Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

19 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Lyon already gearing up to sue the French League for the decision to end the league early which has denied them a champions league place. Another reason that the premier league will try to finish the games at all costs. 

Yeah you can’t complete the season if you can’t play the games.....it’s the reason the PL will fail trying to go down that route.

52 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Lyon already gearing up to sue the French League for the decision to end the league early which has denied them a champions league place. Another reason that the premier league will try to finish the games at all costs. 

A lawsuit against a sports body that is complying with the instruction of its government, is unwise and likely to face public backlash against the football club behind it.

15 minutes ago, brommy said:

A lawsuit against a sports body that is complying with the instruction of its government, is unwise and likely to face public backlash against the football club behind it.

that's the problem, the government has told them to end the league, they haven't told them how

the champions league is a competition worth how many millions a year? so in terms of risk how much are you willing to invest chasing a lawsuit? lyon have been shit for most of the season, are 7th and are 9 points off the CL

how much would utd be willing to spend doing the same, how much villa, Norwich and Bournemouth be willing to spend chasing the £100m+ we would lose out on if the Pl relegated us? could you see villa pumping £20-50m in to a prolonged lawsuit, followed by appeals, followed by courts of arbitration, same as what man city's owner is threatening with UEFA, we're richer than you, we'll bankrupt you in fees in the courts before we accept your decision 

The moral of this story is to consult with your members and broker a deal they accept before issuing your decision from on high. 

Maybe this involves a possible European Contender getting more dosh which the guys who are given the spot are happy to relinquish because they've got the spot. 

These talks will almost certainly involve telling the people at the bottom they are OK. 

This is the way to avoid being sued. 

Edited by sidcow

39 minutes ago, brommy said:

The Government have not told them to deny anyone a league place. 

Once again this is why a total void of the season is a safer bet than an arbitrary decision on how things should be. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

that's the problem, the government has told them to end the league, they haven't told them how

the champions league is a competition worth how many millions a year? so in terms of risk how much are you willing to invest chasing a lawsuit? lyon have been shit for most of the season, are 7th and are 9 points off the CL

how much would utd be willing to spend doing the same, how much villa, Norwich and Bournemouth be willing to spend chasing the £100m+ we would lose out on if the Pl relegated us? could you see villa pumping £20-50m in to a prolonged lawsuit, followed by appeals, followed by courts of arbitration, same as what man city's owner is threatening with UEFA, we're richer than you, we'll bankrupt you in fees in the courts before we accept your decision 

I would anticipate Villa, Norwich and Bournemouth joining together on a single action. 

PL carry 100% of defence costs, we carry 1/3 of prosecution costs. 

But the whole thing is basically silly.  Just void the thing and go again. 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would anticipate Villa, Norwich and Bournemouth joining together on a single action. 

I'm guessing from a claim point of view because we are already in the league our defence of our position and non relegation is a lot stronger than Leeds / baggies potential claim of lack of promotion 

So from a legal cost point of view voiding is the cheapest option 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If you void it your only going to get league action from about 2-3 championship clubs and maybe liverpool. But you can use parachute money to compensate those championship clubs. 

It seems to me the less messiest option tbh. 

Ppg you get all kinds of unhappiness as its not a  fair and farnkly shit system

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If you void it your only going to get league action from about 2-3 championship clubs and maybe liverpool. But you can use parachute money to compensate those championship clubs. 

It seems to me the less messiest option tbh. 

Ppg you get all kinds of unhappiness as its not a  fair and farnkly shit system

I agree about Liverpool but if the Government make it basically impossible to complete the season I still don't think Championship clubs have a leg to stand on. The "contract" is frustrated, no conclusion can be reached so they have not achieved their objective. 

It's not nice but that's the way it is.  I think they would struggle to achieve succeed in legal action. 

But I would definitely like to see parachute money distributed down the leagues and I expect they would get the biggest hand out. 

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I think man utd will pull a lyon if the season is ended

They genuinely believe they can get 4th 

But Citeh are banned so Man U are in anyway? 

Can’t see on what grounds they could promote the 3rd place team ... that spot is done via a playoff and not automatic promotion 

promote the top 2 maybe and no relegation could work if they chose not to void

Just now, sidcow said:

The only argument is who wants to start next week for a potential Europa League place in 4 months time and I think most teams see that as more of a chore and will be willing to forgo that.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Like I said city's owner has stated he will bankrupt UEFA in the courts with a prolonged appeal process and I believe him 

Same with Sheffield utd moaning they have a chance of 5th and CL I'll believe it when I see it, City have more money than UEFA and they'll go to war 

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Can’t see on what grounds they could promote the 3rd place team ... that spot is done via a playoff and not automatic promotion 

promote the top 2 maybe and no relegation could work if they chose not to void

I can't see on what grounds they promote the top 2 to be fair. 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Like I said city's owner has stated he will bankrupt UEFA in the courts with a prolonged appeal process and I believe him 

Same with Sheffield utd moaning they have a chance of 5th and CL I'll believe it when I see it, City have more money than UEFA and they'll go to war 

That's UEFAs problem surely, not the Premier league. If UEFA want to cave in they give the PL 5 spaces. 

If they unilaterally void the season they'll have to pay back an enormous amount of TV money after not being able to fulfill their obligations, and it causes headaches with the idea that the season was pointless and denying a team they'd quite like to win the league a title and needing to put forward European teams and try to resolve relegation and all that jazz.

Theres effectively 2 answers to this - you finish the season at any cost, or you are forced not to. You can find various ways to finish the season - void the remaining games and have a short season, do PPG, somehow play the games. They are all problematic though - teams with something to play for are going to (rightly) sue the League to **** by effectively choosing to relegate them if you do a short season or PPG, if you play the games it opens up public safety problems and, frankly, it looks really bad when you've got a few people playing football when John and Jane can't go out.

If they are forced to end the season, they can point at the order and basically blame that and direct any and all lawyers letters to that order. It gives a get out from a lot of costs the League doesn't want.

The right thing to do is void it, no relegation, promote the automatic places, distribute the parachute payments down and go do a big season next year with 5 relegation places. But they aren't going to do that until they are put in the position where finishing the season isn't allowable. It basically isn't now, it just doesn't have the hard 'No' on it from a higher authority. And the government isn't go to go near doing that until they absolutely, beyond any doubt, have to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That's UEFAs problem surely, not the Premier league. If UEFA want to cave in they give the PL 5 spaces. 

Why? 

We still get 4 but it will be with the court of appeal or arbitration so if the PL / UEFA register the 5th place team instead of city and then city win the appeal they will be **** for millions, so many millions that the risk alone would put UEFA over a barrel meaning that ultimately they will back down and just issue a fine instead 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

If each team is in a league by invitation of that league, could the league refuse admission whilst any case against it is being decided?

You want to sue us? Fine, but whilst the lawsuit gets heard and then goes from appeal to appeal, taking a season or two in time, the league will continue without you. The league and it’s vast income will available to the other clubs but you’ll be stuck, haemorrhaging money to players who want to leave, with no teams to play and zero income.

The other elephant in the room of course is, well... There's not going to be a glorious morning in mid August where we all wake up and suddenly that pandemic thing is a distant memory. It's still going to be an issue then. It might not be quite at nobody goes out on pain of death bad but it's still going to be at 'gatherings of thousands of people in close proximity for no reason is not a good idea' levels.

• Like 1