Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

If they unilaterally void the season they'll have to pay back an enormous amount of TV money after not being able to fulfill their obligations, and it causes headaches with the idea that the season was pointless and denying a team they'd quite like to win the league a title and needing to put forward European teams and try to resolve relegation and all that jazz.

Theres effectively 2 answers to this - you finish the season at any cost, or you are forced not to. You can find various ways to finish the season - void the remaining games and have a short season, do PPG, somehow play the games. They are all problematic though - teams with something to play for are going to (rightly) sue the League to **** by effectively choosing to relegate them if you do a short season or PPG, if you play the games it opens up public safety problems and, frankly, it looks really bad when you've got a few people playing football when John and Jane can't go out.

If they are forced to end the season, they can point at the order and basically blame that and direct any and all lawyers letters to that order. It gives a get out from a lot of costs the League doesn't want.

The right thing to do is void it, no relegation, promote the automatic places, distribute the parachute payments down and go do a big season next year with 5 relegation places. But they aren't going to do that until they are put in the position where finishing the season isn't allowable. It basically isn't now, it just doesn't have the hard 'No' on it from a higher authority. And the government isn't go to go near doing that until they absolutely, beyond any doubt, have to.

Surely a lot of the TV money can be recouped by giving them more matches in future seasons, possibly even having 3pm Saturday kick offs as pay-per-view or something.  I suspect Sky and BT would like to stay in the PL's good books for when the next deal is up for grabs.  I agree with your last paragraph as the way to go, it's how the various stakeholders get protected the most imo.

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Think I read that Qatar has offered to host La Liga games, or at least Barcelona games.

But can't find it at a quick google so might have made that up :D 

Surely FIFA have made it impossible to play games in the middle east during the summer by saying it's too hot to play the World Cup there.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Surely FIFA have made it impossible to play games in the middle east during the summer by saying it's too hot to play the World Cup there.  

Good point that. 

Be interesting to see how they backtrack and contort themselves away from that.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Think I read that Qatar has offered to host La Liga games, or at least Barcelona games.

Javier Tebas is thinking this as we speak, maybe he can finally get them La Liga games in the US after all

• Like 2

Sky and BT Sports rely heavily on the Premier League to bring in customers  so it is in there interests to be reasonable in terms of demanding £££ refund.  With the rise of rivals like Amazon and the talk of a potential direct to market Netflix style channel they are in danger of losing one of the main draws if they try and screw the league over by being too unreasonable or demanding. If I was the premier league I would remind them that as much as sky has made football what it is today without football sky won’t be what it is today and will lose customers galore if and when they lose their grip on the rights.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Aaaannddd there we go, now the Arabs can have their Premier League wankfest.

Gary Neville proposing you play the games abroad and where the virus is under control........so Saudi Arabia then.

If this happens, irrespective of the extraordinary circumstances that’s game over for football.

1 hour ago, sne said:

These places are in no position to be hosting any kind of event right now.

The region is currently going through the peak rate of infection, and degrees of lockdown.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Aaaannddd there we go, now the Arabs can have their Premier League wankfest.

Gary Neville proposing you play the games abroad and where the virus is under control........so Saudi Arabia then.

If this happens, irrespective of the extraordinary circumstances that’s game over for football.

funny he was saying the other day how it should not be restarted.

reckon shortly afterwards he got a call from his bosses at sky along the lines of "we're working on a festival of football to be played in Qatar here gary...need you to talk up the idea"

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

but there's no tv money in the world cup.........

• Like 1

All this different scenarios are ridiculous, either finish the season if it's safe to do so, or cancel it and freeze the tables with no relegation or promotion, as you can't be promoting or relegating teams when everything is so close and there are still 27 points to play for, or 30 points for some teams. I say cancel rather than null and void because I think it would be the sporting thing to do to award Liverpool the title such is their commanding lead and the inevitability that they were going to win it anyway.

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

but there's no tv money in the world cup.........

Although being a non profit organization, in 2018 FIFA generated $4.6 billion in revenue, mostly due to the 2018 WC. Roughly $2.6 billion of that came through TV revenue.

Just now, sne said:

Although being a non profit organization, in 2018 FIFA generated $4.6 billion in revenue, mostly due to the 2018 WC. Roughly $2.6 billion of that came through TV revenue.

wow...had no idea

I don't think anything will come of this meeting today other than some sort of statement saying that their preference is still to finish the league and they working hard on a plan to make sure it happens.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

There is no right way in this situation. 

What I meant was if we get handed safety as opposed to fighting for it......we will never know our true measure.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Prem clubs have been buying testing machines - so looks likely that is where we are headed now. 

I'm mean, those things will be needed next season as well.

And likely the season after that too.

• Like 2

@Jareth

You know a Doctor was saying yesterday though that testing in the morning and afternoon could result in two different outcomes. 

So much testing would need to be done, can lower league clubs afford to buy hundreds of kits?

This is just the PL thinking of themselves again over smaller, lower league clubs and the general population who need a test more than Mr. Footballer! 

FFS.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Prem clubs have been buying testing machines - so looks likely that is where we are headed now. 

Where are they getting those from? Sounds unlikely to me.