Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

16 minutes ago, useless said:

£12m plus Hourihane for Phillips. I'd be surprised if that happens, we're short in midfield as it is, without losing Hourihane.

No way we are trading Hourihane. I wouldnt do a straight swap for those players never mind 12m as well!  Hourihane will be a key player for us this year, he just needs a bit of steel along side him, someone wholl get stuck in with tough tackles and has plenty of energy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Qwpzxjor1 said:

Hes Leeds from boyhood right? If he has decided to stay then we should show the utmost respect for that, as its exactly the situation we were in 12 months ago with Jack. If Leeds can keep their players and get a couple more decent loans in then no reason they shouldn't be aiming to win that league next year. But then most people had them as certain to go up last Christmas and they Leeds'd it. 

Well not exactly the same as he likely can't remember Leeds in the top division much, he was 6 when they were last there.

The club should  take caution as well, if we're still interested in Jan, and they are sat 14th, Bielsa walked. Our offer will not be anything near £20m.

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have heard that although Leeds have to sell some players beforint they can buy, Philips is not one of them. He is in Bielsa’s plans. 

I don’t think this one will happen. 

All clubs have players they dont want to sell....

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

All clubs have players they dont want to sell....

Yeah but Leeds actually have a list of player they don’t want to sell but have to sell. 

Philips isn’t one of them so they will ask for silly money. That’s the difference.

I like him as a player and think he can be effective but hes not worth silly money.

There will be more than a few players we can look at who would be better value in that position.

• Like 1

Philips would be a perfect DM for Aston Villa. He's hard as nails, has a great engine and a 'Premier League' range of passing. He has the presence of a player that you definitely wouldn't want in your face for 90 minutes. Even if he costs 20 million we should buy him. A very round peg in a round hole for a change.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeah but Leeds actually have a list of player they don’t want to sell but have to sell. 

Philips isn’t one of them so they will ask for silly money. That’s the difference.

The only difference is price

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

I like him as a player and think he can be effective but hes not worth silly money.

There will be more than a few players we can look at who would be better value in that position.

Yes, I agree with this. I like him a lot, but £20m is a huge amount of money for a Championship player in his position. We could almost certainly get someone as good from the continent for not much more than half that price. 

• Like 3

On 13/06/2019 at 03:55, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s a vast upgrade on Connor and he’s younger too, the only downside is that he’s a bit of a thug. Smith has obviously seen that we need toughening up and is addressing that

Villa have been a soft touch for a long time. Too many teams full of nice guys. A skilled defensive midfielder with a chip on his shoulder is just what the doctor ordered, IMO

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Villa have been a soft touch for a long time. Too many teams full of nice guys. A skilled defensive midfielder with a chip on his shoulder is just what the doctor ordered, IMO

Can you imagine Mings and Phillips in the same team?

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

100% agree. If not Phillips this is exactly the type of profile we should be looking for. 

Yeah, I think Phillips is decent but I'm not convinced this is the best signing we could make in this position. Good steely midfielder but unproven at the top level and fairly limited in his overall game. He should be an option, but we should also have other players on our radar.

Think we should be casting the net wider and looking to find a young Marco Verratti/Xabi Alonso type who tackle as well as play. The under-21 championship might uncover a few gems. Tonali for Italy could be worth keeping an eye on - huge talent.

Â