Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

29 minutes ago, terrytini said:

That kind of thoughtful rational thinking will never catch on.

Dont you realise we are uniquely weak minded and poorly led ? 

Nothing to do with fluctuations in an incredibly competitive league.

Do I detect a whiff of exasperation, manifesting itself in procrastination tinted with sarcasm with a possible slight accusation of masturbation in the views of some of The Villa Nation?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Do I detect a whiff of exasperation, manifesting itself in procrastination tinted with sarcasm with a possible slight accusation of masturbation in the views of some of The Villa Nation?

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think Burnley will drop into the bottom three end of January, they have some really difficult games coming up.

Yeah, and why beating them today was so important. Dragged them right back into it.

Today's win was amazing but things are going to be so difficult for us with Heaton, McGinn and Wesley out for lengthy spells. 

We're really in bare-bones territory now when it comes to first 11 and quality cover. It also wouldn't shock me if we saw another injury to Mings as he seems to be that type of player, but there's little point worrying about something like that until it happens. 

Such a huge window for us now. 

I think now that we're out of the relegation zone (we'll most likely get back to is next week anyway), but I think now it's time to focus in the cup games. Man City we won't win it likely, I'd prefer going to Wembley than sacrificing Leicester game for that.

Everyone here remember when we surrendered FA Cup game against City, to beat Bolton in our relegation fight under Houllier. We went there and lost 3-2.

I'd field a second tier team against Fulham, but would take it seriously. Mostly first team against Leicester. The fans deserve something, although its a hard, but it's 3 games to have a chance for a trophy we didn't had for 23 year! Cup runs are fun and important. I won't risk PL statues for that, but, we're helped by the fixture. Man City is the most written off fixture at home from now on. So we have 17 days until our next important match in the league.

hadn't realized our last 11 games consisted of Tottenham, Sheff Utd, Leicester, Chelsea, Wolves, Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal. We really need to pick points up in Jan/Feb and early March.  

Not sure how we're going to take points off of these teams, Sheff Utd being the most realistic team we can take points off.  Puts huge pressure on the other games, we simply have to start winning against those in and around relegation

• Like 1

I think we’ve been unlucky (again) in when we’ve had to face teams.

We could have had Watford at any point between August and December and would have probably gotten something from it but no, we get them with their new Manager bounce.

Likewise Southampton, we get them just as they decide to start playing properly, we could have had them when they were conceding 9 against Leicester.

Leicester themselves we had when they were deep into their winning run, Spurs imploded 2-3 weeks in to the season but of course we had them first before that kicked in.

im sure most teams could point to stuff like this but it always feels like we get the shit end of it.

• Like 4

This could easily come back to haunt me, but I feel like we can climb the table over the next few Prem fixtures. I wouldn't go as far as saying that things have 'gone our way', because of Wesley and Heaton. But I feel that there are positives to be taken from the next few games.

13th. Newcastle

14th. Brighton

15th. Burnley

16th. West Ham

17th. Villa

18th. Bournemouth

19th. Watford

Newcastle have half of their first team injured, and their next four games are Wolves, Chelsea, Everton and Norwich. This could see them pulled back into the scrap.

Brighton have done well to draw at Chelsea and beat Bournemouth, but before that their form was poor, and their next games are Everton, us, Bournemouth and West Ham. Though their games aren't tricky, they're facing teams around us, so not all teams can pick up maximum points.

Burnley will hopefully get a retrospective ban for Ben 'Bellend' Mee, and their next four games look very tricky: Chelsea, Leicester, Man Utd and Arsenal. I fully expect them to drop into the bottom 3, or at least for us to go ahead of them at the end of these fixtures.

West Ham got the classic new-old-manager-bounce in the last game, but like Burnley, their next four games aren't easy at all: Sheff Utd, Everton, Leicester and Liverpool.

Bournemouth have an easier run, which is a shit because we have Man City next and will probably drop back into the bottom 3 for a week at least, but they're also playing teams around us, so we'll at least be able to make up points on 'someone': Watford, Norwich, Brighton and us are their next four.

Watford's new manager bounce under Pearson has to come to an end soon. Surely? They face Bournemouth, Spurs, us and Everton in their next four. Kabasele got a straight red so he'll be suspended, which is a positive.

Then there's us. After playing Man City (which I'm (stupidly) optimistic that we can scrape a draw in), we play Brighton, Watford and Bournemouth which are winnable games, and providing we have a repeat of the first half against Burnley in a few of the halves against our next matches, we could jump up the table nicely, with teams around us either player each other or tricky top 6 teams.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sheffield United are a really good team.

Consider them individually, their transfer values/fees, their wages, their resources and infrastructure........it doesn’t even compare with ours and yet they’re so much more cohesive.

Very settled team. No real stand out players but they all know their jobs within the system they play. Terrifically run club imo. I think the team also has a good element of physicality about it which is why they have done really well thus far. You either need a team full off physicality or superb technical ability. Or both if you want to do really well. Lack in both departments and your in trouble in this league. I see them having a bad patch but I also think Wilder can be really aggressive with his team and get them firing enough to keep them safe...…Now I've said this watch them slide down the table lol!! 

Apparently Plop set a new PL record for passes made today.

970 passes made with a 90% accuracy so 874 accurate passes. And it's not like they were passing it around among their back 4 either. 

Almost 75% possession and Sheffield U didn't really get a look in. Utterly dominant performance.

Edited by sne

Does anyone know why we play Watford twice in a few weeks? Meaning we play them on this run of beating Spurs, Man U etc. As opposed to when they were awful up until mid Dec.

Also, why did we play Norwich twice before playing Watford?

2 hours ago, sne said:

Apparently Plop set a new PL record for passes made today.

970 passes made with a 90% accuracy so 874 accurate passes. And it's not like they were passing it around among their back 4 either. 

Almost 75% possession and Sheffield U didn't really get a look in. Utterly dominant performance.

To be fair to liverpool, they are the best team in the UK and have been for a couple of years I reckon.

I know they missed out on the prem last season (by a point?), but have won the euro cup, amazing team tbh, klopp is an amazing manager.