Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

5 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Don't think Wesley is the issue. We're not getting people around him quick enough and he hasn't quite found his rhythm yet with the wide men.

This pretty much.  On that ball over the top from Mcginn at the end of the first half it was Wesley and Trez versus 8 bournemouth players.  The bournemouth midfielders were actually looking around for Villa players to mark but our guys were so late arriving.  I'd be curious to see what our distance stats were for the game.  Bournemouth look to be very fit.  I know we cant get there all at once but we really need to raise our energy level's tracking back and breaking on the counter.  

On 18/08/2019 at 07:51, DCJonah said:

I think people are seeing what they want when they say he played well.

He touched the ball less than any other player who started on both teams. 

He passed to his teammates 9 times in 90 minutes. 

We are not staying up with our main forward doing this. 

Well that 8.5 times more than Kodjia would have. 

I'm not a happy clapper or anything but I honestly believe he will grow and improve with every game he plays

I think once he's scored it'll be a platform for him to push on.  But the longer it takes the more pressure builds and the more negativity will be aimed at him.  The coaching staff really need to work hard with him. 

• Like 1

The way Wesley plays, we definitely have to get players closer to him quicker. Whether that then translates to goals is another thing, but at present he always has to contend with being tightly marked and then having someone take off the ball him. Hopefully with players to closer to him, it will take a bit of pressure off him, giving him more space to perform. 

Whether he comes good or not, I still think the club want another striker (different style) and that’ll be done start of January 

14 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I definitely think the other guys know they need to get closer to Wesley. It's a bit different to how Tammy played last year though. 

I think the difference was Tammy played against average defences, We pressed higher, got wider players further forward and had McGinn and Grealish closer to him. Wes hasn't had any of the same service or help in the final third so not sure what people are expecting. Kodjia would have exactly the same problems currently. Us playing deep allows CB's to double up on Wes. He's on a hiding to nothing at the mo imo.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tomav84 said:

to be honest, after saturday, i think we're in for a very long, rough season. i'm rarely this pessimistic after a result, but i honestly believe we could still be playing that game now and we wouldn't have scored an equaliser. i just don't see where the goals are going to come from. i really hope i'm wrong

See that's where I'm optimistic, I can see that a few things here and there combined with cutting out silly errors and we will be ok.  We did ok at Spurs given they are champions league calibre and we are newly promoted and even though we didnt deserve it in the end we couldve snuck out a draw almost.  Against Bournemouth, a stupid penalty in the first minute and then the combination of a silly dummy and a deflection meant we were two down in 10 minutes.  For me we were then the better team.

Yes we need to see more from Wes but we can say that about almost all the players.  Coming into the season expecting everything to click seems a high expectation whereas I thought we'll grow into the season and aside from the results that is what I expect to see. 

I saw us as the better team against Bournemouth who are an established premiership team, that's not a bad thing in our second game back.  A bit of luck i.e. the second goal doesnt get the deflection and Bournemouth's Philip Billing getting sent off for one of his 3 possible second yellow card offenses before half time would've meant playing against 10 men for 45 minutes would surely have given us even more chance to score. 

So as i say a bit of luck and it couldve been so different and we would be here talking about a good start to the season with a good defensive performance against Spurs despite losing and then a draw or win against Bournemouth.  I know all ifs and buts, but in the above paragraph I'm talking only about small slices of luck.........

As for Wes, I'll start judging him after 10-12 games, not 2 games......to be honest I probably wont really judge him until January transfer window.  I do agree we shouldve had a second striker brought in, we shouldve had options because for me, both Davis and Kodjia arent good enough

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think the difference was Tammy played against average defences, We pressed higher, got wider players further forward and had McGinn and Grealish closer to him. Wes hasn't had any of the same service or help in the final third so not sure what people are expecting. Kodjia would have exactly the same problems currently. Us playing deep allows CB's to double up on Wes. He's on a hiding to nothing at the mo imo.

I’d take Tammy back in a heartbeat, but if Deano thought Maupay was over-valued at £21M (I don’t), I cant see us dropping £25M in Jan’ on Mr Abraham. 

Your more important point is about how deep we are sitting, isolating Wesley - I agree completely. Unpopular opinion here, but I put that down to the fullbacks.

Elmo was getting forward last game but doing little with it. I still think Taylor’s undoubted defensive attributes are negated by a lack of effective attacking play, which means the team plays with concrete boots in the transition from defence to attack where we need explosive movement from runners, anticipating quick ball or (good) crosses from the fullbacks. 

We’ve got all the pieces of the jigsaw we need to succeed, but haven’t figured out how they fit together yet. When that happens we’ll play some very sexy football.  

35 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Pretty absurd to ask him to drop deep, be the link-up, i.e targetman then complain he hasn't scored in two matches with very limited service. 

Just be patient with him and he'll get 12-13 goals 

The goal scoring worries me but so does the link up and target man role at the moment. 

Let’s all hope he gets a goal sooner rather than later to help him settle. Every new striker needs that, it’s was their confidence thrives off. The longer it goes without him scoring the harder it will seem. Fans need to keep calm and support him like they have so far. Frustration is creeping in, it’s apparent on the thread. He has come from a foreign country for big money and as far as I am aware he’s not speaking english yet. It’s going to take time with Big Wesley I think.

• Like 1

We'd all take Tammy back. That's not the point though. He played in a much more cohesive team last season and is now struggling to find his own feet at Chelsea this season. Wes needs help. Our management have to find a way of giving him help. I will not lay judgement on him until he gets that help as I think it's unfair. If he starts missing sitters, throwing tantrums, no effort then he will be deserving of some criticism but I think we are a way off that happening. I think that he needs a goal in the next 2 or 3 games though to help him get his shit together and settle. I think he's got it in his locker we just have to let him show it by getting the ball to him earlier and then get bods around him quickly

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Your more important point is about how deep we are sitting, isolating Wesley - I agree completely. Unpopular opinion here, but I put that down to the fullbacks.

Exactly what I think. Our wingers and Grealish are cutting inside all the time and without wingbacks bombing forwards we will struggle. Which is why I'd drop both Elmo and Taylor despite them playing well, but in particular Taylor. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tomav84 said:

to be honest, after saturday, i think we're in for a very long, rough season. i'm rarely this pessimistic after a result, but i honestly believe we could still be playing that game now and we wouldn't have scored an equaliser. i just don't see where the goals are going to come from. i really hope i'm wrong

Did you watch the game?? on another day we would've scored 4 or 5. McGinn, Grealish, Luiz, Trezeguet and Wesley all had decent chances. Some of them multiple chances. Don't get too down!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'll give him a few more games before i decide completely shit or not, but based on these 2 games.. hope Kodjia is fit soon. 

Deciding whether a player is shit or not after 4 games is a little crazy don’t you think? It’s not as if all around him has been working great, that we are in a higher league and we are used to winning in the championship.  The kid cost over 20m, new team, new country, new language, higher league for him and the rest of the team but before the end of August you could’ve written him off.....

Added to that you are relying on Kodjia who hasn’t been the same for us since his big injury a while back.  Yes, I heard he had a good AFCON but for us he’s been poor in the CHAMPIONSHIP since the injury and now you want him to perform in the PL.  Give Wes a chance because at the very least we have no other options.

2 hours ago, Awol said:

I’d take Tammy back in a heartbeat, but if Deano thought Maupay was over-valued at £21M (I don’t), I cant see us dropping £25M in Jan’ on Mr Abraham. 

Elmo was getting forward last game but doing little with it. I still think Taylor’s undoubted defensive attributes are negated by a lack of effective attacking play, which means the team plays with concrete boots in the transition from defence to attack where we need explosive movement from runners, anticipating quick ball or (good) crosses from the fullbacks. 

We’ve got all the pieces of the jigsaw we need to succeed, but haven’t figured out how they fit together yet. When that happens we’ll play some very sexy football.  

AEG has been poor but I think he is also suffering by the lack of an overlapping full back whereas Trez can come inside more as Elmo does get up and down well. I'd def put Targett in for the Everton game but then again he isn't blessed with pace. However he can get up and down well with energy which makes up for it. 

3 hours ago, dubbs said:

I definitely think the other guys know they need to get closer to Wesley. It's a bit different to how Tammy played last year though. 

I think that what you said is clear for all to see and he even came clear with a reputation for not being an out and out striker. It might sound mad but I can see a scenario where Luiz is the closest player to him and Nakamba is DM. What that means for Jack and McGinn I don't know. 

Â