Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm slightly surprised we haven't had any guest contributors from Derby on here yet. 

I wandered onto a forum of theirs the other evening to have a nosey and they barely have enough of their own fans posting on that.

What I did grasp whilst there was that they are jealous of Grealish (in awe, secretly) and believe they have a chance of beating us in the final.

I would be suprised to see any Rams appear on here, they wouldn't be that bad if they did though. 

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Can't decide whether to go grammar nazi on 'would of', or just point out yet again that the Wembley pitch is the same size as Villa Park. 

Is it really?

Wow, I did not know that.

Great little stat that Mr Mooney.  :thumb: 

We learn something new everyday.

I always have a look at the opposition Forums, Makes a change to view another teams forum and it is full of level headed comments, Makes a Refreshing  change TBH not reading neanderthal comments off the likes of Leeds,WBA,Blues even Bristol tbh (deliberately put bristol knowing they hate being called that).  Anyway cmon Villa lets do this.

Edit i Think the whole of Wembley should sing Leeds are falling apart again lol

Edited by walesavfc
  • Haha 4

48 minutes ago, walesavfc said:

I always have a look at the opposition Forums, Makes a change to view another teams forum and it is full of level headed comments, Makes a Refreshing  change TBH not reading neanderthal comments off the likes of Leeds,WBA,Blues even Bristol tbh (deliberately put bristol knowing they hate being called that).  Anyway cmon Villa lets do this.

Edit i Think the whole of Wembley should sing Leeds are falling apart again lol

That would be very funny - but I'm not sure whether just pretending they don't exist would wind them up more.

I'm not sure what I'd do if Blose fans didn't sing SOTV - it would be very confusing.

Here’s the highlights of when we beat them 4-0 at Villa Park. From memory Hourihane was rampant, Jack played well, and Whelan did very well breaking up their play. McGinn didn’t play as I think he was suspended? ... we can’t leave out super john though!

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Steer

Elmo      Axel       Mings     Hause

Whelan

McGinn               Grealish

El Ghazi                                    Kodjia

Abraham

Hit em with that star of David formation :lol: . If we play to our potential, I'd be very confident. Couldn't have asked for better circumstances. Would have been absolutely bricking a Leeds final.

That would be my team with an intention of introducing Hourihane at some stage, not sure if I would play Hourihane first and close down with Whelan....but the rest would get my vote.

That team could easily morph from 4-1-4-1 in to a 3-5-2, if we was losing midfield, with El Ghazi swapping flanks and Kodj going up front to join Tammy

However Dean may want to stick with continuity.

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I wandered onto a forum of theirs the other evening to have a nosey and they barely have enough of their own fans posting on that.

What I did grasp whilst there was that they are jealous of Grealish (in awe, secretly) and believe they have a chance of beating us in the final.

I would be suprised to see any Rams appear on here, they wouldn't be that bad if they did though. 

They have to believe, its only natural....just as we do.

Both teams will suit each other, and for once.....football will win the day.

The other 2 were so desperate to get through, it affected their game.

• Like 1

I think Over exuberance and desperation crept in to Leeds and Albions game, and ultimately cost them.

Both teams were ravaged by injuries and yellow cards and i think it all caught up with them.....Both losing in their own back yards also had a significance for me....The frustration grew.

They both showed an unhealthy desperation to get up.....Derby and Villa were far more calm and composed in their approach.

Edited by TRO

I think I would go:

Steer

Elmo       Mings   Tuanzebe   Taylor

McGinn    Hourihane   Grealish

Kodjia         Tammy       El Ghazi

Then introduce Whelan to shore things up if we need to, or Adomah/Green if we need to change things up in attack.

The thought of Kodjia running rings around a 38 year old Ashley Cole is giving me a hard on.

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think Over exuberance and desperation crept in to Leeds and Albions game, and ultimately cost them.

Both teams were ravaged by injuries and yellow cards and i think it all caught up with them.....Both losing in their own back yards also had a significance for me....The frustration grew.

They both showed an unhealthy desperation to get up.....Derby and Villa were far more calm and composed in their approach.

I think in Derby’s case they didn’t really expect to win and had no pressure at all, which let them play freely. 

6 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I really don't understand the hate for Taylor. He's probably been one of the most consistent performers under DS and was a huge part of the winning run we went on. I also think he was one of the better performers over the last two legs along with Elmo. 

I agree with your team but I'd have Taylor at LB, Hourihane in CM and Green at LW. 

Why does one have to hate Neil Taylor to think there's a better option for this game?

I think Hause/Kodjia down the left with Elmo/El Ghazi on Cole is a very interesting proposition. You basically switch to a 3 at the back when Elmo overlaps, get Grealish drifting over to work with Kodj so Hause can concentrate on defending first and foremost. When he bombs on have Whelan dropping back to cover. 

I like it. Maybe it is harsh on Taylor, but also Hause lost his spot through injury so it's fair to sympathetise with him too. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I think in Derby’s case they didn’t really expect to win and had no pressure at all, which let them play freely. 

Not that it counts for anything, but just an interesting sequence.

The last 30 play off finals have finished with these league placings :

3rd - 11

4th -6

5th- 8

6th- 5

just something else to think about.

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not that it counts for anything, but just an interesting sequence.

The last 30 play off finals have finished with these league placings :

3rd - 11

4th -6

5th- 8

6th- 5

just something else to think about.

So that’s the winning league placing? Mostly 3rd (Leeds gone) then mostly 5th (us), and lastly 6th (Derbs). That is interesting. You would expect it to be 3, 4, 5, 6 really in order, but there seems to be something about finishing 5th that helps... maybe it’s playing at home first, I think that worked well for us, as it puts pressure on the second leg on the home side. Maybe the sample size isn’t big enough? I’m no statistician.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why does one have to hate Neil Taylor to think there's a better option for this game?

I think Hause/Kodjia down the left with Elmo/El Ghazi on Cole is a very interesting proposition. You basically switch to a 3 at the back when Elmo overlaps, get Grealish drifting over to work with Kodj so Hause can concentrate on defending first and foremost. When he bombs on have Whelan dropping back to cover. 

I like it. Maybe it is harsh on Taylor, but also Hause lost his spot through injury so it's fair to sympathetise with him too. 

Also Hause was superb at LB against Derby (his last game there before he moved to CB).