Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

They have to have a “plan” so when they realise they cant carry on they can say well at least we tried.If lockdown is continued to June noway football will continue,even Germany have pushed back a week after a small spike in cases this week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They are testing all the players in the Bundesliga now and expect to continue the season in May behind closed doors.

Doubt that will happen, since some of the lockdown restrictions have been lifted there they have seen a rise in cases, they are now looking to lockdown again till June 

6 minutes ago, midian said:

They have to have a “plan” so when they realise they cant carry on they can say well at least we tried.If lockdown is continued to June noway football will continue,even Germany have pushed back a week after a small spike in cases this week.

All the other major countries leagues have actually made a plan for the government to look at except the Premier League

If it's looking like not returning until next year then just resume fixtures as normal from March 2021 a year late with crowds etc.  No 20/21 season then straight into the Euros.

Maybe have a brief transfer window just before.

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

Paul,Football is totally insignificant in comparison.

but for us in Lockdown, doing as we have been asked, we have to find some form of entertainment.

Yes I 100% agree with you. 

It's Bristol Rovers captain Alex Rodman apparently he's some sort of players union rep and that's him addressing the Bristol Rovers team. Local news in Bristol reporting that Rovers are launching an investigation in to how it leaked, so would seem that it's definitely him rather than hoax, that doesn't mean to say what he says is correct though of course.

Edited by useless

45 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Doubt that will happen, since some of the lockdown restrictions have been lifted there they have seen a rise in cases, they are now looking to lockdown again till June 

But there’s been more relaxing of measures in Germany today with zoos amongst other things opening 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Mayor of Liverpool has called football returning a non starter because crowds will gather around Anfield. No surprise he has received abuse online for his opinion

Bizarrely he's actually said that Liverpool should be awarded the title anyway, so evidently Liverpool fans also don't read beyond the headline.

15 minutes ago, useless said:

It's Bristol Rovers captain Alex Rodman apparently he's some sort of players union rep and that's him addressing the Bristol Rovers team. Local news in Bristol reporting that Rovers are launching an investigation in to how it leaked, so would seem that it's definitely him rather than hoax, that doesn't mean to say what he says is correct though of course.

I don't see why he would say something as detailed as that, as a players union rep to his fellow members, if it wasn't as far as he knew correct. Now it's been leaked though, some things might well be amended I guess.

It seems to make a bit of sense, so I can see why we would have cause to doubt it, given the way the PL & EFL have acted so far. ;)    

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Only thing I find strange about it is the three teams being promoted, which would mean a 23 team premier league next season, meaning each week one club wouldn't have a game.

There’ll be more midweek games though so I expect each team will play either once or twice a week regardless. I quite like the idea of a bigger PL. I liked the more frequent games in the championship (although it did help that we did occasionally win games).

but how does it work in the long run? 6 teams go down and 3 come up?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Only thing I find strange about it is the three teams being promoted, which would mean a 23 team premier league next season, meaning each week one club wouldn't have a game.

works in the NFL...every week a team has a bye week

Edit: actually wouldnt work here as we have a league format so 1 team wont play the final week of the season where all teams are required to play at the same time

Edited by tomav84

23 minutes ago, useless said:

Unfair as it would be I think they'd be forced to do a 2 up rather than 3. (if they intend to not relegate any teams)

Every solution will be unfair in some ways but 2 up and no relegation is one of the least unfair options maybe.

Don't think they will opt to having a league with a uneven number of teams.

Edited by sne

Tbh I think this is actually just getting ridiculous. Just cancel the leagues and then football can go on as normal once this is over rather than having these massive knock-on effects for years. It’d never happen but the PL ought to throw some cash down to the lower leagues as well to steady the ship. 

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 2

France ligue 1 has relegated the bottom 2.... but not third from bottom. Have I misunderstood how that league works?

Edit - oh yeah - only 2 teams come up....

We are screwed if we do the same

Edited by Jareth

I think the three up and then six down next season is fine because at least the teams have it in their own hands and you still have to be one of the best 17 teams to stay up as usual so you have no complaints if you are one of the bottom six teams.

The key though is for teams to have it in own hands, which if relegating teams based on the current table is not in the teams hands.....again referring to weighting of fixture list so far and additional us having a game in hand.

• Like 2