Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So Ashley Cole will be left back and is 4th choice? 

In a fashion - the squad have gone to Portugal but Ashley Cole stayed at home - make of that what you want.

no worries if he plays because he absolutely knows what he is doing 

• Haha 1

I'd say my general feeling about this game is cautiously optimistic. If both teams turn up I think we've got enough to still go on and win the game. I do think Derby are a good team, and I do like the way Lampard sets them up and he's a good bloke. Though, I think we've got more about us. There's something kinda special happening at Villa ever since Grealish returned and was given the armband. I think the final could completely hinge on what type of a performance he puts in. 

That said, I'd be much happier (if that's even possible) to lose to Derby than to Leeds. Leeds are just horrible and i'm very glad Derby knocked them out. 

Leeds' aggressive style of play would cause us more problems than Derby's too, imo. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Visiting Ram said:

Curtis Davies

Oh, now there's a blast from the past. One of the reasons O'Neill got rid of Gary Cahill 😐

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Block 510 said:

Thanks for the response.

Completely agree that it’s all down to one game.

I’ve just been providing a bit of balance. A lot of posters here have written us off.

Yes I thought we were done against Leeds and I thought we’d thrown it away when we were 5 points behind Bristol but the fat lady still hasn’t sung.

We are not some little no hoper club. We have been in the playoffs more often than not and faced disappoint on 6 of the previous 7 attempts. We’ve paid our dues in this league. 

But playoff football doesn’t do what’s right or fair. It mostly comes down to who gets the rub of the green and i’m hoping we get it next Monday.

All the best to Villa after the game. Always liked them as a club.

Genuinely  I haven't seen many dismiss Derby, and where I have I think there was more of a I would rather play Derby than Leeds as Im sure you would rather have played us than West Brom based on league position

Its actually a lot of neutral fans that are saying we are favorites and the bookies - My nerves will be there from the first till last whistle 

Same to Derby to, no issues with them as a club or their supporters - Actually had a beer with a few of them pre your game at st andrews in Birmingham

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cb_82 said:

Genuinely  I haven't seen many dismiss Derby, and where I have I think there was more of a I would rather play Derby than Leeds as Im sure you would rather have played us than West Brom based on league position

Its actually a lot of neutral fans that are saying we are favorites and the bookies - My nerves will be there from the first till last whistle 

Same to Derby to, no issues with them as a club or their supporters - Actually had a beer with a few of them pre your game at st andrews in Birmingham

No, West Brom all day long a team we actually destroyed twice this season 4-1 away 3-1 at home we could have scored 20 in them games - they hated the way we play 

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I'd say my general feeling about this game is cautiously optimistic. If both teams turn up I think we've got enough to still go on and win the game. I do think Derby are a good team, and I do like the way Lampard sets them up and he's a good bloke. Though, I think we've got more about us. There's something kinda special happening at Villa ever since Grealish returned and was given the armband. I think the final could completely hinge on what type of a performance he puts in. 

That said, I'd be much happier (if that's even possible) to lose to Derby than to Leeds. Leeds are just horrible and i'm very glad Derby knocked them out. 

Leeds' aggressive style of play would cause us more problems than Derby's too, imo. 

Well we will be giving Leeds the ovation they deserve during the game and feel free to join in it would be great at Wembley—— Leeds Leeds are falling apart again ———— this will happen i promise you 

Edited by Visiting Ram

No doubt this will be a tough tough game. (Saying it twice makes it tougher).  Yes we have done well against Derby in the league but form does not matter in these games and the line ups were much different for both teams. Derby were missing Mount both games and we did not have Mings for the first game or McGinn for the second game. Derby were inspired against Leeds in the second leg and we have not played well ever since the Bristol City game imo.

Derby are quick on the break and play at a good tempo with Wilson and Mount picking up good positions in midfield. They are suspect at the back with Keogh and Tomori for me and I am very glad Malone is not playing as Adomah and Elmo had great success against Cole in the league game. I imagine Ledley will be play for them as Huddlestone struggled with the legs of Grealish and McGinn at Pride Park. My big worry with Derby is Marriott and the ball over the top as I don't think Mings and Tuanzebe are that good at dealing with it. If Marriott is at his game he can be a right nuisance much in the same way as Gayle was for WBA.

For us, I am hopeful that Grealish and McGinn will have much more space in midfield and McGinn especially will love the tempo of the game and will be able to break forward at pace. Tammy has done the number on Tomori and Keogh twice now and he seems to like playing against them. I hope he turns up as he was poor against WBA in both legs for me. Our big weakness is on the right hand side as we all know. Neither Green or Adomah have played well when starting and Kodjia has issues tracking back albeit he is a danger man going forward (9 goals this season). I'd be tempted to play Kodjia because he loves a big occasion and can create something out of nothing. Further, Cole won't be bombing up and down like he used to so Kodjia can peg him back. The more conservative option for me would be Adomah who is solid defensively with Green/Kodjia being used as an impact sub. 

It should be a great match with two good attacking teams. I will go for 2-1 Villa.

Edited by omariqy
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Exactly how I feel.

Not to give Leeds or Albion too much credit......We struggle against most teams who adopt an aggressive style.....We have some players in the team that can cope with it and others who can't.

• Like 1

Anticipated Derby team but we have injury concerns at this point

Roos

Bogle Keogh Tomori Cole 

Johnson 

Mount  Wilson 

Bennett  Waghorn Lawrence 

if Bryson is fit he would go into midfield with Wilson on the right and Bennett to the bench

but if we go all out attack which is rather exciting to watch

Roos

Bogle Keogh Tomori Cole

Johnson

Mount   Wilson

Waghorn Marriott Lawrence 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kieranavfc said:

Think Whelan starting is a shoo in with Mount and Wilson in their midfield. I'd start Adomah on the wing, in fact I'd be tempted to put El-Ghazi up against Cole and have Adomah on the other side.

But....

Abraham - 26 Goals, 3 Assists 

Hourihane - 8 Goals, 11 Assists 

McGinn - 6 Goals, 9 Assists 

Grealish - 6 Goals, 7 Assists 

El Ghazi - 5 Goals, 6 Assists

Kodjia - 9 Goals, 2 Assists

4 hours ago, omariqy said:

have not played well ever since the Bristol City game imo.

This is because all the teams since Bristol have done a job on Grealish and Mcginn. This meant our front 3 were isolated and ineffective. I don't think Derby has the players to nullify their threat. 

That said, I'm expecting a closer game and am concerned about Mount, Marriott and Wilson. Derby's defence is it's weak area and i think we will have enough to exploit it. 

2 hours ago, kieranavfc said:

Think Whelan starting is a shoo in with Mount and Wilson in their midfield. I'd start Adomah on the wing, in fact I'd be tempted to put El-Ghazi up against Cole and have Adomah on the other side.

Adomah had his best spell for us last season playing on the left, and for me that’s where he’d start the game with ElGhazi on the right. Honestly thought Smith made a mistake playing Hourihane instead of Whelan at the Hawthorns.

I hope so but haven't seen anything to suggest the whole squad has gone.

Derby have gone to Portugal together while ours are having their own free time, I would feel Derby are preparing better than us. 

Edited by Lord Willard