Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

24 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Bit of ITK he’s shit in training too, he can’t score **** all in practice games. 

So the players have to keep on saying “c’mon Wes, chin up” but it’s become a bit of a joke. 

I don’t blame Wesley for this I blame the powers that be that brought a young Raw Brazilian new to the country, culture and league and gambled on him scoring enough to get us to safety. He averaged roughly 1 in 3 for Bruges. Quite why we’ve gone so balls in on a 22 year old I don’t know

Whether that's genuine ITK or not, it sounds plausible. Been clear all season that some of the players don't have confidence in him.

I also agree with your final point. From what I gather, he wasn't the main goalscorer at Bruges, but played just behind a poacher. He shows signs of being quite useful at that role, but we don't play a front 2, so not only have we gambled on a 22 year old, but we've gambled on transforming him into a different type of player. Very odd.

(Edit: I think he needs to lose some weight. To me he looks like he's got a cosmetic, gym bunny physique - a bit like what happened to Gabby that summer he spent down the gym / on roids. Footballers don't need big pecs and shoulders. It's just extra weight that slows them down and affects their balance.)

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Bit of ITK he’s shit in training too, he can’t score **** all in practice games. 

So the players have to keep on saying “c’mon Wes, chin up” but it’s become a bit of a joke. 

I don’t blame Wesley for this I blame the powers that be that brought a young Raw Brazilian new to the country, culture and league and gambled on him scoring enough to get us to safety. He averaged roughly 1 in 3 for Bruges. Quite why we’ve gone so balls in on a 22 year old I don’t know

Sorry but I find the point in bold EXTREMELY difficult to believe.

He has already scored in the PL, and against Liverpool kids (Which was a good move and finished, actually also could/should have had one against Watford).

I bet even Chester has scored a couple belters in training.

The 2nd and third paragraphs i'm more likely to believe/agree with as it is obvious his confidence is shot.

He is new to the country, surroundings etc and I have indicated he actually sometimes looks like a big, shy kid who needs an arm around him. (Hence probably also hard on himself and will know/feel he isn't good enough currently - you assume it would come natural for the players to want to encourage him). For all their faults, our players don't come off as the type who would just start "taking the piss" out of him or turn it into a joke if that was the case, although I could be wrong.

Two further points:

If the part in bold is true (Which I don't believe), whoever has leaked that is a clearing in the woods. (As that would indicate it's coming from coaching staff, or a player)

By all accounts the powers that be were after other forwards up until the end of the window but they never materialised for whatever reason.

Ultimately though, if those things are in fact true, then it's the Manager who needs to be held to task, it's one thing persisting with a player to get their confidence up, but it's another to persist with them to the point where it's actually damaging both the clubs prospects, and the player too.

I've said before, background checks e.g getting the "Nice" characters and all that I agree with up to a point, however it has lead to us possibly having a "nice bunch of lads", some of them i'd go as far as saying are "pussies" to be honest - or seem that way.

Ever noticed alot of the players we think are the biggest clearings in the woods always put us to the sword?

i think there is definitely something deeper in this back story, and the overall story of what has turned our season so terribly though.

All in all, this sounds like it comes from a fan (Maybe connected to the training ground/if true) who feels the same way alot of the fans feel about Wesley being poor and decided it would be cool to embellish a story for a bit of banter,

45 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Whether that's genuine ITK or not, it sounds plausible. Been clear all season that some of the players don't have confidence in him.

I also agree with your final point. From what I gather, he wasn't the main goalscorer at Bruges, but played just behind a poacher. He shows signs of being quite useful at that role, but we don't play a front 2, so not only have we gambled on a 22 year old, but we've gambled on transforming him into a different type of player. Very odd.

(Edit: I think he needs to lose some weight. To me he looks like he's got a cosmetic, gym bunny physique - a bit like what happened to Gabby that summer he spent down the gym / on roids. Footballers don't need big pecs and shoulders. It's just extra weight that slows them down and affects their balance.)

I thought this to myself the other day as well, Anthony Joshua springs to mind as well - (Had to lose weight to be able to perform at peak level)

However for every AJ, there is an Adama Traore who is just a monster and can utilise it effectively as well.

For me, he needs more flexibility/explosive and calisthenics type training as he is a bit too awkward, stiff, slow off the mark and not fluid in his movement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He has already scored in the PL, and against Liverpool kids (Which was a good move and finished, actually also could/should have had one against Watford).

The 2nd and third paragraphs i'm more likely to believe/agree with as it is obvious his confidence is shot.

He is new to the country, surroundings etc and I have indicated he actually sometimes looks like a big, shy kid who needs an arm around him. (Hence probably also hard on himself and will know/feel he isn't good enough currently - you assume it would come natural for the players to want to encourage him). For all their faults, our players don't come off as the type who would just start "taking the piss" out of him or turn it into a joke if that was the case, although I could be wrong.

Two further points:

If the part in bold is true (Which I don't believe), whoever has leaked that is a clearing in the woods. (As that would indicate it's coming from coaching staff, or a player)

By all accounts the powers that be were after other forwards up until the end of the window but they never materialised for whatever reason.

Ultimately though, if those things are in fact true, then it's the Manager who needs to be held to task, it's one thing persisting with a player to get their confidence up, but it's another to persist with them to the point where it's actually damaging both the clubs prospects, and the player too.

I've said before, background checks e.g getting the "Nice" characters and all that I agree with up to a point, however it has lead to us possibly having a "nice bunch of lads", some of them i'd go as far as saying are "pussies" to be honest - or seem that way.

Ever noticed alot of the players we think are the biggest clearings in the woods always put us to the sword?

i think there is definitely something deeper in this back story, and the overall story of what has turned our season so terribly though.

All in all, this sounds like it comes from a fan (Maybe connected to the training ground/if true) who feels the same way alot of the fans feel about Wesley being poor and decided it would be cool to embellish a story for a bit of banter,

I think the original statement was more in the vein of "he generally doesn't score much  as a striker, even in training", not "he literally doesn't score at all even in training" which I think is quite plausible. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Anthony Joshua springs to mind as well - (Had to lose weight to be able to perform at peak level)

Funnily enough I mentioned AJ in a first version of the post that I accidentally deleted. He was transformed by a bit of weight loss before his last fight.

It's something I've noticed a lot with boxers and footballers. They want to look good, but sometimes what looks good and what works are very different. Joe Calzaghe had a very lean, average physique, but he had amazing hand speed, movement and stamina.

I think short players like Adama and Shaqiri can get away with a stockier physique, but Wesley looks top heavy to me. We're probably only talking about losing a few pounds, but it would make a noticeable difference to his play.

If you watch the Leeds documentary, the first thing Bielsa did when he came in was get all the players to drop some weight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I'm calling absolute bull on that ITK stuff although admittedly the chin up bit made me laugh as I immediately started to play the situation out in my head like a comedy sketch 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, birdman said:

I'm calling absolute bull on that ITK stuff although admittedly the chin up bit made me laugh as I immediately started to play the situation out in my head like a comedy sketch 🤣🤣🤣

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Two further points:

I was told it in Nov, in fairness it’s obviously an exaggeration to say he never scores, the point is he’s not clinical and the players have to pay him on the back to try and get him going

When you watch him recently you can see that the players are not often looking for him. I noticed this several times during the Watford game. It's like they don't trust him to keep the ball or doing something decent with it. That is damaging to the team and the management team should be noticing it and sorting it out. If it means dropping the lad then so be it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Wouldn't surprise me. I have honestly never seen a player so out of depth. Would not bag double digits in the Championship.

48 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

When you watch him recently you can see that the players are not often looking for him. I noticed this several times during the Watford game. It's like they don't trust him to keep the ball or doing something decent with it. That is damaging to the team and the management team should be noticing it and sorting it out. If it means dropping the lad then so be it. 

This is probably my biggest criticism of DS. I just can't fathom why he hasn't been dropped. I don't rate Kodjia at all, but at least he's a footballer. If we keep playing this clown, we will go down. 

7 hours ago, birdman said:

Exactly what I did... Lol

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

If we had other options available I'd go as far as saying he needs to go out on loan!

I said this after the game on Saturday. A loan to the Championship would be the best thing for him right now. Confidence up, scoring some goals and then back to us next season to have another go. Unfortunately it will most likely be Championship football again.

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

The fact you think this was one of his better games shows how **** shit he is.

Lowest amount of touches of any starter from both teams. 

Lowest amount of passes of any starter from both teams. 

1 effort on target

0 dribbles past an opponent. 

And somehow you are using this as praise for him. Somehow this level of shit is deemed better than his usual level of shit and people like you are actually giving credit for it. 

What the **** is going on?

No one knows, mate. The whole situation beggars belief.

The highest praise anyone really gives him is either ‘he wasn’t the worst player on the pitch’ or ‘that wasn’t his worst game for us’.

Its sad to know that we’ll get relegated and he will be moved on and he won’t give a shit about us. 

Its been so so painful watching this guy play for us over the last 5 months. I can’t wait for it to end. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

The fact you think this was one of his better games shows how **** shit he is.

Lowest amount of touches of any starter from both teams. 

Lowest amount of passes of any starter from both teams. 

1 effort on target

0 dribbles past an opponent. 

And somehow you are using this as praise for him. Somehow this level of shit is deemed better than his usual level of shit and people like you are actually giving credit for it. 

What the **** is going on?

One of his better games because he finally made a decent run and got his head to a ball into the box. What a **** joke.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

This is probably my biggest criticism of DS. I just can't fathom why he hasn't been dropped. I don't rate Kodjia at all, but at least he's a footballer. If we keep playing this clown, we will go down. 

Have to agree. I’ve said previously that it looked to me like Wesley was, unfortunately, beginning to drag the rest of the team back. You could see other players have lost confidence in him. That we’ve so under used an alternative to Wesley is neglectful. Almost any alternative would be a positive, I don’t accept the argument put about by some that Kodjia doesn’t care or is no improvement on Wesley. I do think it’s been mistake by the manager to continue with Wesley, it’s proved detrimental to both team and individual. We don’t write Wesley off, we spend time getting his confidence and game improved out of the spotlight and see what he can bring in his 2nd season, maybe even towards the end of this season. But 100% we have to get someone else in now or we will very likely get relegated. 

Â