Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

32 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s a vast upgrade on Connor and he’s younger too, the only downside is that he’s a bit of a thug. Smith has obviously seen that we need toughening up and is addressing that

Personally I think that's the only upside. 

He wants to stay at Leeds. Have to say I thought the talk of paying £20m was way over the top anyway, he's had one real standout season in the championship which some are putting down to the Bielsa affect, and is out of contract in a couple of years. Our only hope now is that Radrizzani has said that every summer they're going to have to sell an asset, but this summer it will probably be more likely Jack Clarke they sell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

I'm not sure about buying a championship player with one good season for so much money.

He didn't even appear to be that good.

Surely better elsewhere?

If McGinn had played for Leeds last season and played as well as he did for us, would you not sign him based on him having one good season in the championship?

He was class last season and is capable of the step up IMO, he has scope for improvement too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

I'm not sure about buying a championship player with one good season for so much money.

Surely better elsewhere?

If McGinn had played for Leeds last season and played as well as he did for us, would you not sign him based on him having one good season in the championship?

He was class last season and is capable of the step up IMO, he has scope for improvement too. 

• Like 1

We need a DM that can replace Whelan/Hourihane in the starting lineup and probably another midfielder too. I don't know much about this lad but he won't be the last player we are linked with this summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Surely better elsewhere?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Good argument.

But he could just as well be any of a list of one season wonders.

The point is its risky and for that money we could drastically reduce that risk elsewhere.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

From what I’ve seen which isn’t that much, he looks excellent, £14m is a lot of money for a Championship player and one that has never played in the Premier League. We are in desperate need of a DM and he fits the mould perfectly

How much did we buy Delph?  They were a division lower when we bought him from them.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why?

Because a nasty DMC is exactly what we need. I do however think  £ 14 million for a championship player is a lot of money and there probably is better alternatives in the leagues abroad. And if we are going to spend big on a DMC which is a relatively important position for our style of play, I'd imagine there are better players abroad we can be looking at. 

But I also think adding British players to the squad is a positive to some extent, so I'll add that as a another positive. 

Don't get me wrong, I thought Phillips were one of the really good Leeds players when we met them last season, but one swallow doesn't make a summer etc. This smacks of me like signing Hogan for big money. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

In terms of what we need and what he brings, I think this could be a good move.

However, I do have some reservations. Mainly that I think he'll be a walking red card in the Premier League. He plays on the line, and has no problems crossing it, he's incredibly aggressive which can be a good attribute, but can also very quickly become a bad one.

The price we will have to wait and see, £14m seems about right to me, but I think Leeds will be wanting quite a bit more.

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Because a nasty DMC is exactly what we need. I do however think  £ 14 million for a championship player is a lot of money and there probably is better alternatives in the leagues abroad. And if we are going to spend big on a DMC which is a relatively important position for our style of play, I'd imagine there are better players abroad we can be looking at. 

But I also think adding British players to the squad is a positive to some extent, so I'll add that as a another positive. 

I understand the bit about the price, but Maddison cost something like £25m, which now looks a bargain. I think Phillips would be excellent for us.

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I understand the bit about the price, but Maddison cost something like £25m, which now looks a bargain. I think Phillips would be excellent for us.

We could have had Maddison for £2.5mil from Coventry when he broke through there! Bargains be had all over UK & Europe under £3/4million. Some need be scouted, identified and bought to the Villa table for bargain fees with potential & scope  to improve tenfold.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

We could have had Maddison for £2.5mil from Coventry when he broke through there! Bargains be had all over UK & Europe under £3/4million. Some need be scouted, identified and bought to the Villa table for bargain fees with potential to improve tenfold.

True. It has to be a mix. Phillips is more likely to be a ready-made DM for the Premier League. We can't afford to take too many punts on £2-3m players. Let's just sign both. 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

True. It has to be a mix. Phillips is more likely to be a ready-made DM for the Premier League. We can't afford to take too many punts on £2-3m players. Let's just sign both. 🙂

No more Luna's, Tonev's Bowery's,  Sylla, Crespo or Daddy Cool  "Salifou"  or rubbish like that.. And i'd be very happy

M_AprL.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Don't get me wrong, I thought Phillips were one of the really good Leeds players when we met them last season, but one swallow doesn't make a summer etc. This smacks of me like signing Hogan for big money. 

I agree it’s what we need, we haven’t had a strong dcm for a long time. To be honest, I’m not overly familiar with the player (Phillips), I know he can play both dcm and cb but I do trust Smith with money, he has a proven track record (Smith)

• Like 2

Â