Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The other elephant in the room of course is, well... There's not going to be a glorious morning in mid August where we all wake up and suddenly that pandemic thing is a distant memory. It's still going to be an issue then. It might not be quite at nobody goes out on pain of death bad but it's still going to be at 'gatherings of thousands of people in close proximity for no reason is not a good idea' levels.

I'd expect at least the first of half of next season, if not the entire season to be behind closed doors.

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd expect at least the first of half of next season, if not the entire season to be behind closed doors.

Surely that would see every club in league 1 and below go bump? 

Edited by bannedfromHandV

Ban all football until it’s over, let the top flight players be a bit fat and over-boozed. Like the good old days. Let clubs go bust and start again earning money through gate receipts, bar scarves, warm beer and pies. 

• Like 4

So we wait with baited breath for the outcome of the meeting between Government & the Premier League today. Frankly i find it quite disgraceful that they are even considering trying to play and are willing to put players & their families lives at risk with the pathetic "play at any costs" ideas they will be trying to force through. If games go ahead under those conditions they are proposing i for one will be totally unable to respect them whatever the outcome as there are so many ridiculous things which will 100% mean the results are not a true & fair reflection of those fixtures.

The thing is you just know the Government will back it anyhow as they clearly lack the backbone to put their foot down and state their must be no large events or gatherings until "x".  I actually think the government want everyone to catch the virus in all honesty so they can reach that "herd immunity" target they so desperately crave no doubt to get the economy going again. Or in other words it's fine for us to die so long as not too many of us do it at the same time so we clog up the hospitals.

How come the clubs are actually going along with this nonsense anyhow if it's putting their assets at risk?

• Like 3

A taxi driver said to me yesterday that the football season has to be completed because of the money involved. I asked how they do that and he said that all games should be behind closed doors with every single person involved tested before and after games and training etc. 

So, all involved in football get the life tested out of them. These fit, mostly well-off people can get tested so they can do their non-essential jobs whilst Joe Bloggs has a nasty cough, takes time off work on SSP and can't get a test done. Doesn't seem fair. 

I know the government are now opening up tests to everyone but if everyone coughing and showing signs of illness wanted a test they wouldn't have enough. 

• Like 1

I should add that the same driver claimed to be a Villa fanatic and said he had dropped a couple of players off (wouldn't name them) at Bodymoor Heath recently and said that when he asked about the possibility of Grealish leaving they were both of the opinion it wouldn't be a bad thing because he's a see you next Tuesday. 

I found it a bit hard to believe that pro players wouldn't drive themselves to their training centre, assuming it's even open. 

• Like 1

The daily mail now reporting the possibility of a 23 team premier leage next season with domestic cup competitions scrapped to allow for the extra games.

Edited by useless

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

The other elephant in the room of course is, well... There's not going to be a glorious morning in mid August where we all wake up and suddenly that pandemic thing is a distant memory. It's still going to be an issue then. It might not be quite at nobody goes out on pain of death bad but it's still going to be at 'gatherings of thousands of people in close proximity for no reason is not a good idea' levels.

Exactly! Finishing the last 9 or 10 games of this season is a problem so how on earth do they plan for the next season of 38 games? If there's no vaccine in place, who knows what will happen with this virus when we get to November/December time. That's why I wouldn't bother finishing this season and use a handicap system to go into the next full season. 

Lockdown rules are obviously going to ease over the next few weeks.  Various white papers about return to work to be issued next week. 

By say August I think they will relax the rules enough for 22 men to rub up against each other so football should be able to resume along with certain video production companies. 

No way will crowds be allowed though. 

But these relaxation rules will not come in in time to allow this season to complete without significantly impacting next season. 

Allowing under 23 squads to enter Cup competitions makes sense to keep those competitions running without impacting first team availability.   You could have 2 teams playing concurrently. 

Would free up those FA Cup weekends for league games plus a number of midweek slots. 

Let's face is, that's what most PL teams and even top of the table Championship teams want to do anyway. 

Edited by sidcow

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I should add that the same driver claimed to be a Villa fanatic and said he had dropped a couple of players off (wouldn't name them) at Bodymoor Heath recently and said that when he asked about the possibility of Grealish leaving they were both of the opinion it wouldn't be a bad thing because he's a see you next Tuesday. 

I found it a bit hard to believe that pro players wouldn't drive themselves to their training centre, assuming it's even open. 

off topic but nail on head

1) BH is not open

2) they would drive themselves (or have a driver) anyone who has visited BH ever seen players arrive/leave via taxi? nah, didnt think so

3) if jack is indeed a word removed, the players wouldn't tell dave the cabbie that

stinks of a nose trying to stir to me...which also explains why he's so desperate for us to complete the season when every other villa fan would love it voided!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Sounds like the driver is having you on

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Lockdown rules are obviously going to ease over the next few weeks.  Various white papers about return to work to be issued next week. 

By say August I think they will relax the rules enough for 22 men to rub up against each other so football should be able to resume along with certain video production companies. 

No way will crowds be allowed though. 

But these relaxation rules will not come in in time to allow this season to complete without significantly impacting next season. 

Allowing under 23 squads to enter Cup competitions makes sense to keep those competitions running without impacting first team availability.   You could have 2 teams playing concurrently. 

Would free up those FA Cup weekends for league games plus a number of midweek slots. 

Let's face is, that's what most PL teams and even top of the table Championship teams want to do anyway. 

Ease is the key term, we are only still on the start of the downward curve.  Even listening to Boris and other closes sources it would suggest that this easing is likely not to be as quick as people think.  Office workers probably still wont be in some form of lockdown until probably (i estimate) 1st week of June, while the easing of shops and such like might gradually be opened with strict social distancing measures.  Not sure how it would work for restaurants and the like, could they function on just having a quarter or less of their tables available...would seem unlikely given the overheads.

They are really concerned about the R only being just below 1, and any trigger could see a second wave.  The economy is vital but a second wave could be more crushing to the economy.  I think the easing measures will be very slight and gradual when they announce.  It will be more about perception and trying to look like they are re-opening without truly reopening materially.  It will probably sound like the American version which is phases and milestones you have to hit before things open and while sounding achievable is still not a week or two away.  Just under half of the American states just ignored those guidelines and are opening anyway more quickly, which I'm not sure is a great idea but I guess we'll see if they have spikes.

The next month or two is key, get it wrong and we are in trouble...

Intresting on the football show on Sky Sports this morning that it will only take 1 club to not agree on neutral venues/not want to play etc and that would be enough but they go on to say theres a group of clubs who are against it and all round the bottom of table.Also if Sky/BT agree something about money it will make decision easier but if not it would be money over health.

I think having Purslow on our side will prove a massive thing.

Edited by midian

Well this is good at least, will also help when the inevitable lawsuits starts coming when players starts to get sick and have their careers shortened after being rushed back before it was safe.

Premier League stars with coronavirus symptoms to have lung and heart tests before return

Premier League players who have suffered COVID-19 symptoms will undergo additional testing for potential lung and heart problems as part of the return-to-play protocol.

Top-flight teams will discuss on Friday the detailed proposals to allow a “phased return” to small group sessions and then normal squad training before a proposed June restart.

The new rules include players needing to wear face masks or snoods in training and all footballs to be disinfected.

But before this “Training Return Date”, all clubs must undertake a risk assessment of every player “for potential respiratory and/or cardiac complications associated with COVID-19”.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-stars-coronavirus-symptoms-21955256

If they were to keep the league as it is, and relegate us, it would be chaos. Yes we could have lost to Sheff Utd, but we could've also fluked a jammy 1-0 win with VAR working in our favour. The point is that we didn't play that game because we were busy putting in a decent performance in the Cup Final, which is supposed to be a positive, yet somehow we'd be punished for that.

3 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Hmmm.. Did you see the colour of the taxi drivers nose? 

• Like 1

Aaaannddd there we go, now the Arabs can have their Premier League wankfest.

Gary Neville proposing you play the games abroad and where the virus is under control........so Saudi Arabia then.

If this happens, irrespective of the extraordinary circumstances that’s game over for football.

• Like 2

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Aaaannddd there we go, now the Arabs can have their Premier League wankfest.

Gary Neville proposing you play the games abroad and where the virus is under control........so Saudi Arabia then.

If this happens, irrespective of the extraordinary circumstances that’s game over for football.

Think I read that Qatar has offered to host La Liga games, or at least Barcelona games.

But can't find it at a quick google so might have made that up :D 

Dont think it will go abroad,Matt Lawton said if 1 team said no it wouldnt happen and he said theres a group of teams around the bottom who will say no to neutral venues.