Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

10 hours ago, tomav84 said:

That does apply to some, but there are some of those teams that would love to beat us and send us down. Wolves + Newcastle straight away spring to mind. Utd always get a result at VP regardless of who's in charge + who's on the pitch.

You may have stats to back up your theory (i can't be bothered to look) but actually i fear a team under no pressure more than a team struggling. West ham for example, the atmosphere is toxic there at the moment. I'd fear them much more if they're safe by the time we play them

I very much doubt Wolves or Newcastle players give two shits about sending us down, regardless of what a manager or fan wants. Oh and we 'never' get anything at old Trafford but got a point this season.

For the record, I wasn't counting west ham as a team with nothing to play for. They are in a relegation fight, but I don't think the players have realised yet! 

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Funnily enough, I actually think a Watford win might be the best result for us overall (provided we win of course)

I'm really flipping between the two. Brighton loss and they still have lots of tough home games left.

Watford lose and they're stuck on 23 points with Man. United and Liverpool coming up.

• Like 1

I want anything but a Watford win tomorrow, would rather keep the bottom three as far away from us as possible, and don't want to go into the Tottenham game needing to beat them to climb out of the relegation zone.

• Like 3

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

Listened to talksport last few days. None of their 'experts' think we'll go down. All about west ham.

That's terrible news.

Did one of those predictor things and had us staying up despite losing at West Ham last day.

I had some stuff that just doesn't seem possible though, Newcastle went down in 18th. 

20 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Not impossible. Newcastle are the worst team in the league behind norwich. Luck doesnt last forever

The table suggests otherwise....

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Not impossible. Newcastle are the worst team in the league behind norwich. Luck doesnt last forever

I think Newcastle has benefitted from plenty of luck, but getting Maximin back will keep them from collapsing.

I think the best results for today are a Brighton win and an Everton win. Well, I'd prefer a draw for the first one, all but a Watford win. They have some tough fixtures coming and they're lower in terms of points. Brighton are still playing Palace which is another 6 pointer actually. 

I agree with @useless that the last thing we need is to go to Spurs games needing something to get out of the relegation zone. We'll have a blank round two weeks later so it will be good to have the bonus game while we're still out of relegation zone. 

I hope results goes our way. I still see Palace, Newcastle as relegation candidates. Even Burnley or Southampton aren't far from that, I think the loser in their might get dragged to it. So even Palace and Newcastle games going in our way would still be important. 

There is a good chance that we go into our game while the league looks this way:

13. Newcastle 31

14. Palace 30

15. Brighton 27

16. Bournemouth 26

17. Villa 25

18. Watford 24

19. West Ham 24

20. Norwich 18

With all but us and Newcastle played 26. 

We were 28 points under Mcleish at this stage of the season.  We were 15th with all three below us having 21 points. We've only won once after that "that famous Weimann goal against Fulham" (total of 7 wins). We had the second fewest wins that season behind Wolves (5 wins). We managed to stay up on 38, QPR stayed on 37.

I think the point tally now is a bit higher, still not sure if 38 will be enough. But I still think that needing above 40 points will need a lot of freaking results. 

• Like 2

I think that the points total to survive will be at least 38-40 points this season purely because the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd have been below average, for them, this season and have conceded points to the teams in the bottom half. That's why, for me, I think we need to take points off those teams when we play them. 

• Like 1

Palace are like a replica of Newcastle to me. Boring and everytime I watch them I wonder how they've got to 30 points. Guess it shows how being organised and having pace in final third can get you plenty of points.

Perhaps they'll be that mid table team that drop in the last two months.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Palace are like a replica of Newcastle to me. Boring and everytime I watch them I wonder how they've got to 30 points. Guess it shows how being organised and having pace in final third can get you plenty of points.

Perhaps they'll be that mid table team that drop in the last two months.

Everyone talks about that team that were never in the relegation battle who drop into it late on having been nowhere near it for most of the season.  Palace could well be that team. 

But for that disgrace of a disallowed goal at Selhurst Park right at the start of this we would now be only 2 points behind them with a game in hand.  At times that have been right up there miles away from the dropzone this season. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Brighton v Watford a draw please.

A draw would be my first choice.

A Watford win my second choice.

People would prefer a Brighton win but all that does is pull them further away from us IMO.

I'd prefer to have more teams in and around us than to solely be battling it out with  1 or 2.

It would give us more of a chance in my opinion.

• Like 1