Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Don't know if it's already been posted but I thought the following video was a good overview of his overall game. Shows a few misses by him and his teamates, but gives you more of sense of what he's capable of, than just watching a compilation of his goals and assists. Don't know if it's already been posted but I thought the following video was a good overview of his overall game. Shows a few misses by him and his teamates, but gives you more of sense of what he's capable of, than just watching a compilation of his goals and assists.

• Thanks 4

6 hours ago, useless said:

Don't know if it's already been posted but I thought the following video was a good overview of his overall game. Shows a few misses by him and his teamates, but gives you more of sense of what he's capable of, than just watching a compilation of his goals and assists. Don't know if it's already been posted but I thought the following video was a good overview of his overall game. Shows a few misses by him and his teamates, but gives you more of sense of what he's capable of, than just watching a compilation of his goals and assists.

He looks very good with his back to goal, and link up play looks good too. Get him on the same wavelength as our midfield and he will be tough for anyone to handle. 

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

He looks very good with his back to goal, and link up play looks good too. Get him on the same wavelength as our midfield and he will be tough for anyone to handle. 

He does. I could see him playing in an AMC role behind another striker, or even as a forward in a “tresquartista” style kind of set up

Edited by alreadyexists

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed. 

The same people who will write him off as lazy after 3 games will probably be the same people asking for Hogan to be given a chance. 

He’s already got the “beast” label...

This did my head in when Benteke was here.

Easily the most technical striker I've seen at Villa (too young to remember Yorke), but all pundits could ever talk about were his "pace and power". He wasn't even particularly fast ffs!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Easily the most technical striker I've seen at Villa (too young to remember Yorke), but all pundits could ever talk about were his "pace and power". He wasn't even particularly fast ffs!

It's funny because from what I've seen of Wesley he reminds me of Benteke: a "tall powerful forward" but in reality one who has good technique and also works the flanks to brings others into play. For me that is what I liked the most about Benteke, he would take the ball wide and draw defenders to him, it's why somebody like Weimann managed to work so well with him because it would leave so much space for our wide players to cut inside.

Moraes does look genuinely pacey, in fact based from the highlights i've seen it looks like one of his key attributes. He seems to be a strange mix of a big target man, a striker that can come wide and run with the ball, and the more technical type that can drop deep and bring others into play, but it's not just about being strong and laying the ball off for other people, he has genuine vision and can pick a pass from deep. Probably still a raw talent at the moment, but one that could develop into a very good player.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It was the same with Savo. Technically brilliant, he could play as a 'false 9' and thread passes through the eye of a needle - he linked up brilliantly with Yorke. But because he wasn't an Alan Shearer type, he got the 'Missalotovich' tag. Clueless pundits. 

6 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Have we worked out if wesley is a beast yet ?

Could be for us!

He's just brought down a goal kick and stuck it on a plate for Hogan. Great stuff.

He's also just put one on a plate for O'Hare who couldn't get his feet sorted. That goes in when he's with the first XI.

Almost jarring to see a striker that big dropping off and running wide. Working his socks off.

His touch is hit and miss I think. Has brought a few down out the sky and other times it's bounced off him. Plenty to work with.

Ahem, bringing this down a notch. 

I was looking at a heat map this morning of Wes while at Brugge, he appears to play much much deeper than Tammy, and with back to goal more. Didn't see the Minnesota match, but I was thinking that with Jota, Grealish and El Ghazi, he could make a false nine sort of role work. His goal rate would suffer a bit, but I think we have some potent weapons in midfield and on the flanks. 

• Like 2

A bit more excited about this signing now after seeing that half. Deceptively quick as well. My biggest reservation so far is about finishing. Would have liked too seen him without Hogan and RHM at the top.

• Like 1

His touch is usually better when it's a trickier ball to deal with and he's instinctive.

Which is the way round you'd want it as the ability is in there to eventually be a more comfortable player all round.

Â