Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Summer Transfer window confirmed to close on September 1st along with the rest of Europe rather than August 8th when the Prem starts.

In general I'm against this, I'd rather have it all be done by start of the League. But we are for sure in for a summer 'saga' with Jack whether we are up or down. Hopefully he commits to us early or we find the right money for him early on... but Even if he goes early doors you'd imagine we are going to need that extra time to find a replacement considering how long it took us to get Samatta in when it was clear from August we needed another striker. Could be a blessing for us if the worst happens and he does go

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We barely take any pts against the top half teams and we've got a bunch of them coming up. That's where most of the concern lies.

The myth that we beat the teams around us is a lie. We've gifted Bournemouth 6 pts and we lost to Watford. We drew to Brighton.

We have to start getting some pts where it's not expected.

think that goes without saying. 'expected' points i would call southampton (1), sheff utd (3), newcastle (1), palace (3), arsenal (1) and west ham (1)

we need more that 10 points to stay up, so need to take a scalp or 2

the worry for me is that we dismiss the games vs the bigger sides. a few times DS has said "these games dont define our season" when many of the sides around us get points from them

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

think that goes without saying. 'expected' points i would call southampton (1), sheff utd (3), newcastle (1), palace (3), arsenal (1) and west ham (1)

the worry for me is that we dismiss the games vs the bigger sides. a few times DS has said "these games dont define our season" when many of the sides around us get points from them

He only said that about Man City to be fair. 

Villa's revised squad list (post-January transfer window) does not include Sarkic.  So he was re-called from an excellent loan spell for no reason and is now ineligible for selection.

Wesley & Heaton are also omitted from the updated list meaning that's them officially done for the season.

Updated list - NOTE U21s are not included in below list but remain eligible - so the likes of Keinan Davis or Indiana Vassilev don't need to be declared in the 25.

SENIOR LIST
------------
Nyland
Reina
Steer

Elmohamady
Engels
Guilbert
Hause
Konsa
Mings
Targett
Taylor

Drinkwater
El Ghazi
Grealish
Hourihane
Jota
Lansbury
McGinn
Nakamba
Trezeguet

Bastón
Samatta

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think if we are to average the same points through to the end of the season then we are relying on West Ham continuing with their form.

If they start picking up points then we'll be relegated.

Doesn't that go for every team around us? Regardless, I'm thinking it's going to be Bournemouth and Watford. Brighton as a late wildcard. I agree West Ham have just too much quality for this to continue until the end of the season.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Yes. If we can get the start of the season McGinn.

The McGinn just before he went out injured was really sub par. 

The one who badly needed a rest? Yes I agree.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomav84 said:

There is no way we're getting 3 from Sheffield or 1 v Arsenal. More likely to get 3 at Soton and that's not likely at all. We've really f'd it with getting nothing at Bournemouth. 

Nope. We ain't beating Sheffield United.

They run through brick walls for each other. Can easily see us getting outworked again.

Arsenal is a different fish. Arteta has sturded up their defense but they aren't looking a threat going forward under him.

Looks like it will be a congested April as apparently Newcastle away will be cancelled if they win in FA cup fifth round.

Makes in the short term the fixture list much harder (could have Spurs, Chelsea and Leicester as three of our four games up to April now) but in April we could easily have a week of Newcastle, Palace and Sheffield United which has a real make or break feel about it.

• Sad 1

Our run in might look very difficult, but 7-8 of those teams will have nothing to play for by the time we meet. In previous seasons, those teams tended to lose a higher proportion of games towards the end. Things will still be difficult, but it gives us an advantage over some of the fellow relegation battlers. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BOF said:

Villa's revised squad list (post-January transfer window) does not include Sarkic.  So he was re-called from an excellent loan spell for no reason and is now ineligible for selection.

Wesley & Heaton are also omitted from the updated list meaning that's them officially done for the season.

Updated list - NOTE U21s are not included in below list but remain eligible - so the likes of Keinan Davis or Indiana Vassilev don't need to be declared in the 25.

SENIOR LIST
------------
Nyland
Reina
Steer

Elmohamady
Engels
Guilbert
Hause
Konsa
Mings
Targett
Taylor

Drinkwater
El Ghazi
Grealish
Hourihane
Jota
Lansbury
McGinn
Nakamba
Trezeguet

Bastón
Samatta

If you get freak injuries to all your goalkeepers can you still get special dispensation to add an extra senior player or do you have to rely on the under 21s?

Shame that Wesley is confirmed to be out the running,  but Samatta has looked significantly more up to speed with the Prem in his admittedly brief stint so far. I rate Davis enough as emergency cover, and Baston looked capable at the start of this season so dont think we will miss him.

Lansbury is a real waste of a spot though, what a waste of his potential.

I feel like we’ve played better when under pressure to do well. When we had that ‘easy’ selection of games over Christmas, which we were all banking on, we absolutely tanked. Yet, when we met an in-form Watford at Villa Park we did the business.

This is why I’m not too scared of these apparent tough fixtures that we have at home. I think we’re going to pull off a few shocks

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BOF said:

I think McGinn could yet be the difference.  They've pencilled in an optimistic return date for him of the league cup final (or gameweek 28).  If he gets even close to that; say gameweek 29; then that's a huge part of the run-in where one of our best players is not just available but completely rested.

I was thinking this very same thing this morning. McGinn is going to be hungry to get stuck in when he gets back and will be like a new signing.