Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Elton said:

Wow, incredible.

Perhaps we should boo the whole team, except Jack and Heaton so they all know they aren’t cutting it and Smith can then drop them all. That should get the confidence going and fire us up the league. Fortunately the replacements are of such high quality what could possibly go wrong?

Sadly i can see it happening if things don't change.

We all know how quickly VP can turn toxic. Smith is only making things worse by persisting with Wesley every week when he clearly need a break.

Starting him in 2 games withing the space of 3 days was an unbelievable decision.

Edited by villalad21

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Sadly i can see it happening if things don't change.

We all know how quickly VP can turn toxic. Smith is only making things worse by persisting with Wesley every week when he clearly need a break.

Starting him in 2 games withing the space of 3 days way an unbelievable decision.

Smith clearly thinks a tired Wesley is still a better option than Kodjia. I agree I was expecting Kodjia to start. Maybe Kodjia was slightly ill or his head wasn’t right, move imminent etc.

As we’ve seen very little of Kodjia I think it’s hard to know if he would do better. Obviously he couldn’t score less goals at present but as bad as a lot on this forum thinks Wesley is, Kodjia could well be worse. I’m sure Davis comes in as soon as he is fit. 

1 minute ago, Elton said:

Smith clearly thinks a tired Wesley is still a better option than Kodjia. I agree I was expecting Kodjia to start. Maybe Kodjia was slightly ill or his head wasn’t right, move imminent etc.

As we’ve seen very little of Kodjia I think it’s hard to know if he would do better. Obviously he couldn’t score less goals at present but as bad as a lot on this forum thinks Wesley is, Kodjia could well be worse. I’m sure Davis comes in as soon as he is fit. 

I don't understand that.

There's no way Kodjia has looked any worse than Wesley in his cameos. I'd even say he's looked better.

3 minutes ago, Elton said:

I’m sure Davis comes in as soon as he is fit. 

Davis is pretty much in the same mould, IMO. I'd give him a bit of time, but he's certainly not the answer to our problems.

We can't pin our hopes on a kid who looked hopelessly out of his depth in the Championship. We need to invest in a new striker or we're down.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Did you people see the inept performances of Jota, Lansbury and Hourihane last night.

I'm not convinced about Wes, but for him to take such criticism when the quality of service he gets is pathetic I think is a bit harsh tbh

I thought he was rather decent last match, and coming from me that's saying something 😂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Davis is pretty much in the same mould, IMO. I'd give him a bit of time, but he's certainly not the answer to our problems.

We can't pin our hopes on a kid who looked hopelessly out of his depth in the Championship. We need to invest in a new striker or we're down.

Agree we need a new striker but Davis is not in the same mould as Wesley. His strength is his hold up play and every forward we have had struggled under Bruce. If Davis got the service Tammy got last season he would have scored plenty. Davis only played 121 minutes of football last season, so to write him off based  on his first senior season when he was 19 isn’t right for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Absolute nonsense. 

I thought Wesley's header that was saved by Foster was near enough a textbook finish. Arrived at the right moment in the box, headed it down across the keeper, with decent enough power. 9 times out of 10 that's going in, even if the keeper gets something to it.

Seems strange for the commentators to say how brilliant Foster's save was, and then also criticise Wesley for not scoring. Surely it's either a bad miss or a good save, but not both?

As @KenjiOgiwara says, this was one of his best games. His movement was better, his pressing was better with Lansbury in his ear the whole time.

Wesley has loads of problems, Smith should use Kodjia more, and we still need a new striker in January, but we should be fair on the lad when he does the right things.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I thought Wesley's header that was saved by Foster was near enough a textbook finish. Arrived at the right moment in the box, headed it down across the keeper, with decent enough power. 9 times out of 10 that's going in, even if the keeper gets something to it.

Seems strange for the commentators to say how brilliant Foster's save was, and then also criticise Wesley for not scoring. Surely it's either a bad miss or a good save, but not both?

As @KenjiOgiwara says, this was one of his best games. His movement was better, his pressing was better with Lansbury in his ear the whole time.

Wesley has loads of problems, Smith should use Kodjia more, and we still need a new striker in January, but we should be fair on the lad when he does the right things.

Can definitely be both. Imagine for example, a striker having a wide open goal and scuffs the shot, but it was still heading towards goal. The lack of power and direction in the shot allows for the keeper to get to it just in time, to push it out when even with the shot scuffed, he shouldn't have any right to get to it. It is therefore both a bad miss and a good save.

Personally, I thought it was an okay header. Could've done much better, wouldn't have called it textbook, but he got it on target with decent power and another day could've been a goal.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Can definitely be both. Imagine for example, a striker having a wide open goal and scuffs the shot, but it was still heading towards goal. The lack of power and direction in the shot allows for the keeper to get to it just in time, to push it out when even with the shot scuffed, he shouldn't have any right to get to it. It is therefore both a bad miss and a good save.

Sure in that situation you're right, but in the situation Wesley was in, it's either a bad miss (i.e. he's headed it straight at the keeper or over / wide) or he's got it on target and either side of the keeper, and the keeper has pulled off a worldy, no?

I see good players finish like this all the time and nobody says they were lucky it went in.

If it was an in-form, fan favourite rather than Wesley, he wouldn't have been criticised for the miss IMO.

Edited by KentVillan

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Sure in that situation you're right, but in the situation Wesley was in, it's either a bad miss (i.e. he's headed it straight at the keeper or over / wide) or he's got it on target and either side of the keeper, and the keeper has pulled off a worldy, no?

I see good players finish like this all the time and nobody says they were lucky it went in.

Because he hit it straight at the keeper but from that close kind of range, Foster still had to pull off a good save to keep it out. What you could argue made it poor was that Wesley, like the example of the striker who scuffs his shot, had the possibility to make it so that the keeper had absolutely no chance of saving it, and it was through his own fault that the keeper even had a chance to save it in the first place.

Those good players who get praised for these kind of finishes, when they headed it towards goal, did it go beyond the keeper or did it go through him? Because imo, heading it back into the corner the keeper was coming from isn't necessarily a mediocre finish, it only becomes mediocre when in doing so you hit it too close to the keeper. If the ball was headed in that manner, hit the keeper but still went in or went very close towards the keeper's body when he could've put it way out of the keeper's reach, I'd say its a mediocre header. I'm using the word mediocre because provided you put enough power into it and have it on target, I don't think its fair to classify it as a poor finish although it still wouldn't be a good finish eiher.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Yep. I said it previously that it's becoming the same.

If wesley ever scores again, I fully expect a load of posts saying "see all he needs is service"

Look at the posts around the Norwich match away. It's people declaring he's been great all season and they were right, utter madness.

He's touch and go with Hogan right now, there's barely any difference. The thing they do most is hinder any play they get involved in. I wonder who would score more for us when we go down?

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

If it was an in-form, fan favourite rather than Wesley, he wouldn't have been criticised for the miss IMO.

On the one hand, you're right - if Danny Ings produced a header that was saved like that, Southampton fans wouldn't be calling him shit because of it. But on the other hand, that's because Ings scores important goals and is a key player for them, who is pulling his weight in their team. The basic reason people are giving Wesley a hard time is because that chance was his first shot on target in about half a dozen games, or something ridiculous like that. If you wait forever for your striker to have even one decent attempt on goal, and then he gets a free header six yards out from goal but can't score it, then it gets kind of hard to see your striker scoring any more goals this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

On the one hand, you're right - if Danny Ings produced a header that was saved like that, Southampton fans wouldn't be calling him shit because of it. But on the other hand, that's because Ings scores important goals and is a key player for them, who is pulling his weight in their team. The basic reason people are giving Wesley a hard time is because that chance was his first shot on target in about half a dozen games, or something ridiculous like that. If you wait forever for your striker to have even one decent attempt on goal, and then he gets a free header six yards out from goal but can't score it, then it gets kind of hard to see your striker scoring any more goals this season.

I completely accept all of that, was just making the point that I didn't think it was a bad header. Not defending his record this season. Just trying to give credit where credit's due - that was a chance that started with him, and he made the perfectly timed run into the box that we've been begging him to do all season. I thought it was one of the few rays of light in the Watford game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

The fact you think this was one of his better games shows how **** shit he is.

Lowest amount of touches of any starter from both teams. 

Lowest amount of passes of any starter from both teams. 

1 effort on target

0 dribbles past an opponent. 

And somehow you are using this as praise for him. Somehow this level of shit is deemed better than his usual level of shit and people like you are actually giving credit for it. 

What the **** is going on?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I completely accept all of that, was just making the point that I didn't think it was a bad header. Not defending his record this season. Just trying to give credit where credit's due - that was a chance that started with him, and he made the perfectly timed run into the box that we've been begging him to do all season. I thought it was one of the few rays of light in the Watford game.

I agree with this; at least he got in the box this time.

However, I think even talking about this chance is a bit like talking about individual raindrops in a hurricane. The bigger picture is that the guy simply isn't good enough to be playing in the Premier League (maybe he will be one day, though frankly I doubt it), and nothing that happened in the game yesterday proved or suggested otherwise.

Bit of ITK he’s shit in training too, he can’t score **** all in practice games. 

So the players have to keep on saying “c’mon Wes, chin up” but it’s become a bit of a joke. 

I don’t blame Wesley for this I blame the powers that be that brought a young Raw Brazilian new to the country, culture and league and gambled on him scoring enough to get us to safety. He averaged roughly 1 in 3 for Bruges. Quite why we’ve gone so balls in on a 22 year old I don’t know

• Haha 1

Â