Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

Some reports saying he wants to stay. If that's the case, that's fine but I don't want us to pursue a player who isn't really up for it. We can't be doing with players who aren't 100% committed to the cause - been stung way too many times before. 

6 minutes ago, Junxs said:

They were League 1 then I believe, so 2 divisions lower

Nope One Division lower than they are now - Perhaps original comment needed a bit more context :)

5 minutes ago, Junxs said:

They were League 1 then I believe, so 2 divisions lower

I think it was about 7 million. It took him two years to get up to speed before he was considered a regular first team player (although he did have injuries). 

2 hours ago, useless said:

He wants to stay at Leeds. Have to say I thought the talk of paying £20m was way over the top anyway, he's had one real standout season in the championship which some are putting down to the Bielsa affect, and is out of contract in a couple of years. Our only hope now is that Radrizzani has said that every summer they're going to have to sell an asset, but this summer it will probably be more likely Jack Clarke they sell.

I put this in the summer transfer thread, but I really don't think he plans to move.

Phillips is currently in talks over a new contract, so it's unsurprising that suddenly he is being linked with other teams. Unless the club desperately needs to sell he will be a Leeds player in September. I don't think they will need to, as Leeds are heavily rumoured to be imminently taken over by the PSG owners. 

Just asked a Leeds season ticket holder who I work with his opinion. He's generally a very mild mannered, easy going guy. 

Told me to f... off!!!! 

That's all I need to know, sign him up! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Phillips has played over 40 games this last 3 seasons for Leeds before that made number of appearances over the seasons. He made his debut in 2014/15 season.

2 appearances 2014/15
10 appearances 2015/16
40 appearances 2016/17
43 appearances 2017/18
46 appearances 2018/19

Interesting.  Isnt it the case that Bielsa moved him  to dm only last season?  Where did he play before?

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Of course, it is

It depends on how his aggression is channeled. We don’t want an out and out thug, but we don’t want a team of light weights either. Most good teams have or two with a bit of “attitude”. 

• Like 1

Would love Phillips here.

But tbh, as he is only 23, and a leeds fan (I assume) he should stay there for one more season imo, and leave if they dont go up.  I'd be very confident they'd get promoted next year so that would seem like the wisest move to me. I think the player would see it that way too so can't see it happening.

Still, us being linked with him will wind up the bitter Leeds fan who always comes on here, which is good. 😄

Edited by villanmac

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

For me Bielsa is a wonderful coach who got a largely average team to over-deliver. I'm just not sure whether a player like Philips was just playing out of his skin due to a great manager and there will be a regression to the mean coming this season. 

That assumes we don't have a good coach able to get the best out of a player like him. If we don't, we're screwed anyway. 

You can only really scout players based on their own attributes, that much is true. He passes the eye test for me and the statistical one too. 

58.5 passes per game, 82% completion rate

2.6 tackles won, 2.6 clearances, 1.3 interceptions, 2.6 headers won, kilometer after kilometre ran. 

The skillset is there. It would be up to our coaches to get the best from him and utilise him correctly. 

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Interesting.  Isnt it the case that Bielsa moved him  to dm only last season?  Where did he play before?

Centre Midfield. But had goals in his game then before converting to Defensive Midfielder

Last season 46 games 1 goal

2017/2018: 43 appearances. 7 goals. (His best goalscoring season to date.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/785267/Leeds-news-Kalvin-Phillips-Aston-Villa-transfer-fans-Twitter

Leeds fans furious at Kalvin Phillips to Aston Villa transfer claim - ‘This can’t happen’

LEEDS fas have been left furious at rumours linking Kalvin Phillips with a move to promoted side Aston Villa.

The 23-year-old is the subject of a £14million bid from Villa Park, according to The Telegraph. 

But the Whites are prepared to charge up to £20m for the Englishman. 

Villa are preparing for their first season in the Premier League for three years. 

Dean Smith’s side beat Derby 2-1 in the Championship play-off final for the last promotion spot

But there was disappointment for Leeds, who fell to a 4-3 aggregate defeat against Frank Lampard’s side. 

One star they have to thank at Elland Road this year is Phillips, who made 46 appearances as a defensive midfielder. 

The 23-year-old grabbed a goal as well as three assists last season too.

And it marks 139 appearances for Phillips since joining the club five years ago. 

Phillips’ rumoured move comes as 

But the midfielder could be heading to Villa Park as Smith looks to strengthen his squad for the Premier League. 

The Villains have already completed a permanent dealfor Anwar El Ghazi and signed Jota from Birmingham City.

Leeds fans, though, were left fuming at the thought of Phillips being the third signing.  

“He was one of our best players last season.”

Another commented: “This can’t happen for any price.”

While a third sent a warning to Marcelo Bielsa.

The only player Leeds cannot sell is Phillips – end of,” they said. 

And a fourth added: “Do not sell Phillips.”

It comes as Leeds have rejected a La Liga loan offer. 

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

If McGinn had played for Leeds last season and played as well as he did for us, would you not sign him based on him having one good season in the championship?

He was class last season and is capable of the step up IMO, he has scope for improvement too. 

On the other hand, Kodjia was class for us in his first season, and many people were talking about him being our first choice striker if we got promoted.

It's dangerous to judge a player on one great season.

Let's hope we've learned a lesson after Hogan, and that any expensive players we buy have been scouted to within an inch of their lives!

4 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/785267/Leeds-news-Kalvin-Phillips-Aston-Villa-transfer-fans-Twitter

Leeds fans furious at Kalvin Phillips to Aston Villa transfer claim - ‘This can’t happen’

I am sure they will be on here soon with their advice and faux sympathies about our financial plight..

• Haha 1

Really can't see this happening if he is a Leeds boy and playing for his boyhood club and is also making noises that he wants to stay. It Smacks of Grealish with us Last summer and Spurs sniffing around him (who you might argue were a bigger pull last season being in champs league than we are as a newly promoted team this season).

2 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Really can't see this happening if he is a Leeds boy and playing for his boyhood club and is also making noises that he wants to stay. It Smacks of Grealish with us Last summer and Spurs sniffing around him (who you might argue were a bigger pull last season being in champs league than we are as a newly promoted team this season).

Well Grealish had his bags packed, so there's that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Me neither, and Bielsa staying put will also play a part in him not moving I'd wager.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well Grealish had his bags packed, so there's that. 

But we were going into administration while Leeds might be bought by Qatar.

Â