Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well Grealish had his bags packed, so there's that. 

I hear you DDID though of course that was mainly because at the time i believe he was effectively saving us financially by going. As soon as the money was sorted he unpacked those bags.

29 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Isn't he a bit to them what Jack is to us?

Jack stayed and not wanted to go to Spurs. Let's see how much Phillips wants to play in the Premier League.

Could say the same about Lewis Cook. Born and bred Leeds. Came through the youth set up and has done pretty well at Bournemouth prior to getting injured.

Everyone is saying he’s a Leeds fan, but comments from their lot are all about him being a good player, I’ve not heard anyone say, “He’s one of our own”. 

He’s been there 5 years and so almost certainly has an affinity with the club, but I’m not sure he’s at the Jack or  Deano level of support. And besides it’s just a journo saying he wants to stay, probably been fed that by the club to help with negotiations. 

1 minute ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I hear you DDID though of course that was mainly because at the time i believe he was effectively saving us financially by going. As soon as the money was sorted he unpacked those bags.

Not really true I don't believe, from what I heard he had understandably grown quote fond at the thought of leaving to join a CL club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

But we were going into administration while Leeds might be bought by Qatar.

Leeds always seem to be on the verge of being bought by Qatar. 

And actually we had already been bought by NSWE at this stage. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

That's not true. Sawiris changed his mind, effectively. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That's not true. Sawiris changed his mind, effectively. 

Ah ok, i must have been wrong in my belief ... If he came i do feel it would be a good signing, and i hope he does as he looked a real tough cookie every time i saw him last season which is of course just what we need.

9 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Really can't see this happening if he is a Leeds boy and playing for his boyhood club and is also making noises that he wants to stay. It Smacks of Grealish with us Last summer and Spurs sniffing around him (who you might argue were a bigger pull last season being in champs league than we are as a newly promoted team this season).

Grealish wanted to sign for Spurs but Villa pulled the plug on what Jack thought was a done deal .... Philips said he wanted to stay at Leeds some time ago in response to a question (but what else would he say at the time?). Leeds may well refuse to sell him to keep Bielsa happy, but on the other hand Bielsa might quite like 14 million to spend on 2/3 new additions that he can improve like he did with KP. The Leeds squad isn't the biggest when you get beyond the first eleven.

Philips is paid approx £5000 per week by Leeds and presumably wants to play at the highest level that he can. He can achieve Premier football status and a very healthy pay rise if Villa sign him.

We'll have to wait and see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Ah ok, i must have been wrong in my belief ... If he came i do feel it would be a good signing, and i hope he does as he looked a real tough cookie every time i saw him last season which is of course just what we need.

Takeover happened on 20th July. Grealish clapped the fans as he left the pitch on 6th August, thinking he was gone. I doubt they left him in limbo intentionally, we certainly didn't need to sell him by the point to save the club. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Could say the same about Lewis Cook. Born and bred Leeds. Came through the youth set up and has done pretty well at Bournemouth prior to getting injured.

Also James Milner who was sold to Newcastle! Alan Smith (Man Utd) and quite few others

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Everyone is saying he’s a Leeds fan, but comments from their lot are all about him being a good player, I’ve not heard anyone say, “He’s one of our own”. 

He’s been there 5 years and so almost certainly has an affinity with the club, but I’m not sure he’s at the Jack or  Deano level of support. And besides it’s just a journo saying he wants to stay, probably been fed that by the club to help with negotiations. 

He's a Leeds lad, born and bred.

25 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

On the other hand, Kodjia was class for us in his first season, and many people were talking about him being our first choice striker if we got promoted.

It's dangerous to judge a player on one great season.

Let's hope we've learned a lesson after Hogan, and that any expensive players we buy have been scouted to within an inch of their lives!

I agree to an extent, but players are generally going to be purchased on the back off having a good season(s) rather than a poor one.

Kodjia has suffered two bad ankle injuries whilst at Villa and that definitely (for me) impacted his performances from his first season here, but injuries can and will happen.

Hogan, I agree, this has been a signing that's completely failed and hopefully we have learned from that. 

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

I just think with this one, a young strong defensive quick midfielder is crucial to us next season.

Bielsa could transform his squad by selling Phillips for £20 mill. Although £5 mill of that goes towards Bielsa's pay packet. Without a takeover or some innovative FFP accounting it only follows that Leeds will need to sell a couple - regardless of how much said player loves his club. Would have been us. 

Leeds fans don't seem very hopeful that Qatar takeover is going to actually happen I think it's all gone quiet on that front, in recent days QSI have been linked with Blackburn, besides it wasn't a full or majority takeover that was being talked about, the story was that the PSG owners were going to buy ten percent. They already have a very wealthy group connected to the 49ers who part own them, but Radrizzani has said that he doesn't want to make a full sale.

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Who we really want is there youth scout

Leeds have had a cracking academy all the way back until the late 90s when they bought Kewell, McPhail, Milner, Smith to name a few. Dipped a bit in the noughties and they bought badly in the lower leagues then they've produced some talents again in recent years. Don't think it's anyone one person doing it at Leeds. They just seem to put big emphasis on it.

16 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Who we really want is there youth scout

They probably employ around 30 to 40 Youth Scouts (Majority of them will be volunteers that don't get a wage or expenses) all around Yorkshire, North West & North East  area's they don't employ just one! Villa employ around 40 youth scouts in various area's.

Edited by Villan4Life

Â