Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

Just got this comment on Facebook from one of my Leeds friends: 

Gutted about Leeds, we blew it when we shouldn't have. Pleased so far for Mike Mooney, Aston Villa should always be in the Premiership with their history. 

They don't all hate us. 

• Like 1

We just need to turn up properly I think, and that's not meant in an arrogant way but if we turn up with our heads on and leave everything on the pitch we will win, I'm confident of that barring any severe bad luck. 

Last year we did the opposite, froze up and let the game bypass us, I'm hoping the players and staff here 12 months ago will be saying something pre kick off, JT in particular as I think with all he won and achieved during his career the failure last year might be one of his biggest regrets. 

Come on you Villa boys, let's get it done. 

Visiting Ram makes good points. Pretty useless looking into any sort of playoff position stats. We finished 3rd and undeservedly beat WBA in the final. We then finished 3rd and played QPR off the park in the final losing to their only shot on target.

It is 100% how the teams turn up on the day. Past meetings are irrelevant in a play off final, there is no way of predicting it.

Despite that I still expect Villa to win, but after Wednesday anything is possible!

44 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm excited for them not worrying about McGinn and him tearing through them.

Worried about their wingers and our weak flanks.

Central midfield has been fairly injury ravaged all season and still is with us playing little wingers in there an awful lot in Wilson and Holmes but it’s very exciting when they attack so don’t worry about your flanks as we will have wingers all over pitch but they are not much cop when we need to defend as we will only have two guys who can actually head a ball playing 

Imagine how fired up and motivated Jack will be for this , he will be in the premier next season no matter what the result and will definitely want it to be with us! 

Also will be nice to think if we do go up we will hopefully sign Mings and possibly Abraham and keep McGinn. A potentially great spine to start with.

With Ashley likely to start It's a shame that both our right wingers are awful.

1 hour ago, SmythRam said:

Despite that I still expect Villa to win, 

You're a negative sod, you'll fit in well here. You sure you aren't a Villa fan? 😋

Edited by av1

5 minutes ago, Visiting Ram said:

as we will only have two guys who can actually head a ball playing 

I think this could be a big advantage tbh. Against a big WBA side we played every set piece short, but prior to that we had a good record from set pieces. 

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

I think this could be a big advantage tbh. Against a big WBA side we played every set piece short, but prior to that we had a good record from set pieces. 

It is absolutely, crosses and set pieces have done us all season but bizarrely we dealt with them well vs WBA home and away 4-1 3-1 wins and Middlesbrough 1-1 twice (they didn’t like us running through their legs) but we got done by all the teams in the bottom 4 

4 hours ago, Visiting Ram said:

play off record at Wembley 

QPR - we lost with the best side in years

WBA - we won with the worst side fielded by us at Wembley 

Leicester - we lost after totally out playing them (refs fault) worse day ever 

OK, so please put out your best side and totally outplay us. :thumb:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, privateer said:

OK, so please put out your best side and totally outplay us. :thumb:

There is a lot of pride in that but we can’t put our best side out as we have an awful lot of injuries but we will put one out that tries to win the game the right way  ( a lot of them are out of contract as well so it’s their last game for us probably)

Ram in peace.

I’m glad Villa seem to believe this seasons results have any baring on the outcome of the game. Any complacency will aid us. 

Mason Mount missed both games against you and Jack Marriott is fresh having hardly played for 3 months. They’ll be a handful.

As has been said we’ve sold our 36000+ tickets and the mood around Derbyshire is feverpitch.

Cannot wait.

We are ready and confident in our ability to beat anyone.

The only question is will you stay behind to watch Frank start the bounce?

Current form is a better guide to the outcome. 

Villa went on a great run to the playoffs but seem to have lost a bit of form now. You finished just the two points above us in the end so it shows how poor you were earlier in the season that it took a 10 game winning streak just to make the playoffs. Excellent effort and thank the lord for Grealish. 

But you haven’t done so well recently. draw against Leeds loss against Norwich and struggled to put away 10 man WBA.  

I’ve read your forums and you sound a lot like Leeds did assuming it’s done and dusted. 

On current form we are the one with a head of steam.

We of course will write articles with our own angle on them but Villa are not far and away superior enough to us to warrant the dismissive arrogance shown by some posters. Do the “if the real Villa show up” crowd  believe that they played the real Derby County this season?

We have proved ourselves a big game club this season. Bottlers no more.

16 minutes ago, Block 510 said:

dismissive arrogance shown by some posters.

trust me, it’s just blissful optimism as a coping mechanism for our last 8 years, don’t take it too literally. We’re all shitting ourselves as much as the next Villa man.

Having said that...

1 hour ago, Block 510 said:

The only question is will you stay behind to watch Frank start the bounce?

Ok, guy 👍😉👍

57 minutes ago, Block 510 said:

Current form is a better guide to the outcome. 

Villa went on a great run to the playoffs but seem to have lost a bit of form now. You finished just the two points above us in the end so it shows how poor you were earlier in the season that it took a 10 game winning streak just to make the playoffs. Excellent effort and thank the lord for Grealish. 

But you haven’t done so well recently. draw against Leeds loss against Norwich and struggled to put away 10 man WBA.  

I’ve read your forums and you sound a lot like Leeds did assuming it’s done and dusted. 

On current form we are the one with a head of steam.

We of course will write articles with our own angle on them but Villa are not far and away superior enough to us to warrant the dismissive arrogance shown by some posters. Do the “if the real Villa show up” crowd  believe that they played the real Derby County this season?

We have proved ourselves a big game club this season. Bottlers no more.

I think you're being a little unfair saying we sound like Leeds fans did and writing you guys off. Think we are a lot more level headed than to think we have this one in the bag regardless of how we perform. Maybe I have misinterpreted that, but I think the majority of our fans respect Derby, respect they performed admirably away at Elland Rd, have plenty of quality in their side and it wont be an easy game.

I think however, that said, we should still gain confidence from our performances and the recent matches between us, without being complacent.

I expect a good game, would make us slight favourites, but it will ultimately be the team that performs on the day and handles the occasion better that will succeed. I pray to god that this us.

I will echo posts from others that it will be slightly easier losing to Derby than it would any of the other play off contenders, was really pleased for Lampard to get one over Leeds and Bielsa.

But I will still be heartbroken should the cup not be sporting claret and blue ribbons come 5pm Monday 27th May 🙏