Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

I’ve always thought that we could do with a Gattuso type character in the team (showing my age) we’ve been quite soft in midfield for a while imo, better lately with recent transfers. If this guy can fill that role then I think it would be great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Phillips isn't the only DM in the world who could do a job. Definitely no to £20m, there will be someone else. 

If we start the season with someone better than him, we'll stay us comfortably. Looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Phillips isn't the only DM in the world who could do a job. Definitely no to £20m, there will be someone else. 

Since all we've know for the past few seasons is the championship I feel fans (and press a like) have a narrow view on signings. The Wesley signing should show that we're looking well beyond Championship level, little to no chance we spend £15m-£20m on Phillips IMO.

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

As much as I want us to sign Phillips I'm sure we could get an excellent player from abroad for £15m-£20m. For example, Ruben Neves cost Wolves £15m and he is outstanding.

You’re absolutely right. Most of us have very limited knowledge of players outside the top two divisions in England. However that’s not a problem, because we’re not the ones doing the scouting. We have/are developing a decent scouting network and recruitment team, that are working in a cohesive manner throughout the whole club. We won’t just be looking for next season, but for players that can come through over the next few years. 

We’re starting a little from scratch because of the clueless set ups we have operated under for too long. But hopefully we’re hitting the ground running and will be spreading the net wider and wider. It’s ok saying, £15m, £20m it’s all the same, but that’s not entirely true. Wasting money is always wasting money, regardless of how much you’ve got. These guys won’t be weak or penny pinching in the market, but they’ll not want to be mugged either. If you buy 4 players for £15m instead of £20m, then you basically you could sign a £20m player for free. And of course there’s still FFP to at least pay lip service to. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

As much as I want us to sign Phillips I'm sure we could get an excellent player from abroad for £15m-£20m. For example, Ruben Neves cost Wolves £15m and he is outstanding.

He was never worth £15m. He was worth about £35m the day they signed him. Can't compare Wolves' fees with anyone, they don't do normal transfers, just have agent who decides what players they get.

Said it in the transfer thread but if we start the season with someone better than Phillips and have him, McGinn and Grealish in midfield, we'll stay up comfortably.

• Like 1

Wolves got Neves cheap because Porto had a deadline to sell one of their players to raise money otherwise they would have been in trouble FFP wise, Mendes being involved in the deal probably helped as well of course. As it it happens I don't think he was that great for them in the Premier league, a steady performer but nowhere near as good as he was in the championship, you could probably say the same for Cairnery at Fulham, and probably Sessegnon to a degree as well, which just goes to show that you have to careful paying big money for championship players because not all of them make the step up.

My Leeds-supporting mate seems to think we've got no chance - reckons Bielsa will walk if they sell him.

I don't think this one will happen and, as others have stated, you'd like to think we could find someone playing abroad for cheaper.

I don't think it's a stretch to think we have enquired about him, but I think that's about as far as it's gone. I'd be happy if we signed him, mind you.

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

My Leeds-supporting mate seems to think we've got no chance - reckons Bielsa will walk if they sell him.

I don't think this one will happen and, as others have stated, you'd like to think we could find someone playing abroad for cheaper.

I don't think it's a stretch to think we have enquired about him, but I think that's about as far as it's gone. I'd be happy if we signed him, mind you.

I’ve heard otherwise by a pretty reliable source. 

They could accept 20 million.

• Like 1

They're close to selling Jack Clarke to Spurs for around £14m plus add ons, which will help them with the cost of running the club, and allow them to bring in some loans, whether Bielsa thinks that will be enough to see them challenge again next season we'll see, but probably does make it even less likely that they will be forced to sell Phillips.

Edited by useless

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think we are better waiting.  I think Leeds are goungvti have ffp problems very soon and we can get him for cheaper than that.

They're supposedly paying Bielsa £6m a year, so that alone is bound to cause them some problems.

5 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

They're supposedly paying Bielsa £6m a year, so that alone is bound to cause them some problems.

Net spend in of about £15m in total in the last 3 seasons combined.

Think they'll be fine even with his salary. Not that many players there on Villa level wages surely?

39 minutes ago, sne said:

Net spend in of about £15m in total in the last 3 seasons combined.

Think they'll be fine even with his salary. Not that many players there on Villa level wages surely?

They will have to offer their players higher wages if they want to prevent them leaving if villa bid 20m let's say and offer him 50k wages Leeds won't be able to match that in championship without the risk of ffp

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They will have to offer their players higher wages if they want to prevent them leaving if villa bid 20m let's say and offer him 50k wages Leeds won't be able to match that in championship without the risk of ffp

We had like 10 players on those kind of wages or much higher.

sure we had parachute money, but they can handle a few big contracts. 

Philips has 2 season left on his current contract and is playing for the club he supports. Doubt he will have unreasonable money claims even if he asks for a new contract.

Unless he switches to Raiola's agency. 

Edited by sne

Just now, sne said:

We had like 10 players on those kind of wages or much higher.

sure we had parachute money, but they can handle a few big contracts. 

Philips has 2 season left on his current contract and is playing for the club he supports. Doubt he will have unreasonable money claims even if he asks for a new contract.

Unless he switches to Raiola's agency. 

That's it we had parachute money. Leeds haven't ever had that luxury. We could blow Leeds out of the water now if we really wanted him.

Loads of players have left their clubs for money.  Look at yorke for us for example.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That's it we had parachute money. Leeds haven't ever had that luxury. We could blow Leeds out of the water now if we really wanted him.

Loads of players have left their clubs for money.  Look at yorke for us for example.

Not saying he can't or wont leave, just that they can afford to keep him and I doubt he'll go on strike to force a move.

Phillips is a Leeds lad, better comparison is Grealish who almost moved but ended up staying with the club he loves.

Phillips could still move but with Bielsa staying the chances are slightly lesser imo.

Then again I know nothing about him as a person so who knows...

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I think we are better waiting.  I think Leeds are goungvti have ffp problems very soon and we can get him for cheaper than that.

Thanks Daniel Levy ;) 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, sne said:

Not saying he can't or wont leave, just that they can afford to keep him and I doubt he'll go on strike to force a move.

Phillips is a Leeds lad, better comparison is Grealish who almost moved but ended up staying with the club he loves.

Phillips could still move but with Bielsa staying the chances are slightly lesser imo.

Then again I know nothing about him as a person so who knows...

True we don't know his character however I am sure the lure of pl football and bigger wages can definitely tempt him

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

So it was nothing to do with the fact one of the biggest club in the world wanted him? 

Â