Aerials won

Benteke - 8

Joelinton - 2

Wesley - 3

Shots/on target

Benteke - 1/1

Joelinton - 2/0

Wesley - 2/1

Interesting, especially watching the Palace game and feeling Benteke was absolutely anonymous.

People can try and look at the positives and in time I hope they are proven correct, all players need settling in to a league and new lifestyle.

To me though he looks miles off the pace at the minute. Can see Jimmy getting a good run up top in the near future.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

Do you really think he played that bad? I thought he was quite decent both matches so far. Not his fault our deliveries are kinda meh and we continue the path of this short corner bollocks. 

Several times on Saturday you could see him making the run into the box, but we either stopped up, passed backwards or overhit the crosses with about 20 yards. 

• Like 4

If we play like we did going forward against Bournemouth we will win a lot of games. 2 silly individual errors led to soft goals. Could've scored 5-6. Wesley played a decent part. 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

Yes, I know we are basing this on only two games, but I would have expected to have at least seen the raw ingredients from him. He did well to hold off Sanchez for our goal last week, but he's subsequently looked well off the pace. 

I think the comparisons with Benteke are quite short sighted. Yes, they are both tall and came from the Belgian League, but apart from that I can't see any other similarities. Benteke was rapid and brilliant in the air, Wes is mid-paced and isn't winning bulk of aerial challenges.

I think he'd really benefit from some individual coaching from an experienced PL striker and would love to see Terry arrange for Drogba to come in for a month and spend time with him and Davis. 

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

Don't think Wesley is the issue. We're not getting people around him quick enough and he hasn't quite found his rhythm yet with the wide men.

This. A 100 times this. And our crossing has been pretty poor. 

He'll get there.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Interesting, especially watching the Palace game and feeling Benteke was absolutely anonymous.

People can try and look at the positives and in time I hope they are proven correct, all players need settling in to a league and new lifestyle.

To me though he looks miles off the pace at the minute. Can see Jimmy getting a good run up top in the near future.

Wesley passed the ball to another player instead of shooting from a ridiculous angle. That piece of judgement alone means there is no way I consider Kodjia.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

you are going to have a very long, rough season if you think this.  It would be hard enough if the rest of the team was all cohesive and had been working together for at least six months rather than basically a new team in a harder league.

to be honest, after saturday, i think we're in for a very long, rough season. i'm rarely this pessimistic after a result, but i honestly believe we could still be playing that game now and we wouldn't have scored an equaliser. i just don't see where the goals are going to come from. i really hope i'm wrong

46 minutes ago, Risso said:

It's fine for players to take a while to settle in when you've got other quality options in the same position.  We haven't up front, and the decision not to bring another forward in is starting to look like it's going to bite us on the arse.

unfortunately i fear this to be the case. but if we had, do you see deano changing the formation? i.e. would we have seen maupay playing off wesley saturday? i'm not so sure we would have. the goal vs shrewsbury shows how he could link up with another striker but unfortunately we wont see that this season because of how deano wants to set us up.

i just dont see wesley being a success at aston villa if he continues to be the lone striker

I think our main problem is we keep putting in shite crosses. They are all floated over so if wesley wins it it is has no power but more importantly it gives the defender time to react and properly defend the crosses. Not only do the crosses need more power they should be driven low across the face of goal which is always the most dangerous ball in football because if the defender gets on it he is liable to score an own goal and it is just a tap in for the striker.

We also need to play through the centre more in the final third. Whenever we shot from outside the box we looked dangerous with mcginn, Grealish coming close and Luiz scoring a blinder. On top of this often if the keeper saves it is knocked short into the penalty area for our wingers and strikers to run onto.

We also need to link up play better with Grealish and our wingers getting into the game earlier. So we aren't crap for the first 30 minutes. 

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

unfortunately i fear this to be the case. but if we had, do you see deano changing the formation? i.e. would we have seen maupay playing off wesley saturday? i'm not so sure we would have. the goal vs shrewsbury shows how he could link up with another striker but unfortunately we wont see that this season because of how deano wants to set us up.

i just dont see wesley being a success at aston villa if he continues to be the lone striker

After 2 games in including away to CL finalists. Unreal

Looking at the highlights I actually think he did ok.

The issue was the lack of good service and support more than him not trying or actually making an impact.

The looping crosses and the crosses that go to the penalty spot weren't good enough tbh, ironically the best cross from us came from Mings when he whipped one in......

If Kodjia or Hogan had performed like that, they'd be rightly criticised. 

Wesley needs time and has shown glimpses but saying performances like Saturday are ok is ignoring a lot to just be positive for the sake of it. 

He made 7/8 passes in 90 minutes of football. For a guy who's job is to hold the ball and bring others in, that's abysmal. It has to be better and hopefully it will start to on Friday.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Don't think Wesley is the issue. We're not getting people around him quick enough and he hasn't quite found his rhythm yet with the wide men.

Spot on. He'll be fine. 

My only concern is that i think he would work better in a different system and Smith seems to favour a 3 up top. 

2 very narrow support players behind him with the width coming from the fullbacks is, imo, the way to go. 

I thought he was bullied vs Spurs and couldn't hold his feet.

I thought he did better against Bournemouth, including good touches and some nice link up play.

I think there's more in him.....

... but I see progress, so I'll remain patient as he comes good.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2019 at 07:51, DCJonah said:

I think people are seeing what they want when they say he played well.

He touched the ball less than any other player who started on both teams. 

He passed to his teammates 9 times in 90 minutes. 

We are not staying up with our main forward doing this. 

You are not wrong.

My suspicion is the pace and aggression of our game has him perplexed right now.....I think he has it in his capabilities to work on this and improve.....he has to, as your conclusion is right.

However, I saw him smile  on one occasion on Saturday, but the bloke next to me, reckoned it was wind.

We live in hope I guess.

Â