Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Bottom three in the Ligue1 are Toulouse, 27 points from safety, Amiens, 7 points from safety, and Nimes 3 points from safety... Apparently it's only Toulouse and Amiens that are being relegated, Nimes being allowed to stay up.

Interesting!

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

See, football was cancelled before kids were locked out of school. So, I have been of the belief that the kids would return to school before football starts back up. Now, do I believe that kids will be back in school by June 8th? I am not so sure of that, not all kids anyway.

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

If the PL decide to restart this season, the people making the decision need to be lined up and shot.

(Not really, dont advocate violence etc etc, but they will definitely be nincompoops)

Talksport ran a Twitter poll yesterday.

58% voted to cancel the season and 42% to finish it. The people have spoken. It's a wider margin, than the Brexit referendum was after all.😉

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

BAME individuals seem to be more at risk currently and Dr's etc not sure why so talk of them being moved away from NHS front line.Football is very multicultural so can you imagine what happens if it starts up and BAME players start coming down with it ...

Also this idea that if a player tests positive its treated like an injury and rest of squad carry on is nuts  

All it would take would be one player to die from the virus, having caught it whilst playing for there to be a monstrous court process which would inevitably result in a huge compensation payout.

I just can’t believe the PL would be willing to take this risk.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

3 minutes ago, Nabby said:

BAME individuals seem to be more at risk currently and Dr's etc not sure why so talk of them being moved away from NHS front line.Football is very multicultural so can you imagine what happens if it starts up and BAME players start coming down with it ...

Also this idea that if a player tests positive its treated like an injury and rest of squad carry on is nuts  

Yes the idea if you test positive and you carry on like its a injury is a joke!What happens to rest of team surely they would be in contact with that player?

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

All it would take would be one player to die from the virus, having caught it whilst playing for there to be a monstrous court process which would inevitably result in a huge compensation payout.

Or even a family member to a player.

There is also that studies have shown the virus leaves permanent damages to the lungs in some cases meaning a player might put his career at risk by playing and catching the virus.

Edited by sne

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

they potentially lose upwards of £370m (based on reports) if season is cancelled. will compensation be that much? i'd say they would take the risk. dont think they should, obviously, but the fact that they're even discussing a return shows that they don't give a toss

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

they potentially lose upwards of £370m (based on reports) if season is cancelled. will compensation be that much? i'd say they would take the risk. dont think they should, obviously, but the fact that they're even discussing a return shows that they don't give a toss

Oh I don’t know, let’s say Mo Salah or someone of that standing got it and died. Liverpool would lodge a claim for £100M+ I’m sure and then there’d be the claim from the family, his agent and sponsors etc etc 

Would soon mount up into the hundreds of millions I’ll wager 

The raison that Nimes haven't been relegated is because third bottom of Ligue 1 usually play the team in third place in Ligue 2 in a play-off game, but as that play-off game can't take place they're not being relegated, and only the top two are being promoted from Ligue 2. If the English season gets cancelled then obviously the championship play-offs won't happen either, so will be interesting do they just relegated the bottom two and promoted the top two from the championship, or relegated the bottom three and promote to the top three from the championship, either way we'd be relegated.

Hopefully the fact that there's so much more money in the premier league means that it won't be as easy for the English league to do as is being done in France and Scotland.

The Mail are reporting that lockdown is likely to be extended till June at next week's review. I would guess any chance of full training being reintroduced before the lockdown is lifted are non-existent so the window to finish the season is reducing further.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Oh I don’t know, let’s say Mo Salah or someone of that standing got it and died. Liverpool would lodge a claim for £100M+ I’m sure and then there’d be the claim from the family, his agent and sponsors etc etc 

Would soon mount up into the hundreds of millions I’ll wager 

very morbid topic i know but suspect a lot of that would be via insurance...and there would always be the argument that no one forced salah et al to play

5 hours ago, useless said:

Saw this list of requirements quoted from the mirror newspaper's website for all clubs going back to training...

'All footballs, GPS units, cones, corner flags, goalposts and other equipment to be disinfected before and after use by staff wearing PPE
Players to wear snood/masks at all times
Cars to be parked three spaces apart
No massages unless approved by club doctor
Fluids to be left at designated pick-up points
Only visit training block to use toilet
Initially only five players per training group
Players to be given designated time slots and 15 minutes to prepare
75 minutes of small group training
15 minutes recovery
Players and staff will be banned from spitting at the Training Ground'

Surely if you have to bother with all that then it should tell you that probably shouldn't trying to play football, if it was okay to play you wouldn't be having to take all those precautions, and that's not even taking into consideration all the matchday restrictions... Germany apparently going to make an announcement on their season later today so should be interesting what comes of that.

Yes but remember it is for the integrity of the game.

38 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Not if the govt agree to it.

Let’s be honest footballers are super fit and have great immune systems and all of them who have got it so far have recovered very quickly. There’s a theory that Boris Johnson got it bad and Matt Hancock didn’t because one is overweight the other isn’t