Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

We won't get 20 more pts

Beat Watford, Bournemouth, Southampton, Sheffield Utd, West Ham. Draw with Man Utd, Crystal Palace, Brighton, Arsenal, Everton. 

Tough but doable if we bring in the right players. Keep the faith! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Beat Watford, Bournemouth, Southampton, Sheffield Utd, West Ham. Draw with Man Utd, Crystal Palace, Brighton, Arsenal, Everton. 

Tough but doable if we bring in the right players. Keep the faith! 

That will be VERY tough. I think we'd get about 13-15 points from that lot which would sometimes be just barely enough to stay up

If we continue our current points per game average then we will more than likely stay up, I know many are saying that it will take an higher than usual points total to stay up, but the same thing is said every year (people used to say it about reaching the play-offs as well) but most seasons around 38 points is enough, in the last fifteen years only two teams small heath and Wigan have been relegated with 38 points or more. So so far we're on course for survival and that's despite us going on a woeful run of form that saw us lose eight of eleven games and only win one of them, I doubt we'll go on a run that bad again, so I'm expecting us to maintain an average of a point a game at the very least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, useless said:

If we continue our current points per game average then we will more than likely stay up, I know many are saying that it will take an higher than usual points total to stay up, but the same thing is said every year (people used to say it about reaching the play-offs as well) but most seasons around 38 points is enough, in the last fifteen years only two teams small heath and Wigan have been relegated with 38 points or more. So so far we're on course for survival and that's despite us going on a woeful run of form that saw us lose eight of eleven games and only win one of them, I doubt we'll go on a run that bad again, so I'm expecting us to maintain an average of a point a game at the very least.

Yeah but normally 2 teams have basically already been related and only 3 are in contention for the last spot at this point. As it stands anyone under 8th can be relegated because everyone is that close this year. Southhampton and Watford are going on runs. Norwich score goals so if they bring in a decent centre half in January they could go on a run as well. 2 or 3 teams are in free fall at the moment but will likely sort themselves out and get clear but that will boost others points. Etc.

To me 40 points is minimum. If Watford and Soton keep winning it could be 45.

It's not going to be 45 points. It can't be. That means everyone is beating everyone and well then it evens itself out and we get back down to the 40 point mark. I think 39 will be the magic number this season. Our GD needs to be improved. If we end up going down by 1 point, Kevin Friend is not getting Xmas card. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yep then he’ll moan about the suspensions and call his players idiots. 

Very rare that Nigel Pearson ever speaks badly about his players He will blame the league, the refs, the weather before he turns on his players. That is his forte, the players play for him.

In the last ten years of the premier league after 21 games the most cut-adrift sides have been Huddersfield and ourselves when we were relegated, both eight points adrift, and Norwich this season seven points adrift, other than that the furthest a team has been from safety at this point is five points, and that's only happened in two seasons in the last ten, so it's wrong to think that two teams have already gone at this stage, it's very rare that you could say one team has already been relegated, let alone two, even Fulham this time last season were only four ponts from safety. And whilst Bournemouth have more points than is usual for a team in eighteenth, we also have more points than is usual for a team in seventeenth.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

That will be VERY tough. I think we'd get about 13-15 points from that lot which would sometimes be just barely enough to stay up

There are actually other games the poster didn't mention from his list we could also pick up points from....

For example if Kane remains out we should be looking at Spurs as a game we should be getting a point from. We would've got a 1-1 there in August without him on the pitch after all and Spurs have remained poor away under Mourinho.

Wolves at home another one he didn't mention. If we're playing them straight after a europa match that will help us.

To me magic number is 38. Point a game and very rare anyone goes down in last decade on that. We finished on that under McLeish and Sherwood and also think one of the Lambert seasons.

Our GD has taken a hit though since December started so perhaps 39 to be on the safe side.

Despite all our issues in first half of the season we have still won six games. Five wins and a few draws and we'd stay up so to me it's very possible.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, useless said:

Couldn’t agree more, been meaning to post this for ages.

Within a point or two the League maps out the same way most seasons.

Additionally, the majority of sides in the bottom half after 21 games get between 12 and 18 points in the remaining 17 games. More often than not the bottom 2 get closer to 12/13, the next few up get closer 15/17.

Facts ! So much better than blind pessimism ( or blind optimism) .....we are indeed on course to stay up, which realistically is, or should be, as much as anyone would’ve hoped for.

12 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah but normally 2 teams have basically already been related and only 3 are in contention for the last spot at this point. As it stands anyone under 8th can be relegated because everyone is that close this year. Southhampton and Watford are going on runs. Norwich score goals so if they bring in a decent centre half in January they could go on a run as well. 2 or 3 teams are in free fall at the moment but will likely sort themselves out and get clear but that will boost others points. Etc.

Simply not true. 
I can, if I must, post the tables at this stage from the last 4 years. It shows little difference, overall, from this year.

11 hours ago, useless said:

In the last ten years of the premier league after 21 games the most cut-adrift sides have been Huddersfield and ourselves when we were relegated, both eight points adrift, and Norwich this season seven points adrift, other than that the furthest a team has been from safety at this point is five points, and that's only happened in two seasons in the last ten, so it's wrong to think that two teams have already gone at this stage, it's very rare that you could say one team has already been relegated, let alone two, even Fulham this time last season were only four ponts from safety. And whilst Bournemouth have more points than is usual for a team in eighteenth, we also have more points than is usual for a team in seventeenth.

Absolutely.

13 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Lol.

For Watford to get 45 Points they’d have to get the same results as a Top 5 side from now until the end of the season...