Pre-match thread

villa89

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

If we were still in the Championship Id be concerned if Taylor and Elmo were our main full backs. We are about to play last seasons CL finalists..

Yes totally agree. It seems strange to have spent all that money and not improved/strengthened on these two.

2 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

There’s an awful lot of pant pissing going on in here. Let’s wait and see shall we rather than writing the game off. 

I think one or two are merely pointing out some legitimate selection concerns. I hope I’m wildly wrong but I foresee a big potential problem with our FBs, both are ageing and both have been deemed as not good enough for Premier League a few years ago. Like I say, I hope I’m wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

For me this team hints at Smith protecting the new lads. Spurs are a quality team and could bash us 5-0 easily, regardless of our team selection. Just like Liverpool and Man City have done. But it is the wrong team selection.

Doesn't really fit in with Smith's "Go out to win every game" philosophy. That says he has already given this up as a loss. TBF, maybe that is entirely realistic as an expectation. It's one shared by many on here, as has been written by many leading up to the game.

Personally, I'd rather lose a game we are going to lose with Guilbert in and Taylor out. :lol:

Very surprised by the line-up, but expect the reason for it, is that these are the majority of the players that got us here, so they deserve a chance at defending their position. 

The new players will have to prove their worth to get into the starting XI.

• Like 1

Thought he might play Nakamba, again, is he unfit?

Twitter says that Guilbert picked up a knock

TBH, compared with what it could be, Spurs are not close to being full strength. It’s as good a chance as we have at their place, both teams will be raring to go. Anything could happen

UTV

Edited by thunderball

First round always offers up some surprising starting line-ups.

Brighton had all 4 of their big new signings on the bench.

That said I thought we'd start with a totally different 11 today.

5 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Yes totally agree. It seems strange to have spent all that money and not improved/strengthened on these two.

We have strengthened and improved. One is seemingly injured, and the the other for some reason on the bench. Doesn't mean we haven't improved.

I think a big part of his thinking is maintaining last season's back four to an extent. 

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

The guy who see's them everyday in training perhaps thinks this is his strongest line up - We have to respect that. Remember smith is Head coach not manager - other members of the team source the players - its Smiths job to get results at first team level - Without Smith we would probably be without  mcginn and grealish  and lining up v hull. 

I was about to write something similar, thanks for saving me the trouble. Lots may have changed at the club, but nothing has changed on here. I’ve never seen such a ridiculous over reaction on the back of a wonderful summer and before a ball has even been kicked. I’m just glad we’re not in the trenches. 

• Like 2

Let's just see shall we. Taylor may be there in a purely defensive role and won't be expected to stray to far forward. Maybe his strengths are in a disciplined role to protect Al ghazi as opposed to target who is more of a wing back. We have a squad for a reason. Elmo will be expected to get forward more. I expect Wesley to eat defenders today. I'm still believing in my villa 10-1 bet