Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 minute ago, hippo said:

How do you know he hasn't hit the ground running ? - He wasn't a prolific scorer at his previous clubs. I can't quite see why he cost £22m - I also like a forward to at very least lead the line - must admit this goals from all across the front line smacks of being too clever

Well, there's always the chance that what we've seen over the past 2 games is as good as it gets with Wesley. I'm not even remotely willing to suggest that's case after 2 games. If he's still playing the same way after 20 games then maybe. But 2 games is hardly enough to judge his potential and limit as a footballer.

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

to be fair we couldn't afford or attract a proven goal scorer. This is a big step up for wes  - but what concerns me is that he wasn't a major goal getter at his previous clubs.

I debate that because I'm sure that we could have afforded someone like Maupay etc. 

I'm not saying he won't be what we need, I just worry that he may not be what we need. 

16 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Well, there's always the chance that what we've seen over the past 2 games is as good as it gets with Wesley. I'm not even remotely willing to suggest that's case after 2 games. If he's still playing the same way after 20 games then maybe. But 2 games is hardly enough to judge his potential and limit as a footballer.

2 games is a very small sample size as you correctly state. However that is all we have. ...

I don't want to get on his case as he is crucial for us. But I can't see how we integrate him - he's not great in the air and whilst he is strong he isn't particularly quick. Hopefully Smith can sort something out.

22 minutes ago, hippo said:

I thought he got quite a bit of the ball - but it was all in deep areas - with no aerial  threat and no pace I don't see how he will get much service in the final 3rd.

Don't agree with 'no pace', he has a decent turn of pace IMO, evidence by how he went clear down their left hand side in the first half and played a good ball into Trezeguet. He impressed me in many ways but just crucial he get into better positions in the box often and that the service into him is better.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

I debate that because I'm sure that we could have afforded someone like Maupay etc. 

I'm not saying he won't be what we need, I just worry that he may not be what we need. 

I meant proven at this level.

Maupay would have made more sense and Wes doesn't seem a massive upgrade on Davis.

Just got back from the game, gotta say our front players look just so lightweight & sluggish that i can't see them scoring enough goals sadly. Huge mistake from the club not to buy Maupay or another striker as what options do we have to change it now?

Elghazi was totally ineffective, Trez looks cumbersome and lacks a killer instinct & Wesley was barely a threat at all really especially in the air. So if we can't do teams with pace & offer no aerial threat it makes us rather easy to defend against and that's what happened today. Only a wonder goal was ever going to get us a goal today and that's what Luiz produced..... which he owed us after being liable for their 2nd.

So kamikaze play from Heaton & Luiz and an ineffective strike force is what did us. Happy Christmas Bournemouth.

• Like 2

Looks like a good player to me, albeit one that like to drop deep. I don't really rate Kodjia or Davis so Smith will need to work on a way to get the best out him. 

I have a feeling that he is the sort of striker that thrive in a 2. With El Ghazi looking of the pace, and with Guilbert and Targget both comfortable going forward i feel a change of formation would suit this team better. 

1 minute ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Just got back from the game, gotta say our front players look just so lightweight & sluggish that i can't see them scoring enough goals sadly. Huge mistake from the club not to buy Maupay or another striker as what options do we have to change it now?

Elghazi was totally ineffective, Trez looks cumbersome and lacks a killer instinct & Wesley was barely a threat at all really especially in the air. So if we can't do teams with pace & offer no aerial threat it makes us rather easy to defend against and that's what happened today. Only a wonder goal was ever going to get us a goal today and that's what Luiz produced..... which he owed us after being liable for their 2nd.

So kamikaze play from Heaton & Luiz and an ineffective strike force is what did us. Happy Christmas Bournemouth.

Sadly the above is bang on

Wesley does not look like the player to thrive under Smith. I hope to be proved wrong, I really do. But, the warning signs came from his previous fans in that he likes to play deep. We don't need that kind of player, we need a central forward. 

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Don't agree with 'no pace', he has a decent turn of pace IMO, evidence by how he went clear down their left hand side in the first half and played a good ball into Trezeguet. He impressed me in many ways but just crucial he get into better positions in the box often and that the service into him is better.

He has pace in a sprint but I agree with a few he looks bloody sluggish at times, on his heels and slow to react. Needs to get up to speed with the league.

Are people seriously getting on Wesley's back after just two games. Not to mention that players like ghazi who crossed it in expect him to work miracles with how slow the ball floated into with so much height you'd think he's be a giant.

It's a team effort, if wesley is to be afforded blame then so too are the players who can't seem to land the ball to his feet at the right time.

I witnessed Ghazi on that one run go all down the line and Wesley came in at far post, ghazi bloody stopped and waited rather than whip it in low and fast in front of Wesley who could of had a goal scoring chance. I even thought to myself I bet he will put that away if ghazi had of done that but no, that's been the problem, our players are not laying our striker on correctly and precisely.

I thought he played well first half, but not so much second half. I’m not convinced he will get enough goals though, well not yet anyway . He may need a season in this league to get him to improve as a player. He was too deep for me today. I’d like to see how he is in another month or so before doubting him too much. 

We can't do anything about none of it till January anyway, even then It may be that he looks like he's improving each game and still early to tell.

It’s not that I’m dead against Wesley. He’s just got no competition for that position upfront . Kodjia is nowhere good enough and Davies will never be a goal scorer . We’ve literally got no one to come on for Wesley if he’s having a bad day or bad run of games. I’m happy to continue with the big man, but you need another striker in just to give us options and something different. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Its unlikely, unless the way he plays changes completely, that he's going to score bucket loads for us. He drops deep and makes space, brings others into the game, he's not a goalscorer. We're kinda banking on him chipping in a few and helping the rest of the side score. 

You can't write him off entirely after 2 games, that's absurd, but it's clear he's not gelled into the side yet and we aren't making use of him and vice versa yet. Unfortunately that takes time. If we never get to click with him, we're ****. 

• Like 3

I made an unheralded point on the last page, that Hourihane and Kodjia were directly responsible  for thirty of our league goals last season. Not really sure we can afford to leave them out, especially Hourihane, would probably benefit Wesley as well.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

How do you know he hasn't hit the ground running ? - He wasn't a prolific scorer at his previous clubs. I can't quite see why he cost £22m - I also like a forward to at very least lead the line - must admit this goals from all across the front line smacks of being too clever

Its not about being too clever.....its about assuming players you are expecting the goals to come from are imposing themselves.....I saw nothing from El Ghazi.

If you are going play off the big man, thats what you must do, not sit deep in midfield, scraping for bits of the ball......when did our wingers attack their full backs and work them over?

Â