and needs to adapt too, he's not done badly at all. Had absolutely **** all service so far. 

I dunno he seemed to get plenty of the ball - but didn't take up many goal scoring positions to receive the ball.

We are perhaps overdoing it because he cost £22m - Trez and AEG were also ineffective. You bet if the transfer window was open until Sep 1 another striker would come in !

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Its unlikely, unless the way he plays changes completely, that he's going to score bucket loads for us. He drops deep and makes space, brings others into the game, he's not a goalscorer. We're kinda banking on him chipping in a few and helping the rest of the side score. 

You can't write him off entirely after 2 games, that's absurd, but it's clear he's not gelled into the side yet and we aren't making use of him and vice versa yet. Unfortunately that takes time. If we never get to click with him, we're ****. 

But of course he isn’t !

Outside the Top 5 strikers who get double figures, let alone “ bucket loads” are practically non- existent.

I can’t help wondering if a lot of the ( premature IMO) concern is due to this misconception.

Wolves (7th) ( surely everyone’s definition of an outstanding season if we matched it ) scored 47 goals last season...1.2 per game.

Brighton (17th) ( surely everyones definition of a good season if we match it) scored 35....that’s less than a goal a game !

8-10 goals from Wes will be more than fine and I’ve little doubt we will get that.

Edited by terrytini

Encouraged by what I saw from him today.

• Put himself about.
  • Stayed on his feet.
  • Kept running up to the 90th minute.
  • Some lovely touches and link up play (particularly with Trez)

He'll only get better, but there is improvement already.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

We paid good money for 2 fullbacks who can deliver quality crosses on the fly, then play 2 fellas who have made careers from delivering the same exact cross  over and over in the hope of one coming off.

It's the main reason I'm miffed with the Elmo and Taylor selections . It's not because I don't like them  it's because I think Guilbert and Targett will be able to create better chances for Wesley and others.  Their ability to cross on the fly with accuracy will be so much better for Wes than the current 2 who always like to slow it down before delivering. which allows the defense that extra second or two to locate runners.   Might sound like nonsense but the amount of times we slow down or cut back from wide positions won't be doing Wesley any favours at all.

We did alright with the slowdown/cutback in the Championship because the defenders aren't as good but in the Premier League it just allows defenders to track runners and adjust.

This league is about pace and movement yet right now we look slow and statuesque. It's weird because we  looked like we had something going preseason then just abandoned it for a more cautious approach. 

Wes is clearly talented but I'm not sure we will see the best of him until we figure out the best means of supplying him.   

Couldn't agree more. Fullbacks play a huge part in the modern game. Elmo and Taylor weren't exactly outstanding in the championship and the PL is a huge step up in quality. 

I think Smith understands this as well, hence bringing in 2 fullbacks. Though i don't necessarily agree with it, i can only presume he wants to integrate them slowly. 

I think a lot of people will be surprised with this fella (and our team really) in a couple of months as they all settle into this new league. It's catching them by surprise. But I've seen enough from him and us to tell me that we're going to be alright.

Couple of sparks, but we need more fire.

I think he should step back a bit, back to basics. Get the ball under before trying expansive stuff. He's trying plenty before he's even got the ball, this isn't Belgium, these teams are good, it's OK, don't worry.

King and Wilson really effective today, quickly bouncing off a big centre half, getting a 40-50 clip forwards down, and laying it off. Suddenly they're now playing right outside our box instead of in their own half. Feels like Wes is more thinking he'll get it down, nip round someone and rake an incisive ball though to make a chance.

Would like to see him compete more with CBs on hopeful punts. They're often only played when we're clearing lines under pressure, but he isn't getting near them, you don't have to always "win" it, but stopping them having an uncontested ball will help us get up.

Fighting a losing battle if he doesn't improve. 

• Like 1

I think people are seeing what they want when they say he played well.

He touched the ball less than any other player who started on both teams. 

He passed to his teammates 9 times in 90 minutes. 

We are not staying up with our main forward doing this. 

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Couple of sparks, but we need more fire.

I think he should step back a bit, back to basics. Get the ball under before trying expansive stuff. He's trying plenty before he's even got the ball, this isn't Belgium, these teams are good, it's OK, don't worry.

King and Wilson really effective today, quickly bouncing off a big centre half, getting a 40-50 clip forwards down, and laying it off. Suddenly they're now playing right outside our box instead of in their own half. Feels like Wes is more thinking he'll get it down, nip round someone and rake an incisive ball though to make a chance.

Would like to see him compete more with CBs on hopeful punts. They're often only played when we're clearing lines under pressure, but he isn't getting near them, you don't have to always "win" it, but stopping them having an uncontested ball will help us get up.

Fighting a losing battle if he doesn't improve. 

Unhelpful to compare or expect a player to step up and slot in like King, a player with 145 premier League appearances and grew up with the English game at youth level. 

Â