Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the standard pitch size is the size it is because when the football authorities way back in the past were looking to decide what the right size for a football pitch should be they looked to the most important football club in the world at that time and asked how big is their pitch? 

Villa Park at the time was the same size it is now.

I believe the original Wembley pitch was made to match Villa Park in size.

Ooh, sauce if you can possibly remember. I wouldn't mind Lording that over people in an annoying manner if I knew I was on firm footing :)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Ooh, sauce if you can possibly remember. I wouldn't mind Lording that over people in an annoying manner if I knew I was on firm footing :)

I'll have a dig out of my Lerwill at bedtime. I'll need something to fill these long evenings between now and 07:00 on the 27th when my coach comes.

• Thanks 1

Derby beat an injury affected Leeds no Roofe ,Jansen , Douglas etc.Leeds had lost momentum,had injuries and had an anxious home crowd which we can relate to .

A full strength Leeds side would worry me and I think Derby is a better playoff opponent for us.Derby has some really good young players and have been bolstered by their run in and their cup runs make them potentially difficult.Their players probably think they can beat anybody.And they can.

We have reached the final by beating WBA.I think they had the best squad in the division and we were fortunate they sacked their manager and didn’t replace him.Their game plan against us especiallly in the second leg was flawed.If they had not resorted to GBH I think they would have got to the playoff final.The indiscipline of Robson Kanu ,Gayle and Brunt was a godsend to us.If they had been more offensive against us and had 11 players on the pitch they would have caused more trouble.Our discipline over both ties was amazing .Because Mcginn and Jack were able to keep calm from such blatant intimidation is creditable.

Our performance levels have dropped a bit and maybe the close marking of Jack has affected our play.We have areas where we are showing weakness especially on right side Green and Adomah are not playing with confidence.Why was Smith so reluctant to bring on Kodjia .Has something happened.?

Derby in the final is as good as we could have wished for.We need to play to the level we can and we can win.Stange things can happen and 1 bad challenge ,one mistake from a player or referee can cost us the game

Hopefully we can stop doing those shitty short corners.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TRO said:

Not that it counts for anything, but just an interesting sequence.

The last 30 play off finals have finished with these league placings :

3rd - 11

4th -6

5th- 8

6th- 5

just something else to think about.

I saw another stat that the team who appeared in a playoff final in 2 consecutive years won at the second attempt, 87% of the time. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 2

I suspect we'll start with a similar team as we've seen before. However seeing that both our right wingers are performing below par at the moment. I hope we go for either one of these.            

Steer

Elmo    Tuanzebe   Mings  Taylor

Hourihane   Whelan   Grealish

McGinn        Tammy       El Ghazi

Or 

Steer

Elmo     Tuanzebe   Mings Taylor

McGinn    Whelan   Grealish

Tammy   Kodjia    El Ghazi

6 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I saw another stat that the team who appeared in a playoff final in 2 consecutive years won at the second attempt, 87% of the time. 

I saw this too. It was a BBC article I posted a while ago, 9 of the previous 11 had been promoted at the second. Let’s hope we can make it 10 from 12. 

There’s surely no way on earth the players will enter this game complacently. If we are at it then we will have enough to get the win, but will certainly be tighter and more keenly contested than our previous 2 league games against them. 

To be fair to Derby its ours to lose. They have a young bunch with posh Lampard hair doos, an will not be overly disappointed to lose, unlike us having titled it 'the' must win game.

We have the experience, we have the quality, we need to be at our 100% best, an then I'm more than confident it'll be our game.

Let's just hope we turn up from minute 1.

14 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'll have a dig out of my Lerwill at bedtime. I'll need something to fill these long evenings between now and 07:00 on the 27th when my coach comes.

I wish it was an e-book @John_Lerwill

11 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

I know what you mean. But I think that was just something we did against WBA because of the height of their players. I’m guessing we thought it was a better idea than trying to out jump them. Hopefully we won’t see any of it against Derby.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Derby beat an injury affected Leeds no Roofe ,Jansen , Douglas etc.Leeds had lost momentum,had injuries and had an anxious home crowd which we can relate to .

A full strength Leeds side would worry me and I think Derby is a better playoff opponent for us.Derby has some really good young players and have been bolstered by their run in and their cup runs make them potentially difficult.Their players probably think they can beat anybody.And they can.

We have reached the final by beating WBA.I think they had the best squad in the division and we were fortunate they sacked their manager and didn’t replace him.Their game plan against us especiallly in the second leg was flawed.If they had not resorted to GBH I think they would have got to the playoff final.The indiscipline of Robson Kanu ,Gayle and Brunt was a godsend to us.If they had been more offensive against us and had 11 players on the pitch they would have caused more trouble.Our discipline over both ties was amazing .Because Mcginn and Jack were able to keep calm from such blatant intimidation is creditable.

Our performance levels have dropped a bit and maybe the close marking of Jack has affected our play.We have areas where we are showing weakness especially on right side Green and Adomah are not playing with confidence.Why was Smith so reluctant to bring on Kodjia .Has something happened.?

Derby in the final is as good as we could have wished for.We need to play to the level we can and we can win.Stange things can happen and 1 bad challenge ,one mistake from a player or referee can cost us the game

good post

In the last 4 games we have played 3 teams who want to molest us and one that was the best team in the league against our depleted offering....and we still give them a game.

In my view, those games  were not really representative of what we are....However, we need 11 players to turn up and be on their game, if we do that, we have a wonderful chance.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Yes Bamford played and hes so rubbish. 

Just been on the baggies site for the first and last time.....OMG if some fans have a beef they will make up anything.

The Blues need to be careful The Boggies are trying to steal their Villa hater mantle.

They maintain WE think Derby are going to be a pushover.....I think nothing is further from the truth, my understanding is Villa fans have respect for Derby County.

Where does this perceived arrogance we are supposed to have come from?

I'm just glad if we can't win it.....Derby will.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 7392craig said:

I know what you mean. But I think that was just something we did against WBA because of the height of their players. I’m guessing we thought it was a better idea than trying to out jump them. Hopefully we won’t see any of it against Derby.

Against Leeds Derby looked quite little, nippy and technical, but diddy - we should have better luck on set pieces, one hopes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

To be fair to Derby its ours to lose. They have a young bunch with posh Lampard hair doos, an will not be overly disappointed to lose, unlike us having titled it 'the' must win game.

We have the experience, we have the quality, we need to be at our 100% best, an then I'm more than confident it'll be our game.

Let's just hope we turn up from minute 1.

I don't subscribe to that.....They will be tough and they want it badly too.

£ 170 million won't attract too many laid back attitudes.

It will be a different kind of tough to the Leeds and WBA encounters where we were clattered and stopped playing....Derby can play, if they get going.

It will be no pushover, for either side.....Derby have just dismantled a very durable Leeds team in their own back yard, while we have overcome a very strong Albion side in a Passionate local Derby, in their back yard.....Both teams showed much character and Both teams have a very close and impressive form guide.

Respect all round ..me says.

PS your last line is my concern and also that we have players on the flanks that play like its a final.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Against Leeds Derby looked quite little, nippy and technical, but diddy - we should have better luck on set pieces, one hopes. 

Yeah they don’t strike you as a team that will dominate at set pieces. Where WBA’s players looked like giants at the back. I’m hoping we can look to utilise players like Mings on corners against Derby.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SmythRam said:

Wednesday threw a spanner in the works as we tried a diamond and it bloody worked! Now when Waghorn is fit and now Marriott looks to be in form.. god knows who to go for!

Possibly;

Roos

Bogle Keogh Tomori Cole

Johnson

Mount.              Wilson

Lawrence

Bennett.       Marriott

Which would mean dropping Holmes who is brilliant! Possibly Waghorn in for Bennett but Bennett has been outstanding recently.

So not much of a help to you there!

Interesting, a diamond formation would allow you to press higher with an extra man but also leave your fullbacks exposed, as one of those is Cole it would be brave!

I have a feeling we'll set up the same as the second leg against the Baggies, has all the makings of a good game. So, probably 0-0 then!

Regards the Wembley pitch size, as others hav mentioned, it's not much bigger than VP. Also, I'm sure I saw something a while ago regards Bodymoor Heath where it was stated that they have the ability to match any rivals pitch size and conditions and are able to train on such dimensions in prep. The pitch won't be an issue.