Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

11 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Summer Transfer window confirmed to close on September 1st along with the rest of Europe rather than August 8th when the Prem starts.

In general I'm against this, I'd rather have it all be done by start of the League. But we are for sure in for a summer 'saga' with Jack whether we are up or down. Hopefully he commits to us early or we find the right money for him early on... but Even if he goes early doors you'd imagine we are going to need that extra time to find a replacement considering how long it took us to get Samatta in when it was clear from August we needed another striker. Could be a blessing for us if the worst happens and he does go

Typical they couldn't have made this decision for the past summer ffs.

As we would probably had had time to get more/better players ffs.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Typical they couldn't have made this decision for the past summer ffs.

As we would probably had had time to get more/better players ffs.

Might have something to do with the Euros making it harder to recruit, so stretch the window to compensate? 

13 hours ago, BOF said:

Villa's revised squad list (post-January transfer window) does not include Sarkic.  So he was re-called from an excellent loan spell for no reason and is now ineligible for selection.

Wesley & Heaton are also omitted from the updated list meaning that's them officially done for the season.

Updated list - NOTE U21s are not included in below list but remain eligible - so the likes of Keinan Davis or Indiana Vassilev don't need to be declared in the 25.

SENIOR LIST
------------
Nyland
Reina
Steer

Elmohamady
Engels
Guilbert
Hause
Konsa
Mings
Targett
Taylor

Drinkwater
El Ghazi
Grealish
Hourihane
Jota
Lansbury
McGinn
Nakamba
Trezeguet

Bastón
Samatta

Like Davis and Vassilev, Sarkic also doesn’t need to be included in he squad because he was only 21 on Jan 1 2019. Weird rule versus, say, first day of season, but that’s why he doesn’t need to be named.

An Under 21 player is defined as one who is under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences.”

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Like Davis and Vassilev, Sarkic also doesn’t need to be included in he squad because he was only 21 on Jan 1 2019. Weird rule versus, say, first day of season, but that’s why he doesn’t need to be named.

An Under 21 player is defined as one who is under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences.”

He was 21 and your quote says "under the age of 21".

22 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Even though we aren't playing it's a big weekend for us need a Brighton v Watford draw, Bournemouth loss and West ham loss, be a nice weekend it that happened.

The Brighton V's Watford game is the interesting one for sure.

I think the draw is probably the best outcome from a psychological aspect as much as anything else as it means we would stay out of the relegation places, however longer term a defeat for either side could have a damaging affect on them which may work in our favour.

Following this match Brighton have a difficult trip to Sheffield Utd followed by a "derby" against Palace, whilst Watford face a trip to Old Trafford then runaway leaders Liverpool - therefore conceivably either team could have 3 defeats on the spin which would be demoralising for them, but fantastic for us.

Hopefully West Ham not only lose to City, but their goal difference takes a battering too, then again when they travel to Liverpool and of course hopefully Bournemouth return from Bramall Lane pointless!

One thing is for certain though, there are going to be results that go against us therefore we have to make sure that we concentrate on our own task ahead and acquire the maximum points possible - hopefully prior to our visit to West Ham on final day so that can be a party atmosphere (for us! 😉)

12 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Our run in might look very difficult, but 7-8 of those teams will have nothing to play for by the time we meet. In previous seasons, those teams tended to lose a higher proportion of games towards the end. Things will still be difficult, but it gives us an advantage over some of the fellow relegation battlers. 

That does apply to some, but there are some of those teams that would love to beat us and send us down. Wolves + Newcastle straight away spring to mind. Utd always get a result at VP regardless of who's in charge + who's on the pitch.

You may have stats to back up your theory (i can't be bothered to look) but actually i fear a team under no pressure more than a team struggling. West ham for example, the atmosphere is toxic there at the moment. I'd fear them much more if they're safe by the time we play them

52 minutes ago, BOF said:

He was 21 and your quote says "under the age of 21".

Strange rule.
I was about to write that Davis isn't listed and he was 21 on 1st Jan 2020, that is the 1st of Jan which the season includes, but it's actually the 1st Jan before that at the start of the year the season commences, i.e. more than 7 months before the start of the season!
As it happens with this rule, Davis is almost as old as a player can be to be classed as under 21 this season, he'll actually be 22 years and 3 months old by the end of the season!
But yes, Sarkic isn't under 21 by any relevant definition, so he's out of the squad.

Edited by fightoffyour

10 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I’m confused. I thought there was a break. Why are only some teams playing this weekend?

2 week break staggered, so those that play this weekend, won't play the following weekend, see all teams will have 2 weeks off. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I’m confused. I thought there was a break. Why are only some teams playing this weekend?

The teams playing this weekend won't next week so there break will be next week. They've just split it up so there are games on both weekends. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

The break is split over two weekends some play this week some play next  week, thinks it works out everyone gets 10 or 11 days off.

• Thanks 1

The reality is that we cannot afford anymore halves of football like we witnessed 1st half of the Bournemouth game. If we avoid that I think we have a decent chance of 3pts against Spurs. It’ll be a lovely bonus if results go for us this weekend at other games but we must treat the Spurs game as a fight to the death, make this the game that we learn we can beat big names. It could prove a vital boost of confidence going into the following fixtures. Spurs aren’t the same possession/pressing team under Mourinho as they were under Pochettino, that should suit us better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

That does apply to some, but there are some of those teams that would love to beat us and send us down. Wolves + Newcastle straight away spring to mind. Utd always get a result at VP regardless of who's in charge + who's on the pitch.

You may have stats to back up your theory (i can't be bothered to look) but actually i fear a team under no pressure more than a team struggling. West ham for example, the atmosphere is toxic there at the moment. I'd fear them much more if they're safe by the time we play them

Think back to the run in under Sherwood. We played West Ham, Everton at home and Spurs away who were all comfortable top half when we played them. We won all three games.

If you look back to Arsenal's run in last season they failed to beat Palace, Leicester, Wolves and Brighton in their last 5 games as they were concentrating on the europa league so same could happen again especially as they have no chance of top 4 this season.

Could especially have a situation where we play Sheffield United at home and then Arsenal home straight after so that could be huge few days in the season.