Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

It depends on how his aggression is channeled. We don’t want an out and out thug, but we don’t want a team of light weights either. Most good teams have or two with a bit of “attitude”. 

I think this is true, well phrased 

11 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We've just got that highly rated bloke from West Brom to head up the academy. He'll be shaking up the bairnfinders most likely.

Not his job to do that it’s Academy Head of Recruitment  who does the recruiting of players and scouts . Mark Harrison is just Academy Manager for the players that are  bought into club via scouts and Villa’s Academy Head of Recruitment.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We've just got that highly rated bloke from West Brom to head up the academy. He'll be shaking up the bairnfinders most likely.

Who did Tesco Bags produced from their academy actually? my memory isn't helping but I don't think they're well known into developing players. Hope someone give us his view on this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

For me Bielsa is a wonderful coach who got a largely average team to over-deliver. I'm just not sure whether a player like Philips was just playing out of his skin due to a great manager and there will be a regression to the mean coming this season. 

Phillips was performing well before Bielsa even took charge. He was a standout player in 17/18. There are a lot of players in that team that fit your description but imo Phillips isn't one of them. The lad can play.

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Who did Tesco Bags produced from their academy actually? my memory isn't helping but I don't think they're well known into developing players. Hope someone give us his view on this.

I was about to post the exact same thing. People are going on about us doing one over on WBA.. but for the life of me I can't think of a single player thats come through their academy and is doing well.

I mean even Blues have Redmond and Butland doing quite well.

Our own academy has plenty of players in the Premier League and Championship, whats this West Brom bloke going to bring to the table?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/west-bromwich-albion/jugendarbeit/verein/984

Some fairly decent names in there, not world beaters though.

Albion have a number of very highly rated academy players at the moment, Jamie Soule linked with Dortumnd, Louie Barry being linked with Barcelona, and Harper highly rated, and a number of them being getting international call ups recently as well. Matt Smith now a Man City player, Izzy Brown, Jerome Sinclair, Yan Dhanda, Roofe are some of the other players to have come through their academy in recent seasons as well.

• Like 1

Over the past few years west brom have had more england youth internationals than most Prem clubs without scouting outside of the Midlands apparently.

Dan Ashworth, who moved to the FA was the brainchild of the overhaul to their setup a decade ago but perhaps villa have seen Harrison's involvement (who would have implemented Ashworth's plans on the ground) and been impressed. It may be a case of wanting to steal what Ashworth did amd seeing harrison as the perfect man to implement it here.

There's a bbc article covering their sucesss with some comments from harrison. 

In an era when big clubs recruit teenagers from overseas and claim them as academy products, a true grow-your-own plan conceived by Dan Ashworth over a decade ago looks set to bear fruit just in time to breathe fresh life into West Bromwich Albion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47766043

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

According to TeamTalk he's decided to stay at Leeds for another year. I kinda like him more now tbh if that's true. 

TeamTalk you say?

Damn, just as I was getting my hopes up... 

(I think he probably will unless they absolutely need to sell him. Aka like Jack)

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

TeamTalk you say?

Damn, just as I was getting my hopes up... 

(I think he probably will unless they absolutely need to sell him. Aka like Jack)

I have absolutely no idea how reliable TeamTalk are, would be a bit of a random thing to make up. But, they could have done I guess.

£12m plus Hourihane for Phillips. I'd be surprised if that happens, we're short in midfield as it is, without losing Hourihane.

Edited by useless

Hes Leeds from boyhood right? If he has decided to stay then we should show the utmost respect for that, as its exactly the situation we were in 12 months ago with Jack. If Leeds can keep their players and get a couple more decent loans in then no reason they shouldn't be aiming to win that league next year. But then most people had them as certain to go up last Christmas and they Leeds'd it. 

• Like 2

Â