Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

15 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Football absolutely shouldn’t be going ahead. Taking away my Villa specs for a second.. it would make a mockery of social distancing, games behind closed doors still need staff - why is this “essential”? It’s entertainment only. Not to mention the idiots that would gather outside the stadium in a group to see the team coach come in etc. Personally I’ve lost interest anyway so I won’t be really into it when it eventually comes back either. 

I 100% agree with all you say mate.I also say if football goes ahead what message does it send out to the public surely if football starts people will think well if they can play so can we and turn up at parks and play football with friends etc

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Football absolutely shouldn’t be going ahead. Taking away my Villa specs for a second.. it would make a mockery of social distancing, games behind closed doors still need staff - why is this “essential”? It’s entertainment only. Not to mention the idiots that would gather outside the stadium in a group to see the team coach come in etc. Personally I’ve lost interest anyway so I won’t be really into it when it eventually comes back either. 

Doesn't have to go ahead. But that doesn't mean we have to cancel it.

Just postpone it for however long it takes.

The talk of clubs having to pay back tv money is an interesting one if you compare it to your season ticket.  Are we expecting a refund on 6 home games?

Personally I have written that money off as one of those things but I am not a business.

Now tv companies might still be able to broadcast BCD games but the fans will not be allowed to attend.

My stance would change if this happens.  Void the season or wait until the fans can attend is the only way I will be OK about the money I invested.

41 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Doesn't have to go ahead. But that doesn't mean we have to cancel it.

Just postpone it for however long it takes.

But that’s going to impact next season then.  If we cancel next season then I’m all for it because it means we can resume this season at a reasonable date and complete in a reasonable time frame.  

If a full next season then it’s just doesn’t make sense as the Euros are next year so players will be cramming the rest of this season, next season, euros and the following season together, which is no good for the players and that’s if you can cram it all in.  

Still think football won’t be starting any time soon and thus means next season would be a delayed start and we’ve already seen there is no spare time available in a season.

As we have all discussed it just comes down to money.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, John said:

You've had a decent stab at it and it will satisfy some, but it still won't satisfy everyone. For example, whilst I agree that the season should be voided, can't you find some way of getting us into those CL qualifiers? 😀

Once the season is voided we would be qualified through alphabetical order. :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

The talk of clubs having to pay back tv money is an interesting one if you compare it to your season ticket.  Are we expecting a refund on 6 home games?

Personally I have written that money off as one of those things but I am not a business.

Now tv companies might still be able to broadcast BCD games but the fans will not be allowed to attend.

My stance would change if this happens.  Void the season or wait until the fans can attend is the only way I will be OK about the money I invested.

Interesting point, I wonder, for example, how much Sky has lost in revenues.  Assume while some people have turnoff their subscription to sky sports during this period, that most wont have bothered.  

Therefore it would just be advertisers,  I assume most of that money is locked in well in advance and the adverts have probably still been shown but just not to the levels of audience they would’ve expected.  Maybe there is growth payment based on viewers that Sky has lost, who knows or the advert can only be shown during games.

Not sure about sell on broadcasting rights, sounds like PL does all that directly with overseas broadcasters so....

Sky might have saved the game costs and transporting equipment, maybe appearance fees of celebs commentating at games.

Just interesting how much it has impacted them really that they could demand % from the PL.  I’m sure it’s big money but just wondering if it is really that much

5 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

Once the season is voided we would be qualified through alphabetical order. :)

Or prior champions of the European Cup/Champions League automatically get a spot 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

No spitting makes absolute sense but they also need to ensure they stop blowing their noses all over the pitch too. 

Having said that, what about sweating? They can't stop that. What if a player gets injured and sheds blood onto the pitch? Will they have to stop the games whilst the groundstaff in PPE rush onto the pitch to replace the patch of grass? 

What about touching the ball with sweaty hands? Will all the players have to wear gloves? 

Can the defenders not pull shirts any longer? 

It's ridiculous to play a contact sport when the rest of society can't even hug their loved ones. 

I don't think the virus can be passed on through sweat or blood.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But that’s going to impact next season then.  If we cancel next season then I’m all for it because it means we can resume this season at a reasonable date and complete in a reasonable time frame.  

If a full next season then it’s just doesn’t make sense as the Euros are next year so players will be cramming the rest of this season, next season, euros and the following season together, which is no good for the players and that’s if you can cram it all in.  

Still think football won’t be starting any time soon and thus means next season would be a delayed start and we’ve already seen there is no spare time available in a season.

As we have all discussed it just comes down to money.

This season will be voided once it become obvious that they risk even more TV money if not next season go through as planned.

There is no opportunity to play also next season well into July, which means there need to be room for domestic and european competitions, finish in good time before the Euros and some extra time as well, since it might be that there will be more Covid 19 issues during 2020/21. 

Which means 2020/21 need to start in August. Before that there need to be 3-4 weeks of proper training, 9 league games and time for a summer break and a preseason.

So if the 2020/21 season start late August, preseason need to start late July or very early in August. Which means 2019/20 need to finish at the very latest around July 10th.

To be able to do that, the league need to restart late May or very early in June. And if there should be at least three weeks of proper training, they need to start normal training within the next two weeks. That's a thight schedule and is only possible if there isn't an outbreak of Covid 19 in one or more squads. 

Then you have big question marks on if people think it's ok that they play BCD and big question marks if the players can accept to be exposed for the extra risk. 

So in my mind we are about 1-2 weeks away from voiding the season. They won't do it before it's obvious that that is the only choice. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

As I mentioned before the TV companies will prefer to try a full season of games than play the last 10 games especially with no title race

It’s probable that Liverpool would win the league but it’s not mathematically certain

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Very bad news if confirmed.

Potentially yes, but the only teams with a game in hand there are PSG and mid table Strasbourg so that game is meaningless.

No doubt it will be a financial loss for those teams relegated, but the money involved in the PL and the fact that our game in hand actually matters means the PL (or the Championship) can't just copy that approach.

So that's two leagues now, Scotland and France, that have cancelled the season and used the current standings to determine the final table, Holland have also done the same but they've cancelled the league title and relegation, as far as I'm aware no league has yet cancelled just one of either the title or relegation, it's either been both or neither, so if the premier league follows that trend if they cancelled relegation then they'd also cancel Liverpool winning the title, which isn't going to happen.

The French teams who have been relegated 1 was miles a drift and another 4 points behind,we have game in hand to get us out so not sure it would work here.

Also in a report it says EFL need 66,000 test to end season in all leagues which is doubtful,so what if the Championship dont end the season how can the top 2 go up?

Bottom three in the Ligue1 are Toulouse, 27 points from safety, Amiens, 7 points from safety, and Nimes 3 points from safety... Apparently it's only Toulouse and Amiens that are being relegated, Nimes being allowed to stay up.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Bottom three in the Ligue1 are Toulouse, 27 points from safety, Amiens, 7 points from safety, and Nimes 3 points from safety... Apparently it's only Toulouse and Amiens that are being relegated, Nimes being allowed to stay up.

Again that seems a bit of a fudge.  Do Ligue 2 normally have two automatic promoted teams and then playoffs for the third like the Championship?

Edited by sharkyvilla