Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

A 23 team league would make it really tight to get all the games in before the Euros. 

If we kick off in mid August and finish at the end of the first week in May, that's 38 weeks for 44 games - with the European games and the two domestic cups, that means two games a week for pretty much all of those weeks for the bigger clubs.

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A 23 team league would make it really tight to get all the games in before the Euros. 

If we kick off in mid August and finish at the end of the first week in May, that's 38 weeks for 44 games - with the European games and the two domestic cups, that means two games a week for pretty much all of those weeks for the bigger clubs.

Having an odd number of teams means you always have a team not playing.  Depending on your viewpoint that's either a waste of time in a tight schedule or a needed rest.  I'd be surprised if they promote the third placed team tbh.  Having 6 go down next season seems too many, 4 isn't so bad and they did that once back in the 90s.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I can see both sides....sure the fans are nervous....but if we don't do it the right way, we will be here next year, is my point.

but I can also see the otherside of the lockdown......and I want us to show more fight to move away from the quicksand.

There is no right way in this situation. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

FFS just 1 win against Bournemouth or against a 10 man Arsenal would take us to safety.

We really got ourselves to blame.

Game in hand yeah, but we're not beating the Blades, no way. They'll bully us.

Worse. 

I said to my son on the way home from Crystal Palace "you mark my words, we'll be relegated by 1 point" 

If they go by the average points per game system that extra point would see us ahead. 😡😡🤬

• Sad 1

The thing of promoting all the teams in the promotion places whilst cancelling all relegation probably leaves the least amount of unhappy clubs, those near the bottom don't unfairly get relegated, and those at the top still get their titles, teams in midtable won't be bothered either way. Teams like Forest and Brentford in the championship might not like it too much but at least with Leeds, Albion and Fulham gone, and no teams coming  down from the premier league they'd be in a strong position to challenge for promotion next season.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

All the other major countries leagues have actually made a plan for the government to look at except the Premier League

I'm pretty sure there were reports a few days ago about football reps meeting the government to plan a way forwards. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, useless said:

The thing of promoting all the teams in the promotion places whilst cancelling all relegation probably leaves the least amount of unhappy clubs, those near the bottom don't unfairly get relegated, and those at the top still get their titles, teams in midtable won't be bothered either way. Teams like Forest and Brentford in the championship might not like it too much but at least with Leeds, Albion and Fulham gone, and no teams coming  down from the premier league they'd be in a strong position to challenge for promotion next season.

Yeah, if those 3 went and no one came down I would be super confident of getting promoted the next year if I was them, it's actually a good opportunity for someone who would realistically find it extremely difficult to get promoted in a normal season to have a path cleared for them. 

Forest could go for years without overcoming the 3 relegated teams plus whoever has had a good season that year. 

• Like 1

Understandable IMO

'Players are scared... they have family, children, babies, parents': Sergio Aguero voices his concerns over the return of the Premier League as clubs aim for return to training date of May 11 while the coronavirus crisis continues

Sergio Aguero has become the most high-profile footballer to raise misgivings over the Premier League's potential hastened return.

The Manchester City striker admitted health concerns are at the forefront of minds among squads set to restart training next month despite the death toll from coronavirus staying high.

'The majority of players are scared because they have family, they have children, they have babies, parents,' he said.

'When we go back, I imagine that we will be very tense, we will be very careful, and the moment someone feels ill, you will think: "What's gone on there?" I hope there is a vaccine so all this ends.

'It does scare me but I have just been here with my girlfriend. I haven't had contact with other people.

'They say that there are people who have it but who don't have symptoms and they can infect you. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8274469/Manchester-City-star-Sergio-Aguero-says-players-scared-return-Premier-League.html

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I suspect one or both of the cups will be dropped if need be, to free up time for the league games

3 hours ago, useless said:

Only thing I find strange about it is the three teams being promoted, which would mean a 23 team premier league next season, meaning each week one club wouldn't have a game.

Not to mention an odd number in the championship too, not going to happen.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If it really is going to be a 23 team league I guess a worst case scenario is it will be a 20-22 season league e.g. two month stoppage between November-January then summer break for euros and you just continue the season afterwards. That's if it even starts on time in middle of August which appears unlikely to me if June looks more distant now.

Let's not forget we're just over two years away from a November world cup so the 22-23 season was already going to be massively disrupted but now could work as an advantage.

Probably 23-24 until we get a "normal" season again.

I'm not sure why odd team numbers is such a stumbling block.  Just have one blank set of midweek game round. There will be a ton of them.

I suspect Prem teams join the FA cup and League Cup in later rounds.  

If that was the case (3 promoted no relegations) i would be delighted & it's kind of what i've been pushing for all along. It makes so much sense. Thinking of peoples well  being above anything else it is the best way. Reward but don't punish. Spark joy not upset, disgust & sadness at this time as it's the last thing people need with everything else going on.

As a side note it also give the Premier League some ammo for renegotiating deals with TV companies & other sponsors too. More fixtures, most exciting Premier League ever and a great way to re-launch everything when safe to do so with no real victims. I actually think they should do this even if the games are played behind closed doors. Play them just to decide who gets promoted as lets be honest with all the measures in place they are not really a true reflection of the games anyway so i still think it's unwise to relegate/punish teams who have been forced to play under such ridiculous circumstances.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

There wouldn't be an odd number of teams in the championship, because they'd lose three teams to the premier league, but gain another three teams from league one, and league one in their turn would lose three teams to the championship and gain another three from league two, and so on.

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Bizarrely he's actually said that Liverpool should be awarded the title anyway, so evidently Liverpool fans also don't read beyond the headline.

In another exciting twist, Liverpool themselves have come out swinging against the mayor. Saying is no evidence that fans will turn up at Anfield to celebrate

If this is the case and it happens they should strip them off the title ;) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In another exciting twist, Liverpool themselves have come out swinging against the mayor. Saying is no evidence that fans will turn up at Anfield to celebrate

If this is the case and it happens they should strip them off the title ;) 

How dare he say we shouldn't win the title!

He didn't. He said they should win the title.

...How dare he say we shouldn't win the title!

• Like 1

Lyon already gearing up to sue the French League for the decision to end the league early which has denied them a champions league place. Another reason that the premier league will try to finish the games at all costs.