Pre-match thread

villa89

Neil Taylor has been the shittiest player at the club for 3 years. I'm absolutely shocked he's been selected ahead of Targett or even Hause. If there was an issue with either of those 2 then I'd rather play Mings at LB ahead of Taylor and bring someone else in at centre back. He''d be the 4th choice left back for me.. I can't describe in words how deflated I am seeing Taylor as our first choice left back after spending close to a 150m over the summer.

All the preseason optimism has been drained out of me. I cant even find myself looking at the rest of the line up after seeing that shock at left back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, daggy_333 said:

Not sure how you could describe Elmo as a weak link from last season. Taylor probably but Elmo? 

Elmo was decent going forward but looked suspect defensively. He’s getting on as well. Taylor is the weaker link but I worry for Elmo against Spurs too. Hopefully Trezeguet will help him out.

Guilbert must be unfit. 

I can see Elmo linking up down the RHS with Trez, Trez is the wild card for all.

Fullbacks will be defensive today, won’t get over the half way line so maybe he fancies Taylor in this capacity and also sticking with a close to familiar 11 as he can?

Thats my guess.

Maupay scored today, think I will be watching him all season.

• Like 2

2 changes from the defensive set up from last season - Heaton is a definite upgrade. Engels done well pre season.  Message to the new players - don't assume a big fee guarantees a starting place. 

• Like 1

I think he’s gone for a familiar back 4 after watching what has happened to Norwich and West Ham. I don’t blame him. The last thing we want is a heavy defeat here by playing too open with our attacking fullbacks. This is only one game, having our confidence destroyed would really set us back.

He’s also gone for partnerships that know eachother on the wings and midfield.

If we don’t concede early, I think we will make a game of it.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Taylor oh god noo

**** sake. That's a shocker. I have no idea wtf he is doing with those fullbacks. Be fair to say that gives me a huge sinking feeling and all optimism has just drained away. I assume Guilbert is injured? Surely?

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Was hoping to see the strongest line up, see our chances, this team will prove nothing.

The guy who see's them everyday in training perhaps thinks this is his strongest line up - We have to respect that. Remember smith is Head coach not manager - other members of the team source the players - its Smiths job to get results at first team level - Without Smith we would probably be without  mcginn and grealish  and lining up v hull. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GeordieVillan said:

I think he’s gone for a familiar back 4 after watching what has happened to Norwich and West Ham. I don’t blame him. The last thing we want is a heavy defeat here by playing too open with our attacking fullbacks. This is only one game, having our confidence destroyed would really set us back.

He’s also gone for partnerships that know eachother on the wings and midfield.

If we don’t concede early, I think we will make a game of it.

I think you're right. The back four minus Tuanzebe is the same back four that played in the Play-Off Final and all of our winning streak to get there.

I know people are frustrated to see Taylor back, but I do agree with you that keeping an element of familiarity in the side is a good thing. 

• Like 1

Keeping continuity and slowly introducing and easing new players in (rather than throwing a load of new faces together). No, I wouldnt have picked it but fair play, still confident that our style amd energy is going to surprise them today.

• Like 4