Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

13 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

So let's say we get to a point in June where football can resume but it's in everyone's interest to wrap it up as soon as possible. This could be done in a week to decide promotion and relegation in a form of play-offs, pitting the top 3 of the Championship against the bottom 3 of the Premier League. But how do you decide who those teams will be?

Starting with the Premier League, as Villa have played one game less it would only be fair to look at where an extra 3pts would elevate us. That would be above Watford, in turn dropping them into the relegation zone. So, Watford vs Villa would decide who ends up in the drop zone (a draw would keep Watford up recognizing their 2pt advantage) and the bottom 3 would be decided. 

In the Championship, 3rd would play 6th and 4th would play 5th as in a normal play-off scenario with the winners meeting each other to decide on 3rd spot. The difference being that the semis would be single games.

Then top of Championship would play bottom of Premier League and so on and so forth in one off games, winner takes all.

Why? 

13 hours ago, Jareth said:

They should decide it all on percentage of squad with cool facial hair. 

But there is no such thing as cool facial hair? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

So you would prefer them to get sick because they get more money than others? They are not a special case either, they are still human beings. Nobody is saying Daniel Craig should be still filming James Bond because he gets a lot of money. Its pretty disgusting attitude if honest

Thanks, Ive been waiting for someone to post the response I wish I could write. Id get in trouble for my response..... 

7 hours ago, villaluke said:

i think all teams that get to the league cup final should be in the champions league 😀

Well why the hell not? It's no more batshit crazy then half the suggestions for deciding relegation. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, PaulC said:

That’s fair enough but footballers in the Premier League are a special case because they are being paid very well and when they say they don’t want to do anything for it it does rankle. 

On the news today a man had invested his life savings in a cafe which he hasn’t been able to open. He would love to have the chance to save his business. 

I just do not have empathy for footballers 

Fair enough, I do have empathy in this situation because on the whole or the majority I have to believe they aren’t saying it because they don’t want to play to be lazy.  Just like any high paid people from footballers, CEO’s, traders to minimum wage earners we are all human.  

Footballers are paid to play footballer, yes they are paid very well but they aren’t paid to risk their life (might be extreme but you understand my point).  I had tickets to see Jimmy Carr last week but that got deferred to later in the year.  I have tickets to see Evanescence later this week but that has been deferred to later in the year.  They all earn huge money but nobody is claiming they should perform now.  Yes those still have perform later in the year to earn the same money whereas footballers get paid whatever but footballers aren’t asking not to play all the games, they are just asking not play now (or next couple of months).  It’s the money grabbers PL that want the money now and thus games now.

• Like 3

Le Parisien are apparently reporting that senior French government officials are engaged in a lobbying effort with their partners in Germany, Italy, Spain and England so that none of the other top five leagues’ 2019/20 seasons restart.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

.  It’s the money grabbers PL that want the money now and thus games now.

The PL are just the clubs aren’t they and they want the money so they can pay the players wages 

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The PL are just the clubs aren’t they and they want the money so they can pay the players wages 

Yes those very rich PL clubs...who are thinking of money over health....or at least bottling ending the season hoping the government give them cover to end the season.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yes those very rich PL clubs...who are thinking of money over health....or at least bottling ending the season hoping the government give them cover to end the season.

True but wage bills are astronomical. Didn’t city agree a 840 mil shirt deal. What happens if no football. Yes it’s greed but its mostly passed onto the players isn’t it. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

a luxury life wont stop a premier league football possibly infecting his wife and kids

Aren't they going to be staying in quarantine for the matches anyway so wouldn't be interacting with family for about a month.

Mind you that's probably a non-starter as surely you'd have to apply the same for 20-21 season or at least until things become safer and that could be many months.

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

True but wage bills are astronomical. Didn’t city agree a 840 mil shirt deal. What happens if no football. Yes it’s greed but its mostly passed onto the players isn’t it. 

But what’s your point? Players should play now? If that’s your point, your choice, I just don’t agree.  I doubt clubs will end up paying much back to their income streams because it’ll look bad on those companies and for example Villa players have taken 25% off their wages so everybody gets a little hit.

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But what’s your point? Players should play now? If that’s your point, your choice, I just don’t agree.  I doubt clubs will end up paying much back to their income streams because it’ll look bad on those companies and for example Villa players have taken 25% off their wages so everybody gets a little hit.

Not now but if the govt give the green light to restart the season yes. 

1 hour ago, useless said:

Le Parisien are apparently reporting that senior French government officials are engaged in a lobbying effort with their partners in Germany, Italy, Spain and England so that none of the other top five leagues’ 2019/20 seasons restart.

So you are telling me that England will follow France's advice? 

Since when has that happened. We couldn't even decide on how to spell Concorde.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saw this list of requirements quoted from the mirror newspaper's website for all clubs going back to training...

'All footballs, GPS units, cones, corner flags, goalposts and other equipment to be disinfected before and after use by staff wearing PPE
Players to wear snood/masks at all times
Cars to be parked three spaces apart
No massages unless approved by club doctor
Fluids to be left at designated pick-up points
Only visit training block to use toilet
Initially only five players per training group
Players to be given designated time slots and 15 minutes to prepare
75 minutes of small group training
15 minutes recovery
Players and staff will be banned from spitting at the Training Ground'

Surely if you have to bother with all that then it should tell you that probably shouldn't trying to play football, if it was okay to play you wouldn't be having to take all those precautions, and that's not even taking into consideration all the matchday restrictions... Germany apparently going to make an announcement on their season later today so should be interesting what comes of that.

• Like 2

Cancel last season and start the new, whenever that happens, with a handicap system. That way, the teams at the bottom will be at a disadvantage but still with hope of survival and those at the top will have an advantage but not home and dry etc etc. 

Just now, useless said:

Saw this list of requirements quoted from the mirror newspaper's website for all clubs going back to training...

'All footballs, GPS units, cones, corner flags, goalposts and other equipment to be disinfected before and after use by staff wearing PPE
Players to wear snood/masks at all times
Cars to be parked three spaces apart
No massages unless approved by club doctor
Fluids to be left at designated pick-up points
Only visit training block to use toilet
Initially only five players per training group
Players to be given designated time slots and 15 minutes to prepare
75 minutes of small group training
15 minutes recovery
Players and staff will be banned from spitting at the Training Ground'

Surely if you have to bother with all that then it should tell you that probably shouldn't trying to play football, if it was okay to play you wouldn't be having to take all those precautions, and that's not even taking into consideration all the matchday restrictions... Germany apparently going to make an announcement on their season later today so should be interesting what comes of that.

No spitting makes absolute sense but they also need to ensure they stop blowing their noses all over the pitch too. 

Having said that, what about sweating? They can't stop that. What if a player gets injured and sheds blood onto the pitch? Will they have to stop the games whilst the groundstaff in PPE rush onto the pitch to replace the patch of grass? 

What about touching the ball with sweaty hands? Will all the players have to wear gloves? 

Can the defenders not pull shirts any longer? 

It's ridiculous to play a contact sport when the rest of society can't even hug their loved ones. 

• Like 2

Those rules are just for training, for the actual match day there will have different ones and more of them, and there will be the question of isloting all the players and the rest of the staff and getting them to and from the matches safely.

Football absolutely shouldn’t be going ahead. Taking away my Villa specs for a second.. it would make a mockery of social distancing, games behind closed doors still need staff - why is this “essential”? It’s entertainment only. Not to mention the idiots that would gather outside the stadium in a group to see the team coach come in etc. Personally I’ve lost interest anyway so I won’t be really into it when it eventually comes back either.