Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

46 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

My big soft spot for derby went when they left The Baseball Ground. Derby fans are sound though, very level headed, and it’s a great place to have a drink.

We had no choice about the baseball ground sadly and you are very correct about the beer - lots of real ale places and independent breweries 

we are not very level headed when it comes to the red dogs (Nottingham F########## ) and Dirty Leeds 

10 minutes ago, Visiting Ram said:

We had no choice about the baseball ground sadly and you are very correct about the beer - lots of real ale places and independent breweries 

we are not very level headed when it comes to the red dogs (Nottingham F########## ) and Dirty Leeds 

I like Forest. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I like Forest. 

In fairness, we're not East Midlands rivals with them like 'Visiting Ram' is :):P  

20 hours ago, omariqy said:

. I imagine Ledley will be play for them as Huddlestone struggled with the legs of Grealish and McGinn at Pride Park. 

Not a chance of Ledley playing as he doesn't play for Derby.

It will be Bradley Johnson. He has been back in the side towards the end of the season and been absolutely brilliant.

18 hours ago, Visiting Ram said:

Anticipated Derby team but we have injury concerns at this point

Roos

Bogle Keogh Tomori Cole 

Johnson 

Mount  Wilson 

Bennett  Waghorn Lawrence 

if Bryson is fit he would go into midfield with Wilson on the right and Bennett to the bench

but if we go all out attack which is rather exciting to watch

Roos

Bogle Keogh Tomori Cole

Johnson

Mount   Wilson

Waghorn Marriott Lawrence 

Even if Bryson is fit, i think he'd struggle to get in the squad at the moment.

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

For comparison, Last season... 

DeIZpyMX4AAwuwx?format=jpg&name=large 

This season (possible) 

D6i7PO7WwAUdph0.png 

Looking at those two teams on paper, I don't think there's much in it to be honest. We've got more legs about us now. 

The biggest difference will be in how we approach the game. Was awful under Bruce last year.

Edited by PieFacE

Just came in to post a related point to the above.  People talking about us having an advantage because of our experience of last year's final.  There are only 2 guaranteed starters this season from last season's team.  Elmohamady & Grealish.  With 2 possible starters in Hourihane and Adomah.  We don't know if Whelan & Green will get in ahead of those.  And of course a new manager.  This is also a younger team in terms of overall footballing experience than the last one which had the likes of Snodgrass, Terry, Chester & Jedinak on the field.  So no, last year won't count.  I still think we match up well against Derby, but I think the game against Fulham will amount to absolutely zero advantage on the day.

• Like 3

Hi all

Two ways of looking at how the game will go

1. Villa are normally rubbish at Wembley and freeze on the big occasion, Derby are a young team and have nothing to fear....

2. Villa have the bitter experience of not performing and then losing in a POF as well as FA cup and LC finals, Derby may find the game too big for them and under perform...

I think its too close to call which Villa will turn up - hopefully JT and the experienced lads will prepare us better than SB did last year

I just want the game over and done with and I can stop pacing around worrying 😀

Regards

Derek

Agree with Snodgrass, not sure about Terry. He was great for us, but I actually think Chester outperformed him last season and he's now lost his place (injuries to blame I guess), plus Axel is much better than Terry on the ball and quicker. I like both Ax and Mings as our central duo, they work well together. 

From last season's team, I'd probably take Snodgrass over Adomah and Johnstone over Steer, but that's it. Last season's team was experienced but too old, Fulham had a younger and more dynamic team and were more attacking. This year's Villa team is younger, attacking and in excellent end-of-season form - that's why I'm more confident this season than I was last season, but we still have to turn up and play at our best if we want to beat Derby. That's where Smith will earn his money in preparing them for such a big occasion. 

3 hours ago, SmythRam said:

Not a chance of Ledley playing as he doesn't play for Derby.

It will be Bradley Johnson. He has been back in the side towards the end of the season and been absolutely brilliant.

Haha I meant Johnson sorry 

1 hour ago, Michelsen said:

Yeah, on second thoughts, I’ll just go to f***ing Wembley instead. Look out, that London, Captain Sensible is coming! 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Last season's team was experienced but too old, Fulham had a younger and more dynamic team and were more attacking. This year's Villa team is younger, attacking and in excellent end-of-season form - that's why I'm more confident this season than I was last season, but we still have to turn up and play at our best if we want to beat Derby. That's where Smith will earn his money in preparing them for such a big occasion. 

Fulham finished the season above us, were in terrific form at the end of the season and were clear favourites to win it last year. This year the same applies to us. Let's hope the bookies have got it right! 🤞 

On 20/05/2019 at 16:04, Visiting Ram said:

Anticipated Derby team but we have injury concerns at this point

Roos

Bogle Keogh Tomori Cole 

Johnson 

Mount  Wilson 

Bennett  Waghorn Lawrence 

if Bryson is fit he would go into midfield with Wilson on the right and Bennett to the bench

but if we go all out attack which is rather exciting to watch

Roos

Bogle Keogh Tomori Cole

Johnson

Mount   Wilson

Waghorn Marriott Lawrence 

Your keeper looked awful against Leeds.