Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

People are talking about £20m for this guy, another £20m for Maupay, then £20m for Benrahma, before you know it you've spent £60m on three championship players who haven't had many good seasons between them, just because they're good players with the potential to get better doesn't mean to say they're worth that much. The season before last in the championship along with Grealish, Neves and Sessegnon were the stand out players, and even they haven't had anywhere near the same impact in the Premier league, just because Phillips is good in the championship doesn't mean to say he can make the step up and we should be throwing big money at him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Good argument.

But he could just as well be any of a list of one season wonders.

The point is its risky and for that money we could drastically reduce that risk elsewhere.

I think every signing comes with an element of risk though.

Worst case scenario (barring a Luc Nilis type injury, God forbid) is we buy him say for arguments sake £15M, he doesn't perform and we sell him at a bit of a loss - Providing he isn't on ridiculous wages, which I doubt he would be, then I don't think it will hurt us too much.

Just now, WakefieldVillan said:

I think every signing comes with an element of risk though.

Worst case scenario (barring a Luc Nilis type injury, God forbid) is we buy him say for arguments sake £15M, he doesn't perform and we sell him at a bit of a loss - Providing he isn't on ridiculous wages, which I doubt he would be, then I don't think it will hurt us too much.

Luc Nilis was the benchmark of a striker that promised so much... and we were robbed of...

Never forgiven Richard Wright since then...

• Sad 2

56 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Good argument.

But he could just as well be any of a list of one season wonders.

The point is its risky and for that money we could drastically reduce that risk elsewhere.

With who? Won't be getting an established PL for that. With a player that has never stepped foot on a pitch in England? That's risky in a different way.

33 minutes ago, useless said:

People are talking about £20m for this guy, another £20m for Maupay, then £20m for Benrahma, before you know it you've spent £60m on three championship players who haven't had many good seasons between them, just because they're good players with the potential to get better doesn't mean to say they're worth that much. The season before last in the championship along with Grealish, Neves and Sessegnon were the stand out players, and even they haven't had anywhere near the same impact in the Premier league, just because Phillips is good in the championship doesn't mean to say he can make the step up and we should be throwing big money at him.

I'd take Maupay, but that's it, we have access to a lot more than the Championship, we shouldn't over-rely on that league as the risk is we're just getting, well, a very good championship team.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nigel said:

It was only a matter of time before the ridiculous prices from the premiership started trickling down!

We've certainly played our part in this.

McCormack, Hogan, Kodjia

• Like 1

Kalvin Philips improved enormously last season under a very good coach. Bielsa looked at his characteristics and physical attributes and started moulding him into the DM/3rd CB role. He can still improve a lot under another good coach, Dean Smith.

Aggression, tenacity, energy, 90 minutes stamina, tackling ability, and can pass the ball forward well. His disciplinary record last season was 9 yellows, 1 red card in a very combative team. 

We lack what Philips can currently offer so I'm happy with this link.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

With who? Won't be getting an established PL for that. With a player that has never stepped foot on a pitch in England? That's risky in a different way.

You would get a decent enough international player from the continent for that kind of money.  Id say that would be a lot less risky than a championship player with 1 season behind him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

You would get a decent enough international player from the continent for that kind of money.  Id say that would be a lot less risky than a championship player with 1 season behind him.

One thing on Philips thou is he played under Bielsa last season and if he has a head on him he will have picked up a lot that your average Championship player would not have in his locker.

I know all don't rate Bielsa, but he is extremely demanding and you don't become a key player in his team unless you have the right mindset and is able to understand and follow tactics.

This is a huge + for me with Philips.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Phillips has played over 40 games this last 3 seasons for Leeds before that made number of appearances over the seasons. He made his debut in 2014/15 season.

2 appearances 2014/15
10 appearances 2015/16
40 appearances 2016/17
43 appearances 2017/18
46 appearances 2018/19

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NIVillan said:

How much did we buy Delph?  They were a division lower when we bought him from them.

They were League 1 then I believe, so 2 divisions lower

1 minute ago, sne said:

One thing on Philips thou is he played under Bielsa last season and if he has a head on him he will have picked up a lot that your average Championship player would not have in his locker.

I know all don't rate Bielsa, but he is extremely demanding and you don't become a key player in his team unless you have the right mindset and is able to understand and follow tactics.

This is a huge + for me with Philips.

For me Bielsa is a wonderful coach who got a largely average team to over-deliver. I'm just not sure whether a player like Philips was just playing out of his skin due to a great manager and there will be a regression to the mean coming this season. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

For me Bielsa is a wonderful coach who got a largely average team to over-deliver. I'm just not sure whether a player like Philips was just playing out of his skin due to a great manager and there will be a regression to the mean coming this season. 

Agreed.

I'm vary of building a Championship dream team 2,0.

Partly because it will be very expensive, but also because the football played in the PL is different to the one in the Championship and we need players who are used to facing different types of opponents and not just try-hards (over simplification)

Â