Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

5 hours ago, Thug said:

Really want him to do well.

I HATED his moaning antics and rolling around on the floor while the game carried on when he first arrived.  Once he grew out of that, I warmed to him.  Then that clearing in the woods **** up his knee.

Think it was a rude awakening to the PL, that a lot of fouls he was getting in Belgium weren't being given here. A lot of them were harsh too, I remember his debut against Spurs, Sanchez must have fouled him like 5 times without anything being given by the idiot ref.

My main worry with him, is that he is so different to Watkins that having Wes on the pitch will completely change the way we play, which will impact other key players. 

Maybe at times that's needed but I can't imagine many. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

My main worry with him, is that he is so different to Watkins that having Wes on the pitch will completely change the way we play, which will impact other key players. 

Still he scored similar goals to Watkins last season all in the box

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Still he scored similar goals to Watkins last season all in the box

Huh. Wesley's goals were all of the same kind. Really close to the goal that they're borderline tap ins all with his right foot.

Watkins scores those kinds of goals yes but he scores all kinds of goals too. Whether it'd be long-shots or tap ins. With his head or either feet. Whether he first receives the ball in the box or has to dribble it a bit.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

I think those judging wes on previous form forget how different we now play. I cant wait to see him fit and firing against a tired defence with Jack, Traore and Barkley all getting the ball into his feet. We are a completely different proposition to the team that Wes played in.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think those judging wes on previous form forget how different we now play. I cant wait to see him fit and firing against a tired defence with Jack, Traore and Barkley all getting the ball into his feet. We are a completely different proposition to the team that Wes played in.

But our major strength is Watkins running the channels and defending from the front. Wes does none of that. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually looking forward to having him back but I'm not sure he fits this team. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I'd also hope that with Wes being unable to do much physical work the fitness team can kind of rebuild his physique all round as he recovers.  We've seen the results of other players like Jack and even Targett just how good they are.  If he can add better core strength to add to his size he can be a real handful.  I'm pretty sure Dean will have been coaching him on the tactical side of his game as well during his recuperation.  But first he just needs to get back playing football.

I think he has a mountain to climb. I don't see any more than a token appearance this season.

Bottom line - I don't think he is good enough to displace Watkins and if I'm totally honest not sure even a fit Wes can cut it in the PL. 

• Like 2

I think having 18 months off is really going to hurt his career. Some players get injured for a couple of months and it takes them months to get their form back. 

Players don't usually get to the same level as before their big injuries too, which isn't ideal as we need him to improve and be better than the level he was before. 

Can anyone think of a player with this type of injury and play as well as before or even improve after the injury? Delph?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DCJonah said:

If/when he does come in, I don't think it would be FOR Watkins, I think it could possibly be WITH Watkins ( Support Striker ? ) or in a scenario where we change system.

Remember that the likes of Trez, Traore and i'd even say Nakamba seem to have improved immensely.

Don't think we will see him till next season, if he gets over the physical hurdle, no telling how he will come back.

He will almost have to be re coached and relearn again.

No reason why he can't be coached to suit our system IMO.

I reckon we will also have a plan B and C system for different opposition. We never know.

You hope he will have been watching our games and been involved in Analytical, tactical sessions etc.

I expect to see him in Cups more than anything else. Possibly early Europe stages?;)

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If/when he does come in, I don't think it would be FOR Watkins, I think it could possibly be WITH Watkins ( Support Striker ? ) or in a scenario where we change system.

Remember that the likes of Trez, Traore and i'd even say Nakamba seem to have improved immensely.

Don't think we will see him till next season, if he gets over the physical hurdle, no telling how he will come back.

He will almost have to be re coached and relearn again.

No reason why he can't be coached to suit our system IMO.

I reckon we will also have a plan B and C system for different opposition. We never know.

You hope he will have been watching our games and been involved in Analytical, tactical sessions etc.

I expect to see him in Cups more than anything else. Possibly early Europe stages?;)

You are correct.

It is very interesting that we can begin to coach Wesley to fit in with our style, presuming he can get fit. Almost like restarting the whole process again and trying to smooth out a diamond; if Wesley can get over that hurdle of missing eighteen months of football I think he could potentially be a much better player.

Wishful thinking maybe but there is a method too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DCJonah said:

We massively struggled with getting anything from a losing position. We've managed only 1 point all season from a losing position against Chelsea. So we need a different option to how we set up for such situations. One could be bring Wesley on and play Watkins as a 2nd striker off him. For example take Barkley and Luiz off for Wesley and Sanson. Switching from a 4 2 3 1 to a 4 1 4 1.

It's an area we need to improve, points gained from a losing position. To do that we need other options off the bench

18 hours ago, Thug said:

I think I’d go as far as to say he’s a better finisher than Ollie.

Let's assume this to be true for a second. Wesley's problem is he lacks anything even approaching the amount of movement that Ollie provides. So he doesn't get himself into the positions that would benefit someone with that finishing ability.  One of Ollie's main strengths, and possibly his best one, is that he has a knack of being in the right place at the right time.  This means his finishing doesn't even need to be top notch, but luckily for us it is plenty good enough too.

I don't think Wesley is a better finisher than Ollie btw. I don't think it's particularly close a comparison either.  I do think Wesley has his strengths and they complement Ollie very well as a strike partner, and I've no doubt Wesley still has developing to do as a striker and as a footballer in general.

Hopefully for him and for us he has a future at the club when he comes back, because if he can work his way back into this team then that will mean we've got a very good player on our hands.

• Like 2

Â