Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

Hope everyone going has the best time.

Make it sound like a home game and make sure you leave that ground knowing you were part of the Villa team that gave it everything.

I'll be screaming at a screen from somewhere here in Australia.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Hope everyone going has the best time.

Make it sound like a home game and make sure you leave that ground knowing you were part of the Villa team that gave it everything.

I'll be screaming at a screen from somewhere here in Australia.

Echo this. 

I'll be at home in Glasgow watching the build up in agony, I just find it unbearable. 

As soon as the game starts I'll move from on the couch to behind it. 

My flatmate has casually mentioned he'll be out when it's on ( I can get a bit loud when watching the Villa) as he knows I'll be in no mood for neutrals! 

UTV

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't subscribe to that.....They will be tough and they want it badly too.

£ 170 million won't attract too many laid back attitudes.

It will be a different kind of tough to the Leeds and WBA encounters where we were clattered and stopped playing....Derby can play, if they get going.

It will be no pushover, for either side.....Derby have just dismantled a very durable Leeds team in their own back yard, while we have overcome a very strong Albion side in a Passionate local Derby, in their back yard.....Both teams showed much character and Both teams have a very close and impressive form guide.

Respect all round ..me says.

PS your last line is my concern and also that we have players on the flanks that play like its a final.

Totally, min £170m, minimum. Stay up and it's closer to £300. 3 years parachute payments and 2 years of top TV money.

That and a lot of time to prepare will definitely put the pressure on. It's mostly now down to who handles that better. The away leg at the baggies we let the occasion get to us and we took too many touches and moved the ball too slowly. Can't do that again, need to play with some freedom or we won't get the best out of our lot. That's a massive ask when everyone upstairs at the club will be impressing very heavily the need for us to go up on the coaching staff and players!! 

It's true for both sides though so if they don't cope well with the size of the game then it opens the door for us.... be hard to tell till we get a look at them in the tunnel...

2 minutes ago, kieranavfc said:

It'll be kicking off at 9am here. Will be quite nice to wake up after a weekend at 7am on a Monday morning and start drinking, to be honest.

Where are you based mate? 

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I refuse to be anything but nervous until we get the result but mate from Leeds thinks we'll beat them easy 

You're mate might be right. We've done it comprehensively twice this season. They've not scored and we've got seven goals against them.

But it's a different game in so many ways in this meeting. Everything to be gained over one fixture. A year worth of commitment on the line.

Temptation to be audacious will be everpresent. There will be place for bold displays, but impertinent ambitions will likely prove costly.

This is true both of tactics instilled by coaches and the moment-to-moment decisions of the players as the game plays out.

It's Derby who have more soul searching to do to come up with a performance that will merit the desired outcome.

I only hope that the line above doesn't become the very thing that unravels us during the match. But I don't even want to indulge doubt about our game.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I expect Smith to send those players out the Aston Villa way, 'Prepared'.

In life, you won't always be motivated, and that's why you must learn discipline. I believe that will be true of this decisive football encounter too.

Who wouldn't be motivated to go out and win the playoff final? The urge to win will be unanimous, despite being uniquely reflected from one individual to the next.

I'm sure Lampard will have an influential way of inspiring in his team the kind of confidence he had going into the big games as a player.

Who knows maybe more so than Smith. Smith's never really performed on these stages in any capacity outside of his own mind.

I know why I was backing Smith even when the disgruntled groans from supporters were so many, and loud, that it seemed like he may not last a season.

I backed Smith because despite the results being poor, we had shown that we could be better than any other side, at the fundamental aspects of the game.

We have not strayed in our focus on those fundamentals and developing them to our needs. I guess the outcomes speak for themselves at this point.

Quietly confident..

UTV!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I refuse to be anything but nervous until we get the result but mate from Leeds thinks we'll beat them easy 

I think we'll win it, not easily but definitely. And I'm scared shit anyway!

3 minutes ago, Hoganaldo said:

Anyone know if the game’s reffed with VAR as it’s Wembley?

Doubt it. 

VAR is usually done by competition. This is a Championship game

1 hour ago, Hoganaldo said:

Anyone know if the game’s reffed with VAR as it’s Wembley?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/championship-playoff-final-var-technology-180m-wembley-stadium-a8850016.html

Video assistant referees will not be used in the Championship play-off final despite an estimated £180million windfall for the winners.

The decision has been taken because VAR has not been in use in league competition, but goal-line technology will be used during the match at Wembley on 27 May.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1