Pre-match thread

villa89

3 minutes ago, tyklip said:

One consideration: putting a likely loss on older players protects the younger fullbacks' confidence. I think it's a weak rationale, but not crazy. 

Maybe his focus was to work on the Engles \ Mings partnership - Mings knows those two full backs - and will be guiding Engles through the game.

well, wasnt expecting Elmo and Taylor.....cant say i'm over happy about that but hey, it is what it is....

Dean must have his reasons and therefore, whilst i'm not happy about it, i keep the faith....utv

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Smith gone for the Elmo - Trez connection possibly?

Elmo's best spell for us was when Snodgrass was on form and they work really well together.

So there might be something in that

I fear we will get over powered in midfield and not offer enough going forward from FB, so will be camped in our defensive third too much. As per Norwich last night I fear we might be too similar to the championship team of last season. Hope I’m wrong but I’m surprised at that starting 11, and not in a nice way! 

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

"Smith has written this off. Doesn't want to knock confidence team he wants to pick when our season starts next weekend. Luiz, Targett, Guilbert all start at Villa Park."

Edited by Tomaszk

TBH, he's played the team closest to the one who held up to the pressure at Wembley and got us promoted.  Hoping the same experienced heads can get us something at Spurs.  UTV!  Let's go, boys!