Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Just now, Genie said:

I am still staggered at how closed your mind is. That there is more than 1 way to do something. That someone has a different view. We haven't even kicked a ball in the premier league yet but you're completely closed to the fact that we've pulled off a series of master strokes. Open your mind to other possibilities. 

You're selling your opinions as facts.

You're labeling differing opinions as stupidity.

No no no. 

I have reservations about it and i'm not 100% convinced that every signing will hit and we will be amazing. 

However, the alternative approach would have been ridiculous. This was the smart and ambitious thing to do. Will it work? No one knows yet but it was without a doubt the right thing to do

So Villa. This is what happens when we just buy an England international keeper and a Zimbabwean midfielder and everyone gets an answer to the "what do we do about Green?" question and we loan a nipper to Cheltenham is it? I hope you're happy.

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Sam Allardyce is to football what Ann Widdecombe is to politics. 

Post like this don't help. You don't have to love him, but he has a very good record as a manager. He was the national team coach.. but no, doesn't know what he's doing

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

The happy bus tends to have bricks thrown at it before it arrives here.

We keep telling them to come round the M6 and down the Aston Expressway but for some reason they keep coming up through Small Heath. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Will it work? No one knows yet but it was without a doubt the right thing to do

You don't know if it will work but you do know that without doubt it was the right thing to do? 🤔

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Post like this don't help. You don't have to love him, but he has a very good record as a manager. He was the national team coach.. but no, doesn't know what he's doing

Remind me how that went?

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

He’s been an effective manager for middle of the road largely lower table PL clubs. His time as England manager and the way in which it ended are hardly any sort of positive endorsement. 

I'm not sure light hearted comments should be considered as anything other than what they are, light hearted. Although I personally think any comparison between Big Sam and Ann Widdecombe should be restricted to their respective pole dancing abilities. 

Just now, TheStagMan said:

Yeah all 1 of them. Slovakia. 

There was something else that happened during his tenure if I remember correctly. 

I'm not sure if this could be any more off topic and irrelevant if you tried. He left by mutual consent for a non football related incident (as you know).

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

You don't know if it will work but you do know that without doubt it was the right thing to do? 🤔

Of course. The alternative was so ridiculous. There are no guaranteed ways to do it so no one knows. Unless all of a sudden you're the guy to figure out the exact way to plan and carry out guaranteed success in professional football. Listening to Big Sam makes me think you probably aren't.

Sam's comments to me were made off the cuff and out of a lack of research on what has happened at Villa since the playoff. His advice to sign 3-4 quality players would have given us a solid first XI and then kids and semi retired old pros as backup. A sure fire recipe for relegation. 

While of course it's not ideal to integrate so many players at once it's the really only viable option in my view. And while there's always risk attached, Smith and co have done their best to mitigate the risks with a careful process of finding players that suit his system and have some pre-existing relationships with each other or at least have the sorts of personalities that suit the broader collective. 

You can see that in how many of our signings Dean has said he's been tracking for a long time. This is not some slapdash mad minute shopping experience, it's been well planned and extremely well executed. 

Of course that guarantees nothing when the big show gets underway, but they've given it a bloody good shake. 

The beauty is if disaster strikes and we are relegated, we will have a young, talented squad full of players who will either commit to the cause of bringing us back up, or who we'll be able to cash in on to mitigate the costs of relegation and allow us to resupply with good young talent. 

So I can understand the nervousness, but in my view the club has played an absolute blinder this window. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Of course we don't know how it will work out but we have given ourselves the best chance of a good season.

I don't think anyone can disagree we have had a superb transfer window and Thank you to the owners for that.

It's now down to Dean and his team to produce. I'm confident they will  UTV

Edited by pintpotvilla

1 minute ago, TheStagMan said:

Yeah all 1 of them. Slovakia. 

There was something else that happened during his tenure if I remember correctly. 

Playing a bit of "pocket billiards" after the embarrassing end to his very short England career...

Image result for sam allardyce fraud