Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

8 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes you can see that in the celebrations the  way Connor and jack celebrated vs  Norwich + they always do interviews together,  and it obvious Luiz and Wes look for each other in game and if you can remember back to the away 5-1 win over norwich the dance they both made togther after a goal it was just them and nobody else getting in it , perhaps  I am reading to much into it?

Yes you are. What about the group hug between Wes, Doug and Jack after the Norwich win?

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Yes you are. What about the group hug between Wes, Doug and Jack after the Norwich win?

Im not saying they hate the other players or anything just there might be cliques that might look for each other more .

For me the problem is that he is being played as a lone striker when he's clearly a deep lying forward.

He needs to either overcome the habit of coming deep and play as required for a lone striker, or we need two up top where he can come deeper and we still have someone central up top.

The other issue linked in is that he is left too isolated, we hoof balls up to him and because he's isolated he can do little with it.

The DLF side of his game as a lone striker would only work if we got players from midfield close to to him and running past him, we have had neither recently.

Yeah he isnt doing great currently, but I reckon a large chunk of the issues is the team, players and style of play itself.

I get the impression deano is wedging players in to the single system he wants, rather than playing a formation and style that suits the players we have.

It reminds me of myself in FM games, "FU I'm gonna play tika taka Pep stylee with my conference team just because I like it ok!"

My AM advises me "boss we don't have the players to play this system", I respond...."TiKa TaKa Pepeeeee!"

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

Apparently Davis might be back for the Burnley game, that should motivate Wesley to grab a goal or two knowing that his place could be in danger if he doesn't improve his performances.

‘A goal or two’ 😂

**** me, mate. Two shots would be nice! 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

For me the problem is that he is being played as a lone striker when he's clearly a deep lying forward.

He needs to either overcome the habit of coming deep and play as required for a lone striker, or we need two up top where he can come deeper and we still have someone central up top.

The other issue linked in is that he is left too isolated, we hoof balls up to him and because he's isolated he can do little with it.

The DLF side of his game as a lone striker would only work if we got players from midfield close to to him and running past him, we have had neither recently.

Yeah he isnt doing great currently, but I reckon a large chunk of the issues is the team, players and style of play itself.

I get the impression deano is wedging players in to the single system he wants, rather than playing a formation and style that suits the players we have.

It reminds me of myself in FM games, "FU I'm gonna play tika taka Pep stylee with my conference team just because I like it ok!"

My AM advises me "boss we don't have the players to play this system", I respond...."TiKa TaKa Pepeeeee!"

Is that the excuse now, ‘he’s a deep lying forward’.

No, he’s a shit forward. He isn’t even a footballer. I’m a better ‘deep lying forward’ than he is. 

’deep lying forward’ lol. I grew up thinking strikers scored goals. Maybe I was wrong this whole time! 

🤣

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Is that the excuse now, ‘he’s a deep lying forward’.

No, he’s a shit forward. He isn’t even a footballer. I’m a better ‘deep lying forward’ than he is. 

’deep lying forward’ lol. I grew up thinking strikers scored goals. Maybe I was wrong this whole time! 

🤣

urm..   ..ok. 🤨

38 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Pretty sure Jota gets on really well with Wes and helped him settle.  Jota seemed on his wavelength earlier in the season but it's hard to get them both in the team.

Jota seems to be the only person to have played him the through balls to run onto that he seems to do better with. Trez/Ghazi and even Jack just fire crosses in the air at him which he's clearly not capable of dealing with.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Villarocker said:

When you watch him recently you can see that the players are not often looking for him. I noticed this several times during the Watford game. It's like they don't trust him to keep the ball or doing something decent with it. That is damaging to the team and the management team should be noticing it and sorting it out. If it means dropping the lad then so be it. 

It's been over a month. The team know he's shite and they're absolutely right.

£22m. **** hell. He's going to be here until he leaves on a free after 3 more years of wank. Devastating.

9 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Against Watford, there were a few occasions where he was looking for a through-ball to run onto and he was the right side of the centre back to get there first. However, on each occasion, the pass wasn't made. He would have had a chance to run at goal or get a shot away at least 3 or 4 times that game but nobody tried the pass. I am sure that Grealish, Lansbury, Luiz all had that pass available but they didn't make it and that told me that they simply don't trust him to make something of it. I actually felt sorry for him as he was pointing where he wanted it but not getting the ball. But, I guess when you look so poor game in game out you start to lose the trust of your teammates and that is a huge problem for us.

There'll be a podcast interview with Henri Lansbury in a few years where he lifts the lid on all of this. Jimmy Bullard pissing his pants in the background.

10 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Against Watford, there were a few occasions where he was looking for a through-ball to run onto and he was the right side of the centre back to get there first. However, on each occasion, the pass wasn't made. He would have had a chance to run at goal or get a shot away at least 3 or 4 times that game but nobody tried the pass.

That's been working out great for them then hasn't it?

"Trust him" or not, you're trying to tell me the right decision is to ignore the person In a better position to score a goal than you?

Then people wonder why " he can't get a shot on goal" lol.

"Yeah let's just pass it sideways and backwards, before inevitably losing it via misplaced mass or defensive error to concede".

Even by the law of averages that is a pathetic way of thinking.

Personally, I don't necessarily think there is any deep rooted conspiracy. I think Wesley's movement etc might be lacking at tines, but I also think the decision making and performances of everything behind him are equally shit.

There is no special thought put into most of the garbage decision making being done all across the pitch.

Yes I do feel sorry for him too, since he is the one being played, giving him a better chance to get a goal, build his confidence and redeem himself would be better for the team overall.

People will claim you are "making excuses for a donkey", yet in the same breath claim a whole team can't do the basics because of said donkey.

Ironies, oxymorons and all that.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Completely agree.

I don’t think he’s particularly good but Smith’s “system” doesn’t help him out what so ever.

17 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Totally agree.We do not have the players for 4 3 3 and we could definately use 2 up front ( especially now that we need goals/wins )I remember Van Gall tried 3 5 2 at Manure and he didnt have 3 CDs so he player Shaw,He ended up getting the sack.

I haven’t heard an update on Keinan’s fitness, so I expect Wesley starts tomorrow. As much as this may trigger some people, I also think Smith will want his height to defend set pieces since Burnley are world champions at head volleyball.

Some other stats that show how he is part of a major problem. 

Only konza, mings and targett average less dribbles past players per game. Our main striker is one of the worst players at beating an opposition player. He can't create things for himself and his inability to beat a man limits what he can do once he gets the ball  

He has easily the highest average of losing the ball due to a bad touch than any other player in the squad. So not only is he limited with the ball, he loses it because of his terrible control more than anyone else. 

His passes per game and pass completion are some of the worst in the squad. 

We know his shots and especially shots on target are woeful.

So we have our lone striker, who isn't good at controlling the ball, passing the ball, dribbling with the ball and scoring goals. Yet some will have you believe it's the formation, the system or the rest of our players. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Only konza, mings and targett average less dribbles past players per game. Our main striker is one of the worst players at beating an opposition player. He can't create things for himself and his inability to beat a man limits what he can do once he gets the ball  

He has easily the highest average of losing the ball due to a bad touch than any other player in the squad. So not only is he limited with the ball, he loses it because of his terrible control more than anyone else. 

So we have our lone striker, who isn't good at controlling the ball, passing the ball, dribbling with the ball and scoring goals. Yet some will have you believe it's the formation, the system or the rest of our players. 

Easy to swing stats though.

Average pass - He averages 30 passes per game at 84% completion, mcGinn 28 at 82, Grealish 40 @ 85,%, Luiz 30 @ 85% - hardly “some of the worst in squad”  - I read it wrong, it’s average of 17 @72 so yeah dog toffee

losing ball - on average 2.7 times per match,  Grealish 1.7, Abraham spookily 2.7 times per match (just for shits and giggles), AEG 1.7 - so agreed first touch could be a lot better, but some of the balls we have pinged up to him not many could control - but for context sterling 1.9, Abraham 2.7,  C Wilson 2.4, joelinton 3.8

Dribbles - He averages less than 1 a game (.6) but like you say if he doesn’t get the ball or has rubbish control this is expected. (Connor 0.2, AEG 0.9) and again for shots and giggles - Abraham 0.4 per game, Pukki 0.9, vardy 0.7

So Abraham/Vardy are part of their teams major problems? If we’re judging on those stats - like I said stats can be used however you want them (like I have).

he is an issue, but not our major one ;)

Edited by MattVillaPortsmouth
Wrong passing stats
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah those stats look bad but when you look at the underlying causes you notice he gets the ball among the fewest times per game and often in the worst positions. Wesley has 2.7 unsuccessful touches per game ashley Barnes has 2.8 and I'm sure you can all agree he is a good striker. I don't blame Wesley for the poor appearance of those stats the same why no one else blames Grealish for giving the ball away more than any of our other players. It comes with the territory especially when you are often fighting to win inaccurate long balls whilst off balance because you have to knock the defender out of the way.

If wesley is given the opportunity to contribute he will like he has done against Man U, Everton, Brighton Norwich etc. Our midfield gets overrun every single game but we are out here bollocking our striker who drops deep to try and help the midfield. 

10 minutes ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

Easy to swing stats though.

he is an issue, but not our major one ;)

It is easy to swing stats, that's why I prefer to watch games.

Wes is absolutely our biggest concern and we'll be getting relegated if he isn't replaced.

We'll then have many of the same issues building attacks in the Championship because he doesn't know what his job is. He doesn't know where to run, where to stand, how to challenge a long ball.

• Like 3

Â