Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

14 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Beat Watford, Bournemouth, Southampton, Sheffield Utd, West Ham. Draw with Man Utd, Crystal Palace, Brighton, Arsenal, Everton. 

Tough but doable if we bring in the right players. Keep the faith! 

And we know what happened next....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Simply not true. 
I can, if I must, post the tables at this stage from the last 4 years. It shows little difference, overall, from this year.

I'm pretty sure a lot more teams are in the mix for the drop than usual. As from 14th up you are mostly safe. Everyone till 11 is within 2 games of the relegation zone. Most of the teams have taken points from the top 6 despite Liverpool remaining undefeated.

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

I'm pretty sure a lot more teams are in the mix for the drop than usual. As from 14th up you are mostly safe. Everyone till 11 is within 2 games of the relegation zone. Most of the teams have taken points from the top 6 despite Liverpool remaining undefeated.

Well, they simply aren’t.

I don’t want to sound dismissive, but it’s fairly easy to check. You can look at every past season on the Premier League site, and choose which Matchday. I’ve done so, many times. And with the odd exception every year is pretty much the same.

Anyway, the facts are there if you want them 🙂

Spurs were dismal away on the road again today. I sat through most of it and they only started attacking properly in the last 20.

If people really don't think we're capable of getting at least a point v them at VP then we might aswell just voluntarily relegate ourselves. It will probably be a good guide to how good our transfer window has been. I'm expecting 3-4 signings that can get us draws and wins at home to likes of Spurs and Arsenal which slipped through our grasp in the early weeks.

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

Simply not true. 
I can, if I must, post the tables at this stage from the last 4 years. It shows little difference, overall, from this year.

League table from 1st Jan last year had a bottom 3 with Burnley in 18th on 15 points. Crystal Palace were 14th with 19 points so decent difference to now.

Is our run in really so bad from here. Liverpool, Leicester both away and City at home are obviously the toughest on paper. 

Spurs, Arsenal, United, Watford, Chelsea, Palace, Sheff United all at home we can get points if we have belief, Newcastle, West Ham, Bournemouth and Brighton away are other games we can get points

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

League table from 1st Jan last year had a bottom 3 with Burnley in 18th on 15 points. Crystal Palace were 14th with 19 points so decent difference to now.

Well, the facts and previous tables are all there so I’m not spending more time on the conjecture 👍

Everyone from 12th down in the league apart from us won or drew in the FA Cup 3rd round, so will have at least 1 extra match. I'd love for us to win some silverware finally, but we're already in the League Cup semis and staying in the Premier League is more important right now. Missing those extra matches might help our cause a little, while other teams could suffer from injuries and/or fatigue. As such, I'm not bothered about yesterday's result.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

My drop zone starts with Newcastle at 13th.  I think Brighton & Wet Spam can distance themselves from the pack but two wins or two losses can quickly change things for the bottom eight.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Everyone from 12th down in the league apart from us won or drew in the FA Cup 3rd round, so will have at least 1 extra match. I'd love for us to win some silverware finally, but we're already in the League Cup semis and staying in the Premier League is more important right now. Missing those extra matches might help our cause a little, while other teams could suffer from injuries and/or fatigue. As such, I'm not bothered about yesterday's result.

I’m looking at teams around us picking up injuries and/or getting red cards.

Milivojevic got a straight read for headbutting a player today, so a 3 or 4 game ban for Palace, so they should be without a first choice midfielder for Arsenal, City and Southampton at least.

Pereyra (Watford) got a straight red yesterday, so he’ll miss 2 games minimum (but one of those will be the cup replay), so the Bournemouth league game might be it, in terms of league games. Kabasele is also banned for that game. 

Then we have teams like Newcastle who have a cup replay to play, but also have about 7 players out injured.

Hopefully all these little things work in our favour, and balance out the bad luck that we’ve had with injuries!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

I’m looking at teams around us picking up injuries and/or getting red cards.

Milivojevic got a straight read for headbutting a player today, so a 3 or 4 game ban for Palace, so they should be without a first choice midfielder for Arsenal, City and Southampton at least.

Pereyra (Watford) got a straight red yesterday, so he’ll miss 2 games minimum (but one of those will be the cup replay), so the Bournemouth league game might be it, in terms of league games. Kabasele is also banned for that game. 

Then we have teams like Newcastle who have a cup replay to play, but also have about 7 players out injured.

Hopefully all these little things work in our favour, and balance out the bad luck that we’ve had with injuries!

West Ham got 1 player injured today, Sheffield U picked up 1 injury and Palace picked up 2 injuries beside the Milivojevic red card.

Mostly fringe players but still. Biggest thing for us yesterday was to stay fit.

• Like 3

I did a PL predictor thing and had us surviving on 38 points and finishing 16th. Bournemouth in 18th going down with 36 points. I think I was pretty pessimistic too. I had us with the following results:

Man City (h) - L
Brighton (a) - D
Watford (h) - W
Bournemouth (a) - D
Spurs (h) - L
Southampton (a) - L
Sheff Utd (h) - W
Leicester (a) - L
Chelsea (h) - L
Newcastle (a) - D
Wolves (h) - D
Liverpool (a) - D
Man Utd (h) - D
Crystal Palace (h) - W
Everton (h) - D
Arsenal (h) - D
West Ham (a) - D

https://www.leaguetablecalculator.com?u=DSHMOI

I do hope this is the only season where we'll be desperately doing survival permutations. 17th place is totally acceptable this season, but we don't want to settle into a relegation battle groove like we did before we went down. I'd rather be gunning for promotion in the Championship if that's the case.

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

I did a PL predictor thing and had us surviving on 38 points and finishing 16th. Bournemouth in 18th going down with 36 points. I think I was pretty pessimistic too. I had us with the following results:

Man City (h) - L
Brighton (a) - D
Watford (h) - W
Bournemouth (a) - D
Spurs (h) - L
Southampton (a) - L
Sheff Utd (h) - W
Leicester (a) - L
Chelsea (h) - L
Newcastle (a) - D
Wolves (h) - D
Liverpool (a) - D
Man Utd (h) - D
Crystal Palace (h) - W
Everton (h) - D
Arsenal (h) - D
West Ham (a) - D

I've just done this and it's mad.

I think we're going down. Yet being my usual negative self, I've somehow got us finishing 12th. The whole bottom half if very tight.

Got Newcastle, Bournemouth, Norwich going down.

Other headlines are Liverpool finish on 109 points. City, Leicester, Wolves top 4.

Edited by Tomaszk

20 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I've just done this and it's mad.

I think we're going down. Yet being my usual negative self, I've somehow got us finishing 12th. The whole bottom half if very tight.

Got Newcastle, Bournemouth, Norwich going down.

Other headlines are Liverpool finish on 109 points. City, Leicester, Wolves top 4.

I had to have a late Liverpool collapse with already relegated Newcastle beating them on the last day. We finish 8th after going on a late run, Giroud was great business.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think people are just wired to give the benefit of the doubt to their team when they do these kinds of predictors. Tend to just give wins for most of the winnable fixtures and then put in a couple of draws for some of the difficult games purely on the basis that they might nick a couple of them.

Even though history has shown we don't win most of our winnable fixtures and the only difficult game we got a draw of is United.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Man City (h) - L
Brighton (a) - D
Watford (h) - W
Bournemouth (a) - D
Spurs (h) - L
Southampton (a) - L
Sheff Utd (h) - W
Leicester (a) - L
Chelsea (h) - L
Newcastle (a) - D
Wolves (h) - D
Liverpool (a) - D
Man Utd (h) - D
Crystal Palace (h) - W
Everton (h) - D
Arsenal (h) - D
West Ham (a) - D

Think you gave us way too many draws for it to be pessimistic. I don't believe we're only going to lose 5 more games for the first half of the season when right now we have more than double that from just the first half.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Man City (h) - L
Brighton (a) - D
Watford (h) - W
Bournemouth (a) - D
Spurs (h) - L
Southampton (a) - L
Sheff Utd (h) - W
Leicester (a) - L
Chelsea (h) - L
Newcastle (a) - D
Wolves (h) - D
Liverpool (a) - D
Man Utd (h) - D
Crystal Palace (h) - W
Everton (h) - D
Arsenal (h) - D
West Ham (a) - D

A draw away to a team that has W19 D1 L0 is pretty optimistic 😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, omariqy said:

Man City (h) - L
Brighton (a) - D
Watford (h) - W
Bournemouth (a) - D
Spurs (h) - L
Southampton (a) - L
Sheff Utd (h) - W
Leicester (a) - L
Chelsea (h) - L
Newcastle (a) - D
Wolves (h) - D
Liverpool (a) - D
Man Utd (h) - D
Crystal Palace (h) - W
Everton (h) - D
Arsenal (h) - D
West Ham (a) - D

Happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think we'll manage to be undefeated in our last 8 fixtures like you have us. If anything this has made me more pessimistic. 

I agree with others that that last run of draws is quite unlike us. However, I could see us picking up the same points by winning 2 of the last 6 draws and losing the other 4.

• Like 1