Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Wes never looked comfortable in the box, his natural terrain seemed between midfield and the penalty area in which he had good vision and hold up play. I still don't really think you can play him as a lone striker, which goes back to the question why we thought just buying him and him alone was a good idea considering we have always played one up top under Deano. Probably one of the reasons Suso was let go.

Watkins is a completely different player, arguably not as talented but fits the system and is obviously a Smith signing.

I disagree. On the rare occasions he got on the end of stuff, his finishing (with his feet) was decent. I think he tucks the ball away like a natural striker.

There are a lot of reasons to doubt Wesley, but I would still like to see him after some proper conditioning work to get him up to pace in the Premier League. I don't think he's a lost cause.

I know Smith isn't a fan of a front 2, but there's always a possibility of playing wide forwards in Smith's system - something like Barry-Wesley-Watkins, or Watkins-Wesley-Traore. Wouldn't be a first choice lineup, but could be an option when chasing a game. Wesley's tendency to drop deep wouldn't be such a problem with that kind of pace running off him (would be a bit more like the Liverpool system).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

EsGC9WWW4AIICOp?format=jpg&name=4096x409#

Wes looking in good shape - can't be too long before his comeback 

Looks a bit slanted to me,  maybe taking too many lessons from the mannequin in the background.  Or maybe Bodymoor has suffered from major subsidence during its lockdown. 🤔

On 17/01/2021 at 04:15, KentVillan said:

I disagree. On the rare occasions he got on the end of stuff, his finishing (with his feet) was decent. I think he tucks the ball away like a natural striker.

There are a lot of reasons to doubt Wesley, but I would still like to see him after some proper conditioning work to get him up to pace in the Premier League. I don't think he's a lost cause.

I know Smith isn't a fan of a front 2, but there's always a possibility of playing wide forwards in Smith's system - something like Barry-Wesley-Watkins, or Watkins-Wesley-Traore. Wouldn't be a first choice lineup, but could be an option when chasing a game. Wesley's tendency to drop deep wouldn't be such a problem with that kind of pace running off him (would be a bit more like the Liverpool system).

I'm not exactly his biggest fan, but close range finishing is probably one of his best attributes so to speak. Maybe even more so than our other strikers.

The problem was rather how bad he was getting into the box. No point being a great jockey if you don't know how to get on a horse.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing him come back and play in the Villa team we are today. Not expecting him to replace Watkins whatsoever but he'll be a good option to bring off from the bench. He does have some good qualities though. I'm not sure any of our other strikers score the goal he did against Arsenal last season. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Looks a bit slanted to me,  maybe taking too many lessons from the mannequin in the background.  Or maybe Bodymoor has suffered from major subsidence during its lockdown. 🤔

He does have one leg longer than the other...

• Haha 2

If Wesley can come back and get up to speed he will be a really good option. Against a smaller centre back pairing he'll create havoc. Against any team that will look to sit deep against us his combination of strength, good link up play, good pressing, and composure in the opposition box could really make a difference.

Next season he could make a good partner for Barry in Cup games. Plus Watkins is bound to get injured. 

I'm looking forward to his return. I reckon he will come hungrier, and ready to really fight with Watkins to get into the first team.

• Like 1

He may make some cameos but it's highly realistic he'll move on in the summer.

Player his age need to be playing games every week and he simply won't here with Watkins in the ranks.

Football can be cruel. Along with Heaton I feel like we've outgrown Wesley. He can't press like Watkins and he isn't prolific.

Edited by villalad21

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

I think so - dropped some of the muscle to gain some speed, I guess? 

To be fair he looked even skinnier earlier into his rehab.

I assume it's just the lack of resistance training and weights etc.

I'd actually prefer if he could bulk up a bit more, but you could be onto something.

A little more speed could make all the difference.

Â