Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

557b0250-6251-11eb-8e5b-2f03c0e1d380.jpg

Only got a couple days left if he is to be named in the squad don't we?

Appears he is jumping and all that now, possibly closer than we think?

Wesley was named in the 25 man squad at the start of the season, he doesnt need to be added.

• Thanks 2

I am really looking forward to seeing Wes back. There is definitely a player in there and now we have a much better team to help him. I think he can still be an important player for us. Great bench option to have.

• Like 2

On 30/01/2021 at 07:57, M_Afro said:

I am really looking forward to seeing Wes back. There is definitely a player in there and now we have a much better team to help him. I think he can still be an important player for us. Great bench option to have.

Yes, really want to see how he performs in this team. Different option to Watkins too. 

• Like 2

After over a year out we have to be realistic in that if he is going to come back to a good level it’s going to take a fair bit of time. I’m a fan of Wes and I do think that had he not gotten injured he’d have kicked on by now but it’s a helluva spell out to recover from, particularly for someone who was already behind other players of his age due to his unconventional pathway, or so it was said/thought.

Hopefully he’s been closely watching Watkins over the course of this season as to what is required in that position, that said, I don’t think he’s ever been as mobile as Watkins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Hopefully he’s been closely watching Watkins over the course of this season as to what is required in that position, that said, I don’t think he’s ever been as mobile as Watkins.

That's going to be the main problem for Wes, he just doesn't have many of the attributes that Watkins does. He's not as quick, mobile or good in the air, and whereas Ollie dosn't give the defenders a minute's breather by pressing them the whole time, Wesley seemed to prefer dropping deep into more of a number 10 role. I dunno, I just can't see it happening for him long term at Villa.  I'd rather see him on the bench than Dvis though, certainly.

• Like 3

It might have been mentioned before but the way we are playing Wesley would be more suited to come in for Barkley rather than Watkins. He seems to like dropping off to be the link man rather than getting into the box and pressing the centre backs and I think he could provide a good option to win the ball I'm the air and feed Watkins, Grealish or Traore.

If that's the case then I still think we need another number 9 type striker like Watkins that has pace and is a high pressing style striker. 

• Like 1

I can see Wes offering a different skillset to Watkins but there's overlap and they could play in the same team. I'm very keen to get him back asap. We haven't seen him properly yet.

He's more of a fulcrum to play around. Players like Jack, Watkins, Barkley and Sanson will love that.

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

I can see Wes offering a different skillset to Watkins but there's overlap and they could play in the same team. I'm very keen to get him back asap. We haven't seen him properly yet.

He's more of a fulcrum to play around. Players like Jack, Watkins, Barkley and Sanson will love that.

I think his hold up play was overrated a lot last year. 

If he is going to offer a different threat to watkins, he will need to improve that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

yeah, can see scenarios where Traore comes off, Watkins moves right inside forward and Wesley through the middle.

49 minutes ago, alexvilla4 said:

It might have been mentioned before but the way we are playing Wesley would be more suited to come in for Barkley rather than Watkins. He seems to like dropping off to be the link man rather than getting into the box and pressing the centre backs and I think he could provide a good option to win the ball I'm the air and feed Watkins, Grealish or Traore.

If that's the case then I still think we need another number 9 type striker like Watkins that has pace and is a high pressing style striker. 

Next to no chance Wesley will start a prem game over Barkley in next 4 months.

Think we'd just shift Traore in to number 10 spot and bring in Trez and that would actually be pretty balanced for the three behind the striker.

I don't think Wesley would really suit playing as a number ten, there's a difference between starting in that position, and starting as a striker that drops deep. As the season goes on you might see us start playing with three traditional central midfielders, such as Morgan, Luiz and John McGinn, and then having Grealish and Barkley behind a striker.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

I don't think Wesley would really suit playing as a number ten, there's a difference between starting in that position, and starting as a striker that drops deep. As the season goes on you might see us start playing with three traditional central midfielders, such as Morgan, Luiz and John McGinn, and then having Grealish and Barkley behind a striker.

He absolutely isn't a 10.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, alexvilla4 said:

Was thinking the same today.

Link up/ Second Striker type.

He could very well come back differently trained and drilled though. We never know.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

On 29/01/2021 at 22:13, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

557b0250-6251-11eb-8e5b-2f03c0e1d380.jpg

Only got a couple days left if he is to be named in the squad don't we?

Appears he is jumping and all that now, possibly closer than we think?

Smith said earlier in the week - he is in non contact training. I still reckon he's around 6 weeks away from being in the squad in a meaningful sense.

• Thanks 1

IIRC correctly, Wes has always played in a  front 2 before joining us. In Watkins he would have an excellent partner to work with.

However, I'm not sure we are ever going to play with a front 2. Still - options and all that.

Would be good to see a fit Wes back on the pitch.

Just now, ozvillafan said:

IIRC correctly, Wes has always played in a  front 2 before joining us. In Watkins he would have an excellent partner to work with.

However, I'm not sure we are ever going to play with a front 2. Still - options and all that.

Would be good to see a fit Wes back on the pitch.

to be fair, we could play with a front 3 of Grealish, Wesley, Watkins, with Watkins coming inside from the right to play off and around Wesley, i think that would work if required in specific games/scenarios.

Watkins as a right inside forward would also give us Trezeguet (& Watkins) type work ethic down that right side, with Watkins type forward play........best of both worlds.....

Â