Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

By the beard of zeus! Somehow I managed to make myself believe the match was TOMORROW. A whole more week? Ferk, this is going to feel like an eternity.

1 hour ago, Block 510 said:

Current form is a better guide to the outcome. 

Villa went on a great run to the playoffs but seem to have lost a bit of form now. You finished just the two points above us in the end so it shows how poor you were earlier in the season that it took a 10 game winning streak just1 to make the playoffs. Excellent effort and thank the lord for Grealish. 

But you haven’t done so well recently. draw against Leeds loss against Norwich and struggled to put away 10 man WBA.  

I’ve read your forums and you sound a lot like Leeds did assuming it’s done and dusted. 

On current form we are the one with a head of steam.

We of course will write articles with our own angle on them but Villa are not far and away superior enough to us to warrant the dismissive arrogance shown by some posters. Do the “if the real Villa show up” crowd  believe that they played the real Derby County this season?

We have proved ourselves a big game club this season. Bottlers no more.

Have to respond to some of this....

No one thinks its done and dusted......

Leeds away was a credible draw, we made a stack of changes v Norwich, Deservedly beat West Brom at home and lost away - Hardly a car crash and your last 4 include 2 wins a defeat and a draw - Hardly a head of steam

Your own fans after the first leg v Leeds thought it was done and dusted and even more so at 2-0 down up until a massive keeper error and a huge Leeds collapse inc a red and a pen and yet suddenly now you are ready to take on all comers!!!

We had Mcginn & Tuanzabe out at the game at Villa park to so have you played the real Aston Villa recently ?

At the end of the day it all means nothing anyway inc whats written on message boards, the 2 teams will go out at Wembley and the better team on the day will go up

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Visiting Ram said:

There is a lot of pride in that but we can’t put our best side out as we have an awful lot of injuries but we will put one out that tries to win the game the right way  ( a lot of them are out of contract as well so it’s their last game for us probably)

Who is going to miss the game then ? I know Malone is suspended but who would play in your team if they were fit and are out?

If that makes sense!!!

8 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

Leeds away was a credible draw, we made a stack of changes v Norwich, Deservedly beat West Brom at home and lost away - Hardly a car crash and your last 4 include 2 wins a defeat and a draw - Hardly a head of steam

Your own fans after the first leg v Leeds thought it was done and dusted and even more so at 2-0 down up until a massive keeper error and a huge Leeds collapse inc a red and a pen and yet suddenly now you are ready to take on all comers!!!

We had Mcginn & Tuanzabe out at the game at Villa park to so have you played the real Aston Villa recently ?

At the end of the day it all means nothing anyway inc whats written on message boards, the 2 teams will go out at Wembley and the better team on the day will go up

Thanks for the response.

Completely agree that it’s all down to one game.

I’ve just been providing a bit of balance. A lot of posters here have written us off.

Yes I thought we were done against Leeds and I thought we’d thrown it away when we were 5 points behind Bristol but the fat lady still hasn’t sung.

We are not some little no hoper club. We have been in the playoffs more often than not and faced disappoint on 6 of the previous 7 attempts. We’ve paid our dues in this league. 

But playoff football doesn’t do what’s right or fair. It mostly comes down to who gets the rub of the green and i’m hoping we get it next Monday.

All the best to Villa after the game. Always liked them as a club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cb_82 said:

Who is going to miss the game then ? I know Malone is suspended but who would play in your team if they were fit and are out?

If that makes sense!!!

I will try, centre half Curtis Davies captain centre half out all season,  Craig Forsyth left back first choice knee ligaments 3rd time twice vs villa Marcos Olson left back knee ligaments all season, Malone Left back suspended (not great at defending at all) Craig Bryson midfield highly dependable waghorn forward but not really a centre forward - he might make the final, David Nugent injured decent sub  out of the final 

i hope that  helps - we have had only 2 centre half’s all season we have been missing mobility from proper central midfielders most of the season and we haven’t actually had a proper centre forward all season, we have done very well in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cb_82 said:

One major advantage you have is that your manager has seen the two sides of Derby county this season one the rubbish on show at villa park this season and the brilliant football that destroyed his excellent top of the league Brentford side. His real thoughts would be interesting. 

19 minutes ago, Visiting Ram said:

I will try, centre half Curtis Davies captain centre half out all season,  Craig Forsyth left back first choice knee ligaments 3rd time twice vs villa Marcos Olson left back knee ligaments all season, Malone Left back suspended (not great at defending at all) Craig Bryson midfield highly dependable waghorn forward but not really a centre forward - he might make the final, David Nugent injured decent sub  out of the final 

i hope that  helps - we have had only 2 centre half’s all season we have been missing mobility from proper central midfielders most of the season and we haven’t actually had a proper centre forward all season, we have done very well in my opinion.

So Ashley Cole will be left back and is 4th choice? 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

FWIW, Rams fans, I'm old enough to associate Brian Clough with Derby County, rather than Nottingham Forest.  

Me too, old enough, and yes we were very good once and but for utter stupidity all that forest stuff would have been us - they even used half our players - a very disappointing time

i once went to my corner shop and I bumped into both Brain Clough and Bob Paisley talking to each one Sunday morning as they were buying their newspapers - bizarre - two of their children were married and lived within about 600 yards of each other and they were visiting them I assume, how many European cups had they won - fabulous 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Visiting Ram said:

One major advantage you have is that your manager has seen the two sides of Derby county this season one the rubbish on show at villa park this season and the brilliant football that destroyed his excellent top of the league Brentford side. His real thoughts would be interesting. 

We also have a fully fit squad to choose from. Like a lot of teams Injuries to key players hit us hard near the middle of the season but everyone has come back to full fitness at the right time. 

7 hours ago, SmythRam said:

Derby have officially sold out their allocation. A lot unhappy with the ticketing system but hey ho!

Rightly so. I thought it was wild how you went straight from ST to general sale like that. Free for all. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just watched the derby Leeds highlights again. They played some superb stuff at times. We will really need to be on our game at the back. They will target Taylor I bet.

wouldn't you.

18 hours ago, Block 510 said:

Current form is a better guide to the outcome. 

Villa went on a great run to the playoffs but seem to have lost a bit of form now. You finished just the two points above us in the end so it shows how poor you were earlier in the season that it took a 10 game winning streak just to make the playoffs. Excellent effort and thank the lord for Grealish. 

But you haven’t done so well recently. draw against Leeds loss against Norwich and struggled to put away 10 man WBA.  

I’ve read your forums and you sound a lot like Leeds did assuming it’s done and dusted. 

On current form we are the one with a head of steam.

We of course will write articles with our own angle on them but Villa are not far and away superior enough to us to warrant the dismissive arrogance shown by some posters. Do the “if the real Villa show up” crowd  believe that they played the real Derby County this season?

We have proved ourselves a big game club this season. Bottlers no more.

we haven't done so well but.

The 10 man WBA was a derby game and they went to 10 men after 79 mins.....and Norwich, we had 6 first teamers out and could have won, with them going to clinch the title.

Having to play 2 top teams last games of the season before entering the play offs was never going to be easy and 2 of them trying to knock lumps out of us and us trying to avoid injuries.....hardly the Norm.

I think you will see the real Aston Villa at Wembley.

Ps However, its not done and dusted, only a fool would think that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

I think most fans are aware Mount missed both games and you seem to be playing with a lot more energy now when compared to our league encounters. It will be a tough game. 

• Like 1

On 18/05/2019 at 07:24, villan-scott said:

I saw this too. It was a BBC article I posted a while ago, 9 of the previous 11 had been promoted at the second. Let’s hope we can make it 10 from 12. 

There’s surely no way on earth the players will enter this game complacently. If we are at it then we will have enough to get the win, but will certainly be tighter and more keenly contested than our previous 2 league games against them. 

But when only 2 players* (Elmo & Grealish) are in the starting XI from last seasons final, does that count for much?

*max of 4 if Adomah and Hourihane start

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Junxs said:

But when only 2 players* (Elmo & Grealish) are in the starting XI from last seasons final, does that count for much?

*max of 4 if Adomah and Hourihane start

Exactly this. We are a different team. I personally think we over achieved last season when looking at our performances over the season.  We were efficient yet never convincing.  

• Like 1