Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

A player doesn't have to die from covid-19 for there to be the possibility of court proceedings, they could catch it survive but have enough damage done to their respiratory system that it's no longer possible for them to play and they miss out on future earnings. Presently It's a wonder that they don't refuse to play regardless of what the premier league or government says.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Let’s be honest footballers are super fit and have great immune systems and all of them who have got it so far have recovered very quickly. There’s a theory that Boris Johnson got it bad and Matt Hancock didn’t because one is overweight the other isn’t 

How about their families and the people who will work around the games to make them happen?

Just now, sne said:

How about their families and the people who will work around the games to make them happen?

Yes I know but I was responding to the possibility of footballers dying of even getting serious conditions. It’s very minimal 

Just now, PaulC said:

Yes I know but I was responding to the possibility of footballers dying of even getting serious conditions. It’s very minimal 

Sure they have better chances of battling the virus than most, but serious effects to the lungs are still very possible. 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure they have better chances of battling the virus than most, but serious effects to the lungs are still very possible. 

Anyway prob less chance of then catching it with all the testing done than me going to the supermarket 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

72 year old Roy Hodgson will be at high risk as well, even Bruce at 60 doesn't seem to have a great diet could be another at risk if caught it. 

I once remember Graham Taylor missing a villa match to attend his daughters wedding. Roy doesn’t have to be there 

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Anyway prob less chance of then catching it with all the testing done than me going to the supermarket 

Sure, as long as they are kept isolated from their families and everyone else. Or if their families and the people around them are also tested regularly. 

Officials, hotel workers, the people delivering food, the medical staff around games and so on and so on. Even without fans the PL is a huge machine with tons of people involved.

It's not just about the players, there will be other people involved who might be less healthy. And then whilst there might not be any crowds, it's not hard to imagine that groups of fans would get together to watch the football in private. Season will probably be cancelled (not voided) and for us it will just be a question of what they decide to do with the bottom three.

2 hours ago, Nabby said:

French league giving PSG the title rest of standings to be used to complete season .

I heard a French football reporter on TalkSport yesterday, and it’s in the French football rules that if this type of thing occurs then you award places as the table stands when football ceased playing. I think I’m right in saying that isn’t the case as we currently stand in this country, and so I don’t think we should get too carried away thinking that’ll set a precedent for us to be relegated. It’s also worth noting that the only clubs to have played a game less in Ligue 1 are PSG & Strasbourg, and neither of those teams winning a game in hand would alter the current league table significantly at all. Very, very different to the situation in English football. There is much more finance at stake in the English game. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

If the season can’t finish then we should go the french way. Relegate the bottom 2 and promote Leeds and West Brom. 

Er but we're second bottom and have played a game less than all but one team and pretty much the least number of home games. How's that fair?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

We’re going to be relegated for getting to a cup final very hard to swollow 

Or based on our how shit we were playing we’d have lost to Sheffield United and we wouldn’t even have the game on hand argument.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Or based on our how shit we were playing we’d have lost to Sheffield United and we wouldn’t even have the game on hand argument.

We played quite well in the final, so if that form of the day would have been used to play Sheffield, I'm not so sure you are right. (we played shit since that game though)

8th June would mean that with maybe 35 days for the league season, you'd have the season finished for 13th July.

In order for the Euros to start on 11th June 2021, you'd want the domestic season finished by around the 7th May to allow for cup finals and warm up friendlies - so if you lose the winter break, you can start in mid-August at the regular sort of time and make up that lost week.

That leaves a month for any sort of break and a pre-season - with players then getting maybe two weeks off before the Euro's - in practice, you'd be looking at international players getting three weeks off between 8th June 2020 and the start of July 2021. 

Jurgen will be having kittens at that schedule - anyone that thinks he won't be sending his players back home the second the title is won is dreaming.

It's getting close to a last chance saloon date - if they have to delay another two weeks from there, it'll be impossible to fit in.

8 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Er but we're second bottom and have played a game less than all but one team and pretty much the least number of home games. How's that fair?

Oh sorry haven’t looked at table in so long thought we were third from bottom. We are a bit screwed then 

• Haha 1