Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 minutes ago, useless said:

The positive to take is that if the season ended today we wouldn't be relegated, after 21 games we've been good enough for survival. And that's despite the bad run we've been on recently, still a lot of room for improvement as well, because we know we can do better than some of our recent showings, just need to refind our form.

Absolutely. I feel we have been pretty terrible for large parts of the season so far, throwing away points left, right and centre, and yet we are still outside the bottom 3.

Even with a win today West Ham won't be out of it yet, their next six games are Sheffield United (a), Everton (h), Leicester (a), Liverpool (h), Brighton (h), Man CIty (a), Liverpool (a), then in March they play Tottenham, Wolves and Arsenal. With those games to come winning today was a minimum requirement really

Edited by useless

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

If I were a Bournemouth fan, I'd be calling for the sack for Eddie Howe after this

I saw a Burnley fan calling for Dyche's head today, and this reminds me of that, and puts Dean's position in perspective.

Bournemouth are a shit small town, a tiny club, that until Howe turned up wouldn't even have dreamed of being in the PL. Even if he takes them down he deserves to stay in the job.

He's taken them from League 1, up to the PL and kept them in it for several seasons. They had never been in the top flight until Howe turned up. They'd not even been in the second tier since the 80s.

If they sack him, they deserve to go right back where they belong. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Who knows how the results would've panned out but losing today wouldn't been terminal, even a 2-2 would've been bad considering the circumstances.

The actual good news is we're ahead of what I thought (I wanted minimum of 20 points by NYD which we've done) and the path to 38-40 points dosen't look so hard now.

We will still need to beat some of Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea in next few months but given how poor two of those are away from home we simply can't act like scared school kids against them. I actually think the 3-5-2 will really help us in games like that and make us more solid across the pitch.

Burnley are very dangerous with crosses as we saw at VP and we limited them to hardly anything for first 80 minutes.

West Ham 3-0.

Actually our two best performances, were away from home. Today we could’ve easily done what we’ve done to Norwich. We’ll play Brighton and Bournemouth away. Huge games. 

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I saw a Burnley fan calling for Dyche's head today, and this reminds me of that, and puts Dean's position in perspective.

Bournemouth are a shit small town, a tiny club, that until Howe turned up wouldn't even have dreamed of being in the PL. Even if he takes them down he deserves to stay in the job.

He's taken them from League 1, up to the PL and kept them in it for several seasons. They had never been in the top flight until Howe turned up. They'd not even been in the second tier since the 80s.

completely agree with this. he really has spearheaded their peak as a club and as a fan I would be very grateful of that. I suppose it's part of the game that as soon as the heat is turned on, nerves boil over and blood is demanded.

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I tell you what, Bournemouth could be in a LOT of bother if they go down. 

See how we struggled even with bigger crowds and far higher sponsorship deals / corporate income compared to what they will get in The Championship. 

I bet their wages are bigger than ours was with how the PL has been the last 3 years. 

I think that will happen anyway whenever Eddie Howe leaves. Him leaving will have same effect that Curbishley leaving Charlton and Big Sam leaving Bolton had for those clubs and the subsequent decline.

Ultimately Bournemouth remain a minnow at this level so guess gravity will pull them back down eventually.

1 minute ago, sne said:

A deflected shot, a wonder goal and a soft penalty for Wet Spam

Haller's goal was a pretty damn nice one, but yes the first was lucky and the penalty could be debated.

4 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Actually our two best performances, were away from home. Today we could’ve easily done what we’ve done to Norwich. We’ll play Brighton and Bournemouth away. Huge games. 

4 points would do me from those two. We also have Watford at home between those two games so big two weeks in the season.

Two more away wins and a draw and we might only need 10 points from the home games we have left to stay up. That would be doable.

I actually fancy us to win at Newcastle, we are long overdue a win there. Southampton away is obviously another crucial one.

14 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Absolutely. I feel we have been pretty terrible for large parts of the season so far, throwing away points left, right and centre, and yet we are still outside the bottom 3.

Its because we’re winning more than drawing. Under Mcleish, we stayed up with only 7 wins. So one more win than what we currently have. But 16 or 17 draws. We only have 3. We lost more than all of the league apart from Norwich.

Thats how huge wins are at this level. But ofcourse drawing is important especially mentally when its not going well.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RobSpain said:

BT Sport are reporting Heaton is an ACL knee  injury 🙈

f*** if true.

Nyland has looked o.k in his two cameos but as we saw last year big difference in him starting for 10-15 games. No idea on Kalinic status and I read Steer won't be back until March.

We obviously would need to get a short term loan in.

• Like 1

Burnley have a new manager thread on their forum a lot of their fans want Dyche out, and just had a look on the Bournemouth forum and likewise there's a thread on there calling for Howe to be sacked. Think Burnley sacking Dyche in particular would be a massive mistake, if you look at their team it's a miracle that they achieve what they do, unless they spent big would soon fall down the table.

Edited by useless

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

4 points would do me from those two. We also have Watford at home between those two games so big two weeks in the season.

Two more away wins and a draw and we might only need 10 points from the home games we have left to stay up. That would be doable.

I actually fancy us to win at Newcastle, we are long overdue a win there. Southampton away is obviously another crucial one.

I think taking it step by step is the case. A lot of ups and downs. People ruled our Newcastle and Burnley. Even Bournemouth before. Look at it now. 

• Like 1

I still think Newcastle will go down. 

Every time I’ve seen them they look awful. I know they’ve picked up a few results recently, but I think they are about to sink like a stone. 

They’ve had 4 injuries today apparently and already missing a few. 

They’ve got Wolves, Chelsea and Everton in Jan - can’t see them picking anything up there. 

Bournemouth look like this could be one season too many as well and I’m not convinced Southampton are up to it either

Don’t think any of them will get much backing in Jan, so if we can improve our squad, I’m sure we’ll have enough. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah this is where I fundamentally disagree with some posters. Yes what a manager has done in the previous seasons should be appreciated immensely, but it should not take into account into whether he should stay in the job this season. Relegation as another poster in here has said, could be horrific for them and there should be a point where their board realizes that the writing is on the wall for them if they stick with him. Not saying they've reached that point yet, but that point should exist. Having a mentality of Eddie Howe can do no wrong at the club because of what he's achieved for them prior is not healthy for future success. To an extent, this is my philosophy for Villa as well.

You could say the same thing regarding Claudio Ranieri, who performed an absolute miracle and allowing Leicester to win the PL, a much larger achievement than what Eddie Howe has done with Bournemouth imo. That if they fire the man who brought them a PL title against all odds, they deserve to go back down there. Yet they did, because they started to realize the writing was on the wall with Ranieri and look at them now. 

Its not as if Bournemouth are a cash strapped team either, or a newly promoted side. They're an established PL side that has been spending decent money. Their expectations were not going to be battling relegation again.

Edited by Laughable Chimp